Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - coastliner

Hello everyone - can anyone please recommend which car would be best for my poor old German Shepherds to get in and out of (they're both 11 & can't jump up very well now). The following features would be essential:

- as compact as possible (estates are out because of parking where I live)

- have a low level boot entry so they can jump in and out as easily as possible.

- have decent boot / interior space for transporting two large dogs

I'm looking for something which is a current production model and can spend up to about £13,000 - £14,000 for the right car either new or used.

Many thanks in advance for your help.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - Leif

At the risk of stating the obvious, can't you get some sort of folding ramp?

Thanks for your reply. I could buy a ramp, but I am ready to change my car anyway so am looking for something which is suitable and which can be used without aids. Cheers.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - iainbo

Probably a Citroen Berlingo / Peugeot Partner or Fiat Doblo would suit, low load height, not as long as the big estates, but tons of room in back and quite tall so would prob suit the dogs. You would get a new / nearly new one for your money. There are also a few of these about that have been adapted for wheelchairs in the back, and they have ramps, might be worth thinking about.

Fiat Qubo / Citroen Nemo / Peugeot Bipper is even shorter, but may not be big enough.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - Bobbin Threadbare

The OP said that the car shouldn't be too big (no estates). The cars that spring to mind for me are a Honda Civic (new one) which has a low boot lip and the seats fold completely flat. Not a bad boot size for a hatchback either. The new Fiat Panda has a flat boot ingress but I'm not sure two German Shepherds would fit.

Otherwise it's estates!

My mum gets a labrador into an Aygo but the dog sits in the passenger footwell......!

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - unthrottled

but the dog sits in the passenger footwell......!

I thought I was the only person who puts their dog there! The dog likes it because the footwell has sides which provide support. The only snag is that I sometimes try to change gear with the muzzle. Oh, and forgetting to turn off the hot air supply to the footwell...!

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - Bobbin Threadbare

but the dog sits in the passenger footwell......!

I thought I was the only person who puts their dog there! The dog likes it because the footwell has sides which provide support. The only snag is that I sometimes try to change gear with the muzzle. Oh, and forgetting to turn off the hot air supply to the footwell...!

This particular dog likes my Mazda - she licks the gear stick while I am driving, and snuffles the passenger window. You mock me for having a Magic Tree but it's necessary with a dog! She licked the last Magic tree though....

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - barney100
With my old Samoyed dog when he got old it was a case of pick him up and put him in, he wasn't keen on ramps. If you get the front legs in then sort of heave the back end up it's not too much trouble....dog soon gets the idea.

Thanks for your replies all.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - Man without a plan

OP, I know you said NOT an estate, but might I suggest a Seat Ibiza Sport Tourer (estate)...

It is only 18cm longer than the standard hatchback car so not really too big and has a decent boot - not sure whether the dogs would fit, but obviously you'd check that anyway.

I just got a 6 month old Ibiza ST in decent spec for £9k so well within your budget.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - TeeCee

Sorry, but I just can't get rid of the mental image of an elderly German shepherd putting two dogs into a rusty old Volkswagen combi.......:-)

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - Avant

Why can't they be called Alsatians any more?

The Ibiza ST sounds like a good idea: the crucial attribute you need is a low loading lip and a floor that's level with the lip. You'll have to wander round showrooms to find that out: I'd also suggest the Nissan Note, which is tall rather than long.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - mike hannon

How much longer do you expect the dogs to live? IE, is getting ramp more sensible?

Most pedigree dogs don't live much beyond 10 do they?

They generally live to about 13 or so. When they have gone however, I shall give a good home to two more lovely dogs like them who have been rescued from appalling owners - believe me there's no shortage. I am looking to the future in my next choice of car.

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - MikeTorque

The Ibiza ST has a firm ride, better to get a car with a more comfortable ride for eldely dogs. We have 2 rescue dogs, you're right coastliner there is not a shortage of dogs waiting to be rescued.

It's worth taking the dogs along to a larger car dealership which has a variety of cars available and seeing which cars are most suitable for yourself and for transporting the dogs and for them being able to get in and out of the car. Using a ramp can be of help for older dogs or dogs that suffer with hip/leg issues etc. but otherwise once they have their front legs up onto the rear load area they usually go in ok with a lift up of their rear quarters, the main thing is they feel safe when doing so. Alternatively a variety of support tools are available to help load a dog into a car, for example, a Lift Harness, Collapsible Dog Steps, Dog ramp.

Avant, Alsatians are the same as German Shepherd Dog, see link for more details : http://www.alsatians.com/Alsatians.htm

Which car best for my elderly German Shepherds? - Trilogy
A couple of years ago a friend was looking for a car that her elderly border collie could get into. She ended up with a Ford Fusion, short with a low load sill. Its not very exciting but she has been pleased with it. It is a diesel giving c.60 mpg.