Gutless 406 Estate - DEE
I have recently purchased an October '98 Peugeot LXTD diesel estate fitted with a cat. Having previously owned a 405 Turbo diesel estate I am very disappointed at the lack of power in the 406. It seems to have no more power than the Citroen 1.9BX diesel (non turbo)that I once owned.

I am wondering if either the turbo is not working (I have not yet felt or heard it come into operation), or whether there might be a problem with the cat.

I would be interested if anyone else can throw any light on this, or is this what I should expect from the 406?
Gutless 406 Estate - Hugo {P}
Dee

I suggest you take this car to a Peugeot dealership and ask someone in the know for an opinion.

A salesman or a service manager in the know will know what to expect from the car. They most likely won't charge you for an honest opinion. They may take it round the block for you.

Don't offer any possible reasons, just ask if this is the sort of performance you could expect from this car.

I find main dealers are pretty sympathetic if they know you're on a tight budget. They know at some point you'll go back to them if they give you good service. Remember it's 5 times as expensive for them to recruit a new customer than to keep an old one.

Hugo
Gutless 406 Estate - M.M
DEE,

Actually the 1.9TD in the 406 Estate can feel sluggish at times. This is quite a large car for that engine. It will not feel nearly as lively at a BX/ZX/306 with the same engine.

It should pull well once above 2100rpm, don't expect a kick in the back from the turbo as it comes in though.

Hugo is right that someone who knows these cars will be able to tell you straight away if the turbo is working.....I would! It could be a host of things causing poor power from a blocked cat to fuelling or timing faults in addition to the turbo.

Any excess smoke under power?

MM
Gutless 406 Estate - Paul Robinson
I have the same car, but the saloon. I know mine to be in perfect health and it's gutless too! The estate must be more heavy and worse. I made the same mistake having had basically the same engine in a BX TZD, which was lively, but the extra weight, cat, air con etc. must make a huge difference.

As a 911 driver said to me 'at least you don't have to worry about getting caught speeding all the time'!
Gutless 406 Estate - volvod5_dude
Bought a new 406 1.9 TD estate in 1998 same problem gutless, had it checked by the dealer he said it was ok. Also had starting problems which the dealer couldn't seem to fix. Kept it 11 months then dropped it before the warranty ran out and bought a Volvo V70, best move I've ever made concerning cars.

VD5D.
Gutless 406 Estate - DEE
I have the same car, but the saloon. I know
mine to be in perfect health and it's gutless too!
The estate must be more heavy and worse. I made
the same mistake having had basically the same engine in a
BX TZD, which was lively, but the extra weight, cat, air
con etc. must make a huge difference.
As a 911 driver said to me 'at least you don't
have to worry about getting caught speeding all the time'!

Hi

Thanks for reply, sounds logical but don't forget the 30 and 40 mph speed restrictions

DEE
Gutless 406 Estate - DEE
DEE,
Actually the 1.9TD in the 406 Estate can feel sluggish at
times. This is quite a large car for that engine. It
will not feel nearly as lively at a BX/ZX/306 with the
same engine.
It should pull well once above 2100rpm, don't expect a kick
in the back from the turbo as it comes in though.
Hugo is right that someone who knows these cars will be
able to tell you straight away if the turbo is working.....I
would! It could be a host of things causing poor power
from a blocked cat to fuelling or timing faults in addition
to the turbo.
Any excess smoke under power?
MM

Hi Middleman

No excess smoke, am going to get Main Dealer to give it a run to see what they say. Thanks

DEE
Gutless 406 Estate - rg
Ditto everyone else.

FWIW

I test-drove the 406 2.0 petrol and thought the dealer had fobbed me off with the 1.8 or worse...

It is a fair old lump of body to lug around (a bit like me really).

Upside must be survivability due to a robust frame.

Did anyone else see the photo of the remains of a 405 estate involved in a tragic accident in Lincolnshire over the Christmas period? An encounter with a BMW with no lights on in the dark. A sobering lesson on the importance of the impact-resistance qualities of the body shell. What price performance?

rg

Gutless 406 Estate - DEE
Dee
I suggest you take this car to a Peugeot dealership and
ask someone in the know for an opinion.
A salesman or a service manager in the know will know
what to expect from the car. They most likely won't charge
you for an honest opinion. They may take it round the
block for you.
Don't offer any possible reasons, just ask if this is the
sort of performance you could expect from this car.
I find main dealers are pretty sympathetic if they know you're
on a tight budget. They know at some point you'll go
back to them if they give you good service. Remember it's
5 times as expensive for them to recruit a new customer
than to keep an old one.
Hugo

Hugo

Thanks, sounds a good idea, have got to go to a dealer to get another key anyway so wil get them to give it a run. Having read the other replies I have a feeling they will say this is what I sould expect.

DEE
Gutless 406 Estate - Andrew-T
This sounds just like how I felt when I swopped my 95M 306 XRDT for a 97P version. Even after several doses of injector cleaner and long trips, it was never as good. The obvious difference was the cat and its associated ECU. Peugeot eventually cured the problem with the HDi engine.