jaguar xf - mechanical failure - dasp

I have a 2008 jaguar xf, purchased from an independant dealer 6 months ago , it recently lost power after starting in the morning, it then refused to start. Having towed it to a jaguar dealer I have been informed I require a new engine. It has been driven 43,000 miles. Has anyone any advice whether I should go ahead or be looking for compensation? or get a second opinion.

thank you, dasp

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - Brit_in_Germany

Dasp, do you have any further information? Did the dealer give any indication as what failed?

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - craig-pd130

It's out of the manufacturer's warranty, but if it's got a full service history you might be able to get some goodwill from Jaguar, depending on exactly what has failed.

Did it show any symptoms or niggles before the starting problem presented itself? Which engine is it, petrol or diesel? Which engine variant? As said above, what did the Jag dealer say, apart from telling you it needs a new engine?

Does it have any of the issues / problems described here: http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/carbycar/jaguar/xf-2008/?section=bad Apparently early cars are prone to random electrical problems.

As a replacement engine will be likely to cost several thousand quid, you should definitely find out exactly what's wrong and what's failed.

Edited by craig-pd130 on 22/04/2012 at 18:37

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - unthrottled

For catastrophic engine failure, it is all likelihood, an oiling problem-either lack of oil or an oil pump/drive problem. Most other things can be repaired.

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - daveyjp
A friend with an S type 2.7 diesel with 30,000 has experienced the same. Jag dealer supplied, he'd had it a few weeks and it went bang. Jag say a new engine is required, their compo offer is nil.

I suspect a previous owner neglected it, a danger when buying modern diesels which need specific oils and changes when required, not when owners think they are due.

My X type was down to 6,000 mile changes, that adds significant costs to ownership and ignoring the service required warning is all too easy.
jaguar xf - mechanical failure - Peter.N.

I believe that the recommended oil change intervals are way to high and are responsible for many failures, particlularly torbo's, with 6,000 mile oil changes as dave says you shouldn't have to many problems.

You can save a great deal of money by doing the oil changes yourself especially if you shop round for the cheapest in spec oil.

What is it that causes these oils to degrade so quickly? 6000 miles is ridiculously low. We don't have extreme cold or hot weather in this country, so that's an obvious cause of short oil life out of the way. I know most people will blame high specfic outputs, but in all honesty, most people use very little of the available power for any length of time, soi can't see heat being the issue either.

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - balleballe

I find it confusing where some manufacturers claim that due to the technology available in synthetic oils, 20k changes are ok; yet others say every 6k

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - gordonbennet

''I find it confusing where some manufacturers claim that due to the technology available in synthetic oils, 20k changes are ok; yet others say every 6k''

Toyota have never gone down this extended service interval route, seeing as in practice they stand by their products long after warranty expires its understandable, even though it probably results in lost fleet sales.

For example the latest Avensis is still ten thousand miles servicing, but then they and Lexus don't feature in threads like this.

As a company i have the greatest respect for their ethos is good enough for me.

I would agree. Toyota have been hit hard through lost market share by their refusal to play the smoke and mirrors game.

But 6000 mile oil change intervals?!

But 6000 mile oil change intervals?!

Well funny you should say that, my 2007 Hilux service interval was 9000 miles, but enquiries revealed that the same 9k applied in places like Australia where kilometres rule.

Though to be fair Toyota are quite happy about specifying semi synthetic oils, and their servicing costs are so reasonable and the service depts so competent that things even out.

Edited by gordonbennet on 23/04/2012 at 23:40

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - NARU
Though to be fair Toyota are quite happy about specifying semi synthetic oils, and their servicing costs are so reasonable and the service depts so competent that things even out.

I agree. £179 for an intermediate service for my landcruiser. Was cheaper than my MX-5.

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - daveyjp
Blame the DPF for the reduced intervals on my 2.2 auto X type, it dictates when new oil is required based on regenerations, oil dilution again. The 2.7 may be different as it is a PSA unit, but with a DPF the correct oil must be used.

Non DPF X type diesel has 12,000 mile servicing.

Blame the DPF for the reduced intervals on my 2.2 auto X type, it dictates when new oil is required based on regenerations,

It is inevitable that if you fire the injectors when the piston is too far down the bore, fuel will inpinge on the cylinder wall and dilute the oil. The problem gets worse at low load because the gas temperature is too low to evaporate the fuel (which is why regens are interrupted at low speeds).

With DPF, it's better to use as much passive regeneration as possible. But this requires use of the throttle to which most people these days some rather averse.

The dreadful government advice to feather the throttle makes this problem worse.

but enquiries revealed that the same 9k applied in places like Australia where kilometres rule.

Australian Heat and dust causing premature oil degradation?

but enquiries revealed that the same 9k applied in places like Australia where kilometres rule.

Australian Heat and dust causing premature oil degradation?

Quite possibly, but many knowledgeable posters on the Australian forum were from Thailand where Hilux's for that side of the world are made (European models built in South Africa), and they quoted the same service schedule 9k kms, Aussies seem to be as wary as Americans about extended servicing judging from comments on their forums.

I've always overserviced my own vehicles in the eyes of some, many years ago i drove for a proper gentleman who owned just about the best maintained fleet of (British only) trucks in the country, his overspecified and meticulously well maintained vehicles had a queue of owner drivers and small hauliers waiting to buy them when they'd completed the 5 or 7 years they were run for with virtually no trouble, i learned much from him.

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - bulkedward

6000 mile changes are simply precautionary

Bulkedward

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - GAJARU

Hi

jaguar xf - mechanical failure - GAJARU

Hi, Did you get anything out of Jaguar in the end for the failed engine?