VW 505.01 oil for Ford Galaxy - bertj
I've just been looking at past postings about the necessity to use this specific oil in pdi engines.
I was staggered at the price of this oil at VW dealers (about £9 litre) so I had this brilliant idea - Ford fit a 115bhp VW pdi engine in the Galaxy; surely Ford oil should be cheaper than VW? So I went to the local Ford dealer armed with the required Ford specification (which I got from a very helpful man at Shell Technical) - Ford M2C 917A.
Firstly the parts man had never heard of it and was very reluctant to look it up,
Secondly (Quote) "We never use it and we service lots of Galaxys (Galaxies?) here",
Thirdly (Quote) "Any good quality multigrade oil will do for diesels"!!
So beware if you have a Galaxy with this engine! If anyone has actually been able to buy this oil at a Ford dealer perhaps you could inform me.
P.S. Shell actually produce their own 505.01 Synthetic Based Passenger Car Diesel engine oil but it doesn't seem to be available to the general public, only to garages in large quantities.
VW 505.01 oil for Ford Galaxy - the conductor
you need pd oil as it is known. avalible from halfords under castrol name ( sorry cannot remember exact name) but about 10.99 for 1 litre. if not try local seat/skoda dealer. you car must have this spec oil as it is to do with the way the injection pump and injectors are cooled on these engines. dont worry i had a fit when my dads 115tdi bora went in for 1st service at vag dealer when bill had £62 for oil!
Thanks for that - it would seem that this oil is actually cheaper at a VW dealer - amazing!
VW 505.01 oil for Ford Galaxy - DavidHM
MUST have? At £45+ for 5 litres, I seriously doubt that, once these cars get off the fleets and into the budget maintenance area, owners will cough up that at every service just for oil. Maybe this is a justification for longer service intervals, because in this case old oil might be better than the wrong oil changed more frequently.
VW 505.01 oil for Ford Galaxy - madf
Another reason (apart from the noise/unpleasantness at idel/low sppeds) why I sold my A4 TDI..

Cost of maintenance is just silly ..
madf
I've just found out that Millers now produce a 505.01 specific oil called XFE-PD (not to be confused with XFE). It costs about £21 for 5 litres.
If you can't find a local supplier Millers have a very helpful website at www.millersoils.co.uk.
As this oil is so new it's not actually shown on their web site but contact details are.
VW 505.01 oil for Ford Galaxy - 547HEW
In answer to "If anyone has actually been able to buy this oil at a Ford dealer perhaps you could inform me."

Yes I have, and have been running my VW Golf PD 115PS engine on it for the last 40,000 miles, no probs.

The oil is branded by Motorcraft as Formula SD. The FINIS code for the 5 litre pack is 1130308, and retails at £20.94 plus VAT.

It was initially easily available from about March 2001, but the last time I bought, I had to hunt some down . I've just checked out a local dealer, who does not stock it, and informs me their chain of dealers do not stock it. Incidentally, the last two packs I bought were coated with dust, suggesting it doesnt move fast.

I hope it is still available, but might have to order it.

VW 505.01 oil for Ford Galaxy - 547HEW
Apologies, Correction to FINIS no.

5 litre pack is 1130310 (was 1130308), same price.

1 litre pack is 1130302 £5.10 + vat.

incidentally, the OIL FILTER for this engine cost me £9.50 +VAT from a VW dealer (in Feb 2001), and is currently £7.14 +VAT from a Ford dealer (same part inside packaging).

Ford FINIS code for filter: 1100696

Thanks for Ford oil info. Especially details about filter.
bertj