entertainment technology - concrete

Greetings all, I know there are some techno savvy people on the forum, so here goes. I have been told that it is possible to connect to the internet via my Panasonic Plasma HD TV and wireless router, then pay a subscription to Netflix or LoveFilm and receive virtually unlimited access to thousands of films, tv series etc etc. I was told I could do this via my laptop or with a little gizmobox and a few cables as a permanent fixture. The gizmobox sounds good and would save moving the laptop from office to lounge every time I wished to view a film. Possibly like to try through the laptop first and if we like the outcome then buy a gizmobox. Does anyone know how to do this? Your comments would be welcome. Thanks. Concrete

entertainment technology - Bobbin Threadbare

To be honest Concrete, I wouldn't bother. Netflix is dreadful in the UK as yet and LoveFilm's download selection is terrible. I get the Lovefilm postal dvds which is a lot better.

If you did want to do this and not use a laptop or XBox 360, you can get a little box that acts as a wireless router and converts the signals from the net into a telly friendly signal. They range from about £40 to a few hundred quid.

The box connects to your telly via a scart lead or HDMI and ethernet port to your network, or it will do it wirelessly.

If you want to plug your laptop in, look at the ports both devices have. Is there a HDMI slot? A USB slot? A VGA slot? S-video? Whatever there is, you can get a cable that will link them up. Best picture quality will be with the HDMI as it's a high def supporting link.

I will just have a look at my laptop and telly and see what I've got, and get back to you about the cable...

Hello Bobbin, thanks for the advice so far. My TV has HDMI, Scart, S-V and a 15 pin connector, but no USB. My laptop has USB, S-V and a 15 pin connector. I use the 15 pin when using my laptop with my projector for slides, so I guess that might be the way to connect the TV to the laptop.The laptop will receive the signal via the wireless router the way it does now I presume, then divert it through the TV. Sounds like I know what I'm talking about! It is a shame that Netflix and Lovefilm seem so poor, no one mentioned that when talking about this scheme, I got the impression the results were very good, in HD too.

It was appealing in so far as for a £5.99 monthly sub you get all the titles. At present with Virgin we pay £5 monthly for Picturebox, a varied changing menu of 'free' movies, usually crap. We can also access Filmflex and pay from £1.99 to £4.99 per film, so Netflix etc looked a good bet. We also have a broadband speed of 60mb which should make downloads quick and easy. But it seems there is always a catch somewhere.

I shall be glad to have your latest comments. Thanks again. Concrete

I use XBox 360 to connect to the net using my telly. Picturebox is on that and I've found Netflix to be similar to it. LoveFilm surprised me because I pay for the damn thing!!

Yes you can connect your laptop to the telly as you would for slides. The laptop is doing the work as far as the internet goes. You can watch BBC iPlayer on a better quality screen if nothing else. Or cats playing the piano on Youtube.......

My laptop has USB, telly has USB and I've plugged it in that way to show people photos. XBox is connected using HDMI.

entertainment technology - unthrottled

Bobbin's got an Xbox! Aw, how sweet! Do you zap aliens all evening?

Concrete-don't get an entertainment system, it'll detract from your back rom time!

Thanks Bobbin, I will get a 15 pin connector and try Netflix and Lovefim via my laptop, both offer a month on free trial. I will let you know how I get on.

Hello Unthrottled, I promise the TV will never replace my enjoyment of the forum. But with the summer schedules coming up (tv speak for worse rubbish than winter), when Mrs Concrete and I do settle down late evening, a decent movie fills the bill very well. So it is worth trying these online providers.

Regards to all, Concrete

No I do not zap aliens all evening. I prefer pc games tbh. Strategy and puzzle beats FPS!

Well, I got connected. I bought a 15 pin VAG and an audio lead and connected the laptop to the TV. Accessed the Netflix website, selected a movie, downloaded and watched it in HD on my 42" plasma screen. Excellent quality of sound and picture. If it remains good then I will buy the Gizmobox and connect the TV through the HDMI lead and not have to use my laptop. Simples. Quite impressed Bobbin, maybe you should try it again. Thanks for your help so far. If ever you need advice about construction or concrete, I'm your man. Cheers Concrete

Good stuff Concrete!

entertainment technology - sandy56

1. Netflix is crap- poor choice of movies./ old/ ok if you are 15 and brain dead.

2. Lovefilm is crap ditto.

if you must

3. Easiest way to connect TV to internet is via XBOX or similar.

and yes I have tried both services.

Hello sandy56, I agree with you to a certain extent. After our free trial we decided not to join Netflix or Lovefilm for online service. Some decent material, but mostly rubbish, so we will reconsider when the service is updated and upgraded. I think Bobbins advice is good: just use Lovefilms postal service for DVD/BlueRay for a far better choice. Cheers Concrete
entertainment technology - sandy56

If you have an XBOX and you have a MS account the ZUNE video service is pretty good- more recent movies on it.