VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - zango

Does anyone know what is the latest with this engine.

Are the problems sorted?

1. Piston damage

2. High oil consumption (mainly 180 variant).

HJ says VAG are doing the right thing and meeting claims (which is true), but this is not the same as admitting they have a problem and pro-actively fixing by recall, or extending the engine warranty.

I am just about to hand back my golf GT160 and take delivery of a Polo GTI 180. The golf has been a nightmare (off the road for 47 days - 2 engine rebuilds, 1 new engine, regular misfires and now high oil consumption), just wondered if I was in for more of the same with the Polo.

Cheers Zango

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - bazza

Well that would be enough to put me off a brand so I admire your loyalty! The VAG forums are full of problems with this particular turbo/supercharged variant, however I know of a couple running fine apart from the odd glitch. I wouldn't trust one out of warranty though!

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - zango

OK thanks.

The Polo GTi was the best choice on the company lease car list. I would not consider it without full maintenance plus replacement hire covered by the lease company.

Difficult to envisage keeping the car without a warranty as you say.

Have the problems with this engine been reflected in the second hand values yet? or increased costs for after market warranties?

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - injection doc

twin charged engine discontinued due to reliability

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - unthrottled

..and cost! The clutched blower + bypass+ turbo was a real Heath Robinson affair. Surprised the bean counters at VAG allowed the project to go ahead in the first place.

twin charged engine discontinued due to reliability.

When and by whom? It still seems to be widely available in all the existing models and some new ones e.g Audi A1, Seat Ibiza ST FR.

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - unthrottled

No, they're just turbocharged. The blower was ditched, but the TFSI stayed the same. They ditched the stratified lean burn concept too and put flat top pistons back in but they still kept the FSI designation.

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - stevett

I'm a GOLF TSI 140 owner (2007) and want to update my VW to a similar model. Have read about reliability issues with the twin charged engines. However, after reading this post i'm confused about the current 160 PS engine which was still used in the 2012 Golf. Does the 2012 160 Golf TSI engine still have reliability issues? (surely not)

Looking at the VW brochure for 2012 it states the 160 engine has a 'turbocharger with waste gate and additional mechanical supercharger" suggesting the twin charger is still in its range. Surely they'd fixed any issues from earlier models?

Regards

Steve

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - balleballe

OK thanks.

The Polo GTi was the best choice on the company lease car list. I would not consider it without full maintenance plus replacement hire covered by the lease company.

Difficult to envisage keeping the car without a warranty as you say.

Have the problems with this engine been reflected in the second hand values yet? or increased costs for after market warranties?

Not so much. The badge commands a high premium, even if the engine is unreliable

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - Collos25

Why on earth the badge commands a premium in the UK is beyond me here in Germany its classed as what it is a cheapish people mover .

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - Paul87

The newer Polo GTI's have a redesigned engine to try fix the oil loss. Older engines can be fitted with a modified breather pipe. It seems its hit or miss if the actual mod works or not.

The first GTI s will be going over 3 years old soon. Would be ineresting to see what happens.

Edited by Paul87 on 13/03/2013 at 20:39

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - Collos25

What about timing chains disolving ,it was voted the Golden Carrot award in Germany for the worst engine produced in 2012.

I have said it wrong, In 2012 it was awarded the Golden Carrot award for the worst engine ever built by VAG.

ref autobild.de

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - stevett

Any recommendations as to my next car with similar punch to 1.4 TSI 140/160 engine, and similar sized car.

VAG group - VW / Seat / Skoda / Audi - VW 1.4 TSI twincharge 160 180 engine - 72 dudes

Have a look at the new Volvo V40 with one of the two petrol turbo engines. IIRC they come in 148 and 178 BHP versions (T3 and T4)