vauxhall zafira 1.8 1999 - engine managemet /fuel emission /flooding with fue - jktom2006

Hi have had problems with my zafira and alan has come back to me with directions to the throttlebody which we will be changing but we have reason to believe the egr could also be the culprit on this one

If you run it it ticks over fine,and eventually will cut out and have wait awhile before it will start again

we would like to know if the pintle on the egr valve goes inside when its open or comes out as this was found to be dirty

vauxhall zafira 1.8 1999 - engine managemet /fuel emission /flooding with fue - RT

On the Vauxhall X18XE1 engine fitted in your 1999 Zafira, the EGR can be easily disabled by making an extra gasket without any flow holes - just undo the two bolts securing the EGR and use the existing gasket as a template - if the pintle sticks out beyond the gasket one hole will be necessary because the other flow hole will still be closed off. This modification will improve throttle response.

I made mine for a 2000 Astra 1.8, same engine, from an aluimium beer can, yes seriously - it worked well for many 10s of thousands of miles.

vauxhall zafira 1.8 1999 - engine managemet /fuel emission /flooding with fue - jktom2006

thanx for the info, this I beleive would be blanking it off and I read some where on another site where they used cola tin and made a gasket but what about on an mot test it could fail on this yes?

Plus we still need to find out if there a problems with the throttle sensor on the throttle body as this needs to be changed too as these items are the only faults left on the car to cure whatever it is hoping and praying!!!!

Once again thanx for telling us this as we were thinking of doing what you have said like as I said we could not see this egr doing anything , but going to put another one on to see

if there is a fault with it and hope our diagnostic reader will come in handy if it arrives it will save us pounds on diagnostic charges, as some garage was charging £35.00 which you would may be go on forever whether it would fix the problems or not

thanx again hoping and praying!!!!!

vauxhall zafira 1.8 1999 - engine managemet /fuel emission /flooding with fue - RT

thanx for the info, this I beleive would be blanking it off and I read some where on another site where they used cola tin and made a gasket but what about on an mot test it could fail on this yes?

No - the MoT test doesn't/can't test the operation of the EGR and unlike some other Vauxhall engines the X18XE1 doesn't set a fault code or turn the MIL on of the EGR is disabled that way.

vauxhall zafira 1.8 1999 - engine managemet /fuel emission /flooding with fue - unthrottled

Why the obsession with deleting EGR? Unlike on diesels, there is no fuel economy/soot benefit to be gained (economy might actually decrease). Just make sure the EGR works as intended!