New Polo Mud Flaps...? - frmarcus
Dear HJ at al: It's absurd that new cars don't come with flaps. I'd like them for my new Polo and am happy to fit myself. Two questions: should I get VW's own and fit them?; if not, what generic would you recommend? I don't want to drill into the chassis (I'm no car mechanic) and would like to avoid metal-to-metal if poss. Halfords has a brand that avoids the need for either - but whether they're any good...

Many thanks indeed.
frmarcus
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - Dynamic Dave
IMHO, the VW ones should fit and look a whole lot better than any universal fitting aftermarket brands.
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - DavidHM
What exactly is the point of mud flaps?

My mother had a Mark II Fiesta with them and one of the many places it rusted (including inside the rear windows) was where the mud flaps were attached to the body.

Now that cars are galvanised and have 12 year anti corrosion warranties, is there any point in fitting them? The back arches should no longer be a problem for rust (Cavalier style) and while they might keep a bit of mud off the bodywork, if the car is dirty enough for there to be a noticeable difference, you can't care that much about its appearance anyway.

Unless someone can prove me wrong anyway.
What exactly is the point of mud flaps?

Ever followed a lorry with defective mud flaps?
A couple of things I can think of straight away,
1. it's to help prevent you from spraying the car behind you with water and loose chippings from the road surface.
2. They help to keep your rear window cleaner.

I must admit to not having any fitted to my Vectra, but the rear bumper has quite a large overhang, so it doesn't kick up much crap off the rear wheels anyway. Other cars with the rear wheels right in the corners (Mini's & Polo's for instance) I hate following unless they've got mudflaps fitted.
DD: You've said it for me... On a wet day, the spray that some cars make - including my own, I'm sure - is awful and overtaking a pain. I think it is, on the whole, safer to have them and I'd like everyone to. I wanted them less for my own car's protection than for the sake of others.

I'd like to know whether HJ agrees. Thanks for the replies
frmarcus
frmarcus,

Another thought, if more cars were fitted with mudflaps, then the futile rear fog light brigade wouldn't need to switch them on when it rains, as they would kick up less spray behind them on the motorway. I think this is why you tend to see a lot of rear fogs on in heavy rain. People look in their rear view mirror and see the amount of spray they're kicking up, then assume that people behind them won't be able to see their normal rear lights.
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - Dizzy {P}
Excellent observation, DD. Can you now think of a way to encourage the *front* fog light idiots to switch off?
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - Keith S
My mondeo has genuine Ford mudflaps (fitted when I bought the car secondhand)

There is no paint on the wing where the side of the mudflap (it wraps around the side a little) has been rubbing against the paintwork.

I would never fit these things if I has a choice unless the design ensures that this can't happen.

They are also an excellent trap for wet mud and salt, just where you dont want it to stay.
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - Blue {P}
I had aftermarket ones come with my last car, I never appreciated the job they did until the front left one came off!

In the past I could clean the car and it would look smart for days, with the missing flap it had splatters up the left side after just a day or two. :(

However, this time I fitted proper contoured Ford flaps, and I agree, they're almost entirely useless as they seem to do nothing to stop the splatter up the side of the car like my old ones did.

I would try and see what they look like next time, and whether they will be effective or not. 'Cos mine certainly aren't :(

Blue
Thanks, all: I do agree with DD: motorwat spray, and the hassle it causes generally, is the issue. But following Blue's point, perhaps some aftermarket ones that aren't permanently fitted (ie, no drilling, no metal-to-metal from Halfords) is the thing to try and, being cheap, can't seemingly do harm. I can always get VW's later...
frmarcus
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - Dave_TD
I would never fit these things if I has a choice
unless the design ensures that this can't happen.

My Octavia has small-ish rear mudflaps moulded in as part of the rear wheel arch liner!
I was told that on modern aerodynamic car designs simply tacking on universal mudflaps would muck up the airflow and adversely affect the fuel economy. The ones on my Skoda seem to be designed to effectively extend the "fairing" effect that flared wheelarches and wide sills already provide. It also has tiny little flaps about 1" in height dangling in FRONT of the rear wheels, same purpose I assume.
Dave: Of course, that's a consideration I hadn't thought of. All-in-all, this aint proving a straightforward matter... I was at Halfords today and noticed - sad that I am - how few cars have flaps. I'm surprised. I still feel that on m/ways they're a good idea - particularly as I've been in two cars recently where the car in front has thrown up a stone and chipped the screen.
frmarcus
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - jc
Fit front mudflaps-that keeps the mud off you;the devil take the hindmost!!
New Polo Mud Flaps...? - cal g
Keith, I am on my 6th mondeo(company) and my last one had ford mudflaps on it for some reason-I never asked for them!.After six months paint was removed from wings due to abrasion from mudflaps.(another ford design fault).So bad it was actually down to shiny metal
Would never use mudflaps on any car.