Various - Automatic Transmissions - ROBBIENUD

I have recently partially lost the use of my left leg. Therefore I need to purchase a smallish car with automatic transmission, preferably a diesel engined one as economy is also a consideration. I hva looked at Opel/Vauxhall Corsa. Citroen C3. Toyota Yaris. Chevy Aveo and similar cars. But looking on various forums it seems as though all references to smallcars with automatic transmissions seem extremely unreliable. Are they really that bad or is it just that only the faulty ones get mentioned, could there be thousands of happy car owners who have never had troubles with automatic, or semi automatic transmission units but just never put pen to paper, or fingers to keys. ??. I apologise in advance if this is an old subject on here, but I am new to this site. I would really appreciate views and advice from people with experience, good or bad.

I am leaning towards a Toyota Yaris diesel which can be purchased with a 6 speed automatic, second choice a Yaris petrol with Multi drive constant velocity set up.

Thankyou

Various - Automatic Transmissions - jamie745

Welcome to the forum.

First off, I'm unaware of small automatics being particularly unreliable, no more or less so than their manual counterparts. You have to remember of the sort of cars you're looking at - Corsa, Yaris etc - the manuals probably outsell the automatics 10 to 1, so the faulty manuals get drowned out and covered up quite easily by all the good ones.

It's difficult to recommend a car without knowing how much you have to spend, how many miles you plan to do etc but I will say I wouldn't consider a small automatic diesel. A bit automatic diesel is a lethargic enough thing without giving it a small engine and you'll never match the manufacturers claimed figures anyway. Unless you're going to do 12k+ theres little point considering a diesel, given their higher cost price and modern diesels tend to not like short trip usage. If you do intend to do that sort of mileage I'd recommend something more comfortable than a Vauxhall Corsa to do it in.

Various - Automatic Transmissions - Hamsafar

"A bit automatic diesel is a lethargic enough thing without giving it a small engine "

Quite the contrary, due to the torque, torque multiplication and ability to rev without slipping a clutch.

Edited by Hamsafar on 09/04/2012 at 10:26

Various - Automatic Transmissions - colinh

Might be worth looking at the forthcoming Yaris Hybrid - particularly if your mileage is lower than the oft-quoted break-even point of 15k miles for diesels. I currently have an Auris hybrid, and my overall average 54 mpg, but tend to do a lot of motorway mileage where hybrids arn't at their best. My local motoring is in the mid-60s. The Yaris HSD should beat these figures.

On automatics generally, I've previously had a torque converter Kia and a DSG VW without problems.

Incidently, as we're on the HJ site, and it's one of his pet subjects - the Toyota hybrid manuals include the following:

"Depress the brake pedal using your right foot. Depressing the brake pedal using your left foot may delay response in an emergency, resulting in an accident."

Various - Automatic Transmissions - Avant

Do be sure to have a long test drive in any car you're considering. A couple of years ago I had a Corsa semi-automatic as a courtesy car, and the jerks when changing gear were appalling and quite impossible to avoid. Vauxhall may have improved things since then, but beware.

Edited by Avant on 05/04/2012 at 23:38

Various - Automatic Transmissions - RT

Small cars with automatics are a double-edged sword.

When fitted with conventional torque converter automatics, their fuel consumption is poor but when fitted with semi-automatic "automated manuals" they can be jerky and unreliable.

Personally, I'd stick to medium-sized cars with conventional automatics - the purchase price won't be much higher nor will the fuel consumption.

Some of Ford's automatics have been poor elderly designs but Vauxhall have always used Aisin, part of Toyota, for their conventional automatics - but avoid Vauxhall's use of Fiat semi-automatics!

Various - Automatic Transmissions - John F

I have recently partially lost the use of my left leg. Therefore I need to purchase a smallish car with automatic transmission, preferably a diesel ....

Curious.......my complete post above is missing!

I'll try again.....we've had an ex-Motability 2000 Focus 1.6 auto for 9yrs - now done 82,000. The autobox is a US Ford/Mazda design with no significant problems as far as I know. Suggest you look for something similar and newer. We get approx 40mpg...and at less than 10k a yr i think you would be better off with petrol, not diesel.

Having vowed once [circa 1970] never to have a Ford, I am amazed at how little has gone wrong in 12yrs - just a rear wheel bearing [a known fault]. Even the exhaust is still original!

Various - Automatic Transmissions - RT

Curious.......my complete post above is missing!

I'll try again.....we've had an ex-Motability 2000 Focus 1.6 auto for 9yrs - now done 82,000. The autobox is a US Ford/Mazda design with no significant problems as far as I know. Suggest you look for something similar and newer. We get approx 40mpg...and at less than 10k a yr i think you would be better off with petrol, not diesel.

Having vowed once [circa 1970] never to have a Ford, I am amazed at how little has gone wrong in 12yrs - just a rear wheel bearing [a known fault]. Even the exhaust is still original!

Ford used to use Jatco (owned by Nissan) automatics in their FWD models but like a number of other manufacturers have changed to using Aisin (owned by Toyota) automatics because of reliability issues.

Jatco RWD transmissions do have a very good reputation though.

Ford used to use Jatco (owned by Nissan) automatics in their FWD models but like a number of other manufacturers have changed to using Aisin (owned by Toyota) automatics because of reliability issues.

Jatco RWD transmissions do have a very good reputation though.

While inspecting the underside during my tri-ennial disc service [hammering off rust and filing the lipping smooth] I noted the sticker on the auto; PVAA XS4P-BF, and googled it. Nothing about Jatco, or Nissan.

It looks as though it was designed to cope with 2litre engines so it should have no trouble handling a 1.6Zetec.

Various - Automatic Transmissions - retgwte

cvt and semi automatics really do have reliability isssues, i would stick with proper torque converter boxes, in the small car sector best of the bunch at the moment are the hyundai i20, suzuki swift, and mazda 2. im a seasoned user of small autos and would avoid the ones you list in favour of my shortlist!

Various - Automatic Transmissions - madf

Automated gearboxes such as Toyota's MMT are great when they work. When they work badly,user experience is NOT good..

Warning : If looking at a Yaris hybrid, make sure the rear seats fold up. They did on earlier models but apparently not on the new model petrol ones. See Which. Ruins one of the best features of teh car... So check the spec.ification is my advice.. and remember the manufacturrer can change spec at any time according to their T&Cs...

Edited by madf on 09/04/2012 at 13:47

Various - Automatic Transmissions - Auristocrat
The seats on the new Yaris still fold - the sliding rear seat, which was a feature of the first two generations, is not featured on the new Yaris.
Various - Automatic Transmissions - ROBBIENUD

I have recently partially lost the use of my left leg. Therefore I need to purchase a smallish car with automatic transmission, preferably a diesel engined one as economy is also a consideration. I hva looked at Opel/Vauxhall Corsa. Citroen C3. Toyota Yaris. Chevy Aveo and similar cars. But looking on various forums it seems as though all references to smallcars with automatic transmissions seem extremely unreliable.

Thankyou to all who have answered the above, certainly given me something to think about. Just to say that I drive a diesel Renault Clio ( 86 bhp) and it is a very quick little car with excellent acceleration etc. I would be happy to have a diesel automatic, but they are very rare indeed . I am now trying to pesuade dealers to allow me to test drive certain new models, something very few seem willing to do.

Again, Thank you. Robbie Nudd.

Various - Automatic Transmissions - Avant

Then don't buy from them. It's amazing how many of them don't seem to want to sell - but equally it's important for the customer not to look as if (s)he is just looking around generally.

Ring up a dealer and be fairly specific about the car you're thinking about, and say you're interested in a test drive. Imply that you want to buy new, unless there is an actual used car that they have in stock that you want to drive.

Various - Automatic Transmissions - Big John

A friend of mine has been running Nissan Note 1.6 Autos for quite a few years (he is on his second). This auto is a traditional tourque converter auto with overdrive and both cars have been very reliable and surprisingly economical.