Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - rg
It's on offer again, but this time lower than last time (was £19.99).

Someone on the forum said some time back that it's made by Esso, so should be a belting good deal.

The nearest I have got to this is Andyspares (GSF)at around £20.00.

rg
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - John S
Rob

Yes, and I believe that's for a full 5 litres too, is it not?

Regards

John S
Sure is. Just about same spec as Mobil 1 at around £27.00/5ltr.

API SJ/CF ACEA A3 B3 (Mobil 1 is B4)

Buy now and start a shortage!!

I think Halfords "owes us one" anyway for all the times when they have been the nearest place for an emergency item. And we have had to pay up.

Such as £6.99 for LHM compared to £3.50-ish at GSF...

rg
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - nick
What grade is it? It would be worth a trip at that price.
5W/40

A customer at the check-out thought about putting it in his '61 Frog Eyed Sprite. I suggested not.

(And no, I don't work for Halfords. I just love it when we can get one back on them.)

rg
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - smokie
Mrs Smokie thought I was mad yesterday when I bought £35 worth of Autoglym products from Halfords - not least as it was raining stair rods outside...

Is there a cheaper source of Autoglym?
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - frmarcus
Ditto: I haven't found much cheaper on the internet but would be pleased to know.
frmarcus
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Blue {P}
Having spent well over 50 quid last years on various Auto Glym products, there aren't many cheaper places than Halfords. BUT, I did find a small independant motor bits shop selling the stuff a couple of quid less per bottle. :) I think the only way is to check some of the small local places and see if they stock it.

Sorry about the "quids" but my system is set up wrongly at the mo so I have no pound sign!

Blue
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Ian D
Halfords 5W40 fully synthetic oil is actually made by Comma and is the same as Comma Syner-G 5W40 which is fairly readily available at smaller car shops for around £25.

Esso do actually own Comma; but Halfords 5W40 synth/Comma Syner-G is not the same oil as Esso 5W40 Ultron even though they all meet the same spec.

So the choice is yours, pay £17.31 for 5 litres of Halfords(Comma) synthetic oil or pay £30+ for 4 litres of Esso Ultron plus £8 for a litre (total £38). Best plan is to go for the Halfords oil and change it twice as often as the manufacturer specifies (about 5000-6000 miles as HJ constantly recommends.)
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Cyd
I ran my R800VS on Halfords fully synth for 25k, before switching to Castrol RS. it seemed to like it and I noticed no difference with the RS.

You sure about the Comma bit? Halfords computer screens list Esso as the supplier of their fully synth.

At this price I expect I'll be buying some in.
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
Problem will be with fully synth at this price its going to find its way into (and out of!) older engines that are quite happy and oil tight with mineral or semi synth. I ran an '85 Bluebird ZX Turbo for years from new on Valvoline TurboV semi then changed to fully synth at 50k, result: a blue cloud following me round and an oily film on the bottom of the previously spotless engine.
Andrew
Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
Andrew,

Leaks. Yep! I thought my encounter with the Frog-Eyed Sprite man (above) was surreal. He might as well pour it straight out onto the drive and "cut out the middle man".

Ditto on my Monterey, where a leak "got worse" after switching to synth. But I needed it to protect the turbo when pulling loads at speeds. The oil pressure drops to below 30psi, and the turbo just keeps spinning like a 125 diesel locomotive.

The Halfords synth seems much "runnier" and clearer that the GSF Total stuff, which is an identical spec.

Warning! The Halfords operative said that there was no sign of how long the offer would last. He said that they simply get a fax from head office to revert to normal price.

A search on the site under "halfords oil" brings up a couple of interesting threads on the subject of oil. Five days after the start of one thread, it reverted to normal price, so watch out!

rg
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - FFX-DM
Not oil, but one can purchase Autoglym products on my local market (Bovingdon) quite cheap. My other half bought some and used it (on his Harley) and it does appear to be the pukka stuff and not a rip off. If you are near SW Herts and fancy a trip to the market, you may be lucky!
Is it from stalls run by those nice men with arrows on their suits and bags marked "swag"?

I understand that they have their own accomodation nearby...

:-))
rg
Is it from stalls run by those nice men with arrows on their suits and bags marked "swag"?

I understand that they have their own accomodation nearby...

:-))
rg
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - IKM
Does anyone know if this oil will quieten the hydraulic tappets on a 1988 BMW318i (M40 engine) with 115000 miles. I currently use Castrol Magnatec 10/40 and I used a flushing additive before the last oil change. The tappets are noisy for the first mile on cold mornings only. I don't want to use an oil that's too thin for this engine.
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Andrew Moorey (Tune-Up)
For the reason I mentioned above I would hesitate switching to a full synthetic at that mileage. More useful would be an application of Forte 'Top End Treatment' Troll round local independant workshops as it is only available to the trade.
Andrew

Happiness is a T70 at full chat!
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - simonsmith473©
I think castrol magnetic is synthetic.
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Ian D
Castrol magnatec is semi-synthetic, not fully synthetic.>> I think castrol magnetic is synthetic.
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Daedalus
Last time you came up with this I pointed out that you could get other good quality none brand name synthetics at you local motor factors. Granville full synth was about £10.00 per 5 litres. Costco have Cheveron full synth at about £12.00.

Having said all of that, I pay £30.00 for 4 ltrs of race grade full synth for the Blackbird, but then nothings to good for the bike, the car gets the Cheveron.

Bill
Bill,

yes, you certainly did:

Re: Oil prices. - Bill Doodson Tue 5 Feb 02 19:54

Try Granville synthetic very cheap and you can get it from good trade based motorfactors. Or Miller oils as in these pages recently.

Bill

I had no idea of the price difference from this posting, though, and "is it any good?"

rg

Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - BrianH
I changed from what ever the main dealer put in, to fully synthetic at 50k. At 151k and a LOT of reading later I use Amsoil 0/30 and by-pass filters. The oil is sampled every 6 months (£10) and now I worry about "Total Base Numbers" (do a search).
HJ is right it is easier to just change at 6000 mls. Its all about dirt.
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - Ben79
I buy my Total 5W40 synthetic oil from my Citroen dealer, the last 5litres was under £19!
Halfords Fully Synth. @ £17.31 - kithmo
The offer is still on at the Rotherham branch, I got some today, thanks Rob.