citroen xsara picasso 2002 - Unsure if i should still buy.. - unsure

Hi, I put a deposit down on a citroen xsara picasso 2002 on friday with 99,500 miles on the clock. I don't really know what I am looking for in a car in all honesty so I'll list the points I thought were good first then tell you my concerns.

No rust under the car or at the bottom of the doors, very very small amount of spotted rust on front wheel arch but nothing compared to my last rust bucket, wasn't too concerned about this.

Interior near enough immaculate, very clean and no smells, exterior has what seemed good body work, just a slight dent above one of the handles but didn't seem important.

Car started perfectly and fast first time (although whether it had been warmed up before I got there is another thing).

All manuals and spare key with it, full spare wheel also. I did a quick HPi check, not stolen, amount of owners correct (1 previous owner - seller I spoke to had only had it 4 months, seemed he bought it for his wife but she didn't like it).

Went round the block for a few minutes, engine seemed very smooth and very quiet, couldn't go further as no petrol and garages are still empty here due to panic buyers.

Passed MOT recently with no advisorys at all, seller had fitted a new exhaust and told me he had serviced it recently, filters, oil etc but obviously no proof of this.

Forgot to look at the service history which is a bit silly of me but as I said, I don't really have a clue.

THINGS BUGGING ME:

I noticed where the back bumper joined the car it had a very bright white kind of sealant showing on one corner, I know I should have asked but I didn't, does this suggest some repairs have been done?

I have no idea if he has fully serviced the car or not recently, just his word for it. I'd obviously have to check the service history before handing over the full amount.

Forgot to check the stereo and windows/lights.

He also said he had recently put new brake pads in which is why they were squeaking slightly when used, should I be concerned about this?

99,500 mileage, is this a bit too much? Am I likely to start getting expensive repair bills past the 100k miles mark?

As it looked in immaculant condition I decided to put a deposit down (private seller) as I know good deals go quite quickly. But sitting here thinking about it I am starting to worry. I don't have anyone to ask or come with me but need another car quite quickly as mine is on the way out.

I suppose I just want someone to tell me if I am an idiot or not and if I should pay out the rest (grand) or if I should lose the deposit (50) and put it down to a bad experience, look around more and try and find something with slightly less miles on the clock and a full service history.

Need to decide by tomorrow really. Really appreciate any help or advice anyone can give me. Even if to tell me if this make/model/year is any good anyway and reliable, is it likely I'll get a few years out of it at least without anything major going wrong?

Edited by unsure on 01/04/2012 at 16:27

Forgot to say, it's citroen xsara picasso xs 1.8l 16v 2002.

If no one has time to answer my original post could anyone at least say if this is a decent car, and if it's likely I will get a few years out of it. As I said I need to decide by the end of tonight really and I honestly don't know what to do.

Also if it's not a good choice can anyone make any suggestions? Need either a small estate type car or a large 5dr hatchback, can't spend anymore than 1400 really either.

Thanks

Edited by unsure on 01/04/2012 at 17:07

citroen xsara picasso 2002 - Unsure if i should still buy.. - Bobbin Threadbare

Ask about the 'repairs'!!! The mileage is just about average for the age of the car.

Just found out apparently no repairs, was detailed in other questions which I'll check tomorrow.

citroen xsara picasso 2002 - Unsure if i should still buy.. - Avant

At your budget level, condition is more imprtant than make or mileage. Unfortunately any 10-year-old car is going to be a gamble: this one has averaged 10,000 miles a year which is about right - not too high and not too low.

Look on Autotrader and see how the price asked compares with other Picassos of similar age. You might find it worthwhile looking at dealers as you get more protection under the Sale of Goods Act than you do from a private seller. But from what you say this Picasso sounds reasonable if the price is sensible: you must expect a few dings and rust spots at this age and the seller seems to have made an effort to make the car presentable. New MoT and clear HPI are in its favour too.

Edited by Avant on 01/04/2012 at 17:26

citroen xsara picasso 2002 - Unsure if i should still buy.. - unthrottled

Don't be automatically put off by cosmetic damage-providing the price reflects it. Once you're in the car, you can't see it! if the car turns out to be good, you can always investigate sorting them out later. First priority is a car that works.

Have a look at the tyres-4 decent ones have a big effect on the value of a car in that price range. Check the engine starts from hot as well as cold!

citroen xsara picasso 2002 - Unsure if i should still buy.. - pd

Frankly, at £1000 banger level any car could give you great service for years or go bang in the first week. That's the gamble I'm afraid at the bottom end of the market.

Xsaras tend to have niggling faults but can often rattle on for quite a while. It sounds like it has had a low number of owners and the current one seems to care for it a bit so is probably as good as anything.

A bit of cosmetic damage at this part of the market isn't really here or there.

Important thing is does it go, start, stop and has it got a decent length MOT.

It goes, starts, stops, beautifully quietly and has 12 month MoT :) Guess I was more concerned about bits not covered by the MoT but as you say, used cars are always taking a chance. It's in much better condition than the last used car I bought anyway which I guess should be a bonus. Just my situation is apart from a few hundred quid kept by for repairs if anything major went wrong I'd be a bit screwed, no car = no job!

Thanks for all your replies though, made me feel better about it :)

Thanks for the reply :) I had a look around, and spent a few days travelling to view at dealers etc, but blimey, the cars were in such a state. When I pointed anything out the general reply was 'that's why it's cheap love!'.

This car has been by far the most well looked after car I have viewed, main reason for putting the deposit down. The MoT and HPI were huge selling points too, apart from a nice sounding engine and good blody work and interior :) I guess I presumed that well looked after interior and exterior would probably mean well looked after engine too, hope I am right!

Maybe I'm not quite so worried now, thank you :)

citroen xsara picasso 2002 - Unsure if i should still buy.. - Happy Blue!

Sometimes you find a good example of a well cared for family car and get lucky. The items you mentioned you were worried about were mainly things you forgot to check. So check them and if they are OK you may well have a car which will give you decent service for a while.