Peugeot Boxer Van 2006 (New Shape) - Dual Mass Flywheel causing vehicle vibration - MarkieS

My Peugeot Boxer van was vibrating while running, a main dealer ran diagnostics, could not rectify the problem, suggested a compresion test & results showed low compression and advised a replacement engine. I had an indipendent mechanic strip the head and no fault was found (main dealer was notified of this, but had no interest in checking the vehicle while stripped down ,so therefore there was no other option than to put back together and van was still running the same. The mechanic noticed that the Dual Mass Flywheel was breaking up and suggested that this was the cause of the problem, I had the dual mass flywheel replaced and the judder was rectified. The main dealer was informed of this and they dismissed this saying there is no way the break up of the Dual Mass Flywheel would cause the running problem. I have had another compresion test done and compression is good in all cylinders. the main dealer is still saying that the replacement of the DMF would not rectify the running problem, and certainly not rectify the compression. My argument against the main dealer is that the new DMF has sorted out running problem but obviously the new DMF wil not rectify compression, I believe an error was made in the initial compression test which led me to incur unessesary costs in stripping the head down. Could anyone please give me advice or technical information comfirming the break up of the DMF would cause vibration in the van while driving as the main dealer arnt prepared to offer any recompence at present, I have all documentation of correspondance, the old DMF and old cylinder head gasket (replaced when cyliner head was taken off) for ibspection if required

Peugeot Boxer Van 2006 (New Shape) - Dual Mass Flywheel causing vehicle vibration - Peter.N.

Although I have never had this problem I would say with some certainty that a failing DMF would cause vibration, after all its a flywheel, put there to stop vibration. The way to make sure would be to note if it was there on over run going down hill as the engine compression would make little difference under those conditions. If the compression was low enough to cause uneven running the car would be difficult to start and would miss on one cylinder when cold. I would be interested to hear what others think.

Peugeot Boxer Van 2006 (New Shape) - Dual Mass Flywheel causing vehicle vibration - MrEckerslikefromRamsbottom

What's your main dealer on? As Peter N says, a flywheel is there to stop vibration - as is the crankshaft harmonic vibration damper pulley at the other end of the engine! When the springs in the DMF start to break up (or the rubber in the damper pulley) then the thing's going to go out of balance and vibrate. Like loosing a balance weight off a wheel.