passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - paul1966

looking at a passat 1.9 tdi estate full service history majority by vw, bit nervous about the milage having only driven petrol cars, anyone know what intervals the timing chain/belt needs doing or what else to look out for. are theyt good cars?

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - Peter D

A very robust engine with an 80K cam belt change but a ossible Dual mass flywheel problem. If it takes off smoothly and no strange vibrations then go for it. Regards Peter

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - unthrottled

Most cars go to the scrap yard with fairly pristine engines these days. The engine might be bullet proof but the suspension and steering will probably be quite long in the tooth. Check the rest of the car first!

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - Peter.N.

Most diesel engines are capable of 300,000 miles providing they have had regular oil changes and I don't think cars under 2.0 L have DPF filters which can be problematic on larger engines. Take a good long test drive if everything feels alright you shouldn't have a problem although it can't be guaranteed of course.

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - Big John

My Skoda Dec 2003 1.9 tdi Skoda Superb (Same engine, gearbox, suspension etc..) has generally been OK. A few years ago it had an alternator fail. Recentley had a bit of hassle with engine management light coming on showing EGR fault - was a leak in a hard palstic pipe on the vacuum system that controls EGR, Turbo vanes & Anti shudder - OK now. I've also had recent wear in OS driveshaft and suspension joints(top arms) - also OK now. Other than that it has (and still is) been a great comfortable car with good performance and fantastic economy (49mpg) for what is nearly a 5m long car.

The 1.9 PD engine is the one to go for - presuming it had been fed with the correct oil. The Bosch soilenoid injectors are much better and more reliable than the later Siemens ones used after 2005/6. If you do ever get any mis-firing it can be due to the failure of the injector wiring loom - actually a fairly cheap fix.

There are known issues with water drainage from the plenum chanber between engine bay and interiour due to drainage blackages (near battery) combined with poorly fitting pollen filter seals. I've never had this problem myself - YET.

Edited by Big John on 18/03/2012 at 23:25

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - Big John

I think the cambelt is now 60k / 4years. Change water pump and aux belts at the same time.

This engine is capable of starship mileages unlike later diesel engines with DPF filters that usually prematurely wear out due diesel contamination of sump oil.

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - craig-pd130

A common fault is that the top ball joint on the front suspension fails (an MOT fail, too). Due to a design flaw, the pinch bolt holding the plot together corrosion-welds itself solid, and usually can't be replaced without removing the front suspension from the car, and cutting one of the suspension arms.

Budget £4-500 per side parts & labour for this. Oddly, this is one of those jobs were it's probably cheaper to have a VW main dealer do it, as it's a common problem. When this joint failed on my 2003 Passat, the VW dealer's quote was £100 cheaper than my local, trusted independent: it's a pig of a job.

See if the service record mentions any front ball joint replacements!

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - spanner dave

I've been a diesel engineer for 40 years and never have I seen an engine as tough as the VW units. Ok Perkins were good in their day, and the early Ford Endura diesels were very robust, but overall, the VW tend to be the engine I'd lean towards if buying. It's fitted to many other maunufacturers cars too ie: Skoda, Seat. High mileage is irrelevant if oil is changed regularly, and the correct grades are used too. This is something my customers always moan about, thinking there must be a cheaper alternative. Yes there is, but don't expect me to use it. DMF's can fail, but rarely a problem, and they'll fail on any diesel, usual customers for this work is Taxi's and our boy racer Golf TDI brigade. My Passat owned from new has done 180k, on it's original clutch/flywheel and still run's great. Our works VW transporter is on 178k and the same (faultless) yes suspension can be a issue for those less than technically minded owners, but no more an issue than any other car, and components are cheap from GSF. You'll always sell a high mileage VW easier than any other make too, basically a safe bet in my view.

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - Railroad.

Personally in my opinion Skoda are the best of the VAG range. Volkswagen (German for 'folks wagon' or 'people's car') are the standard car. Audi model themselves as the upper range, although I don't think this is actually the case in practice. Skoda cars tend to be better built and more reliable. And you certainly get more car for your money. Some people are put off by the Skoda badge. I don't think Skoda have ever been bad cars. Cheap perhaps, but not poor quality.

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - SteveLee

I've been a diesel engineer for 40 years and never have I seen an engine as tough as the VW units.

Are the thousands of longitudinally mounted VW 2 litre PD engines that have gone bang after the oil pump shaft wears round leaving the engine unlubricated at less thatn 60K miles tough?

passat 1.9 tdi - 2004 vw passat 1.9 tdi 150k miles buy or not - Coady1uk

I've been a diesel engineer for 40 years and never have I seen an engine as tough as the VW units.

Are the thousands of longitudinally mounted VW 2 litre PD engines that have gone bang after the oil pump shaft wears round leaving the engine unlubricated at less thatn 60K miles tough?

I believe the thread refers to the 1.9PD which is tough as old boots if properly maintained. The 2.0PD with Siemens injectors (as opposed to Bosch in the 1.9) are a well known blot on VW's landscape.