all - local diesel - barney100

local deesel prices in Hampshire are almost up to 150p a litre. The latest protest by the fairfuel organisation has seemingly fallen on deaf ears. Motorists pay so many taxes it would be interesting to work out how much the average owner pays a year. Road tax, fuel tax, VAT on parts and labour, VAT on the fuel tax.....anyone know the whole score?

all - local diesel - unthrottled

For me, taxes make up about 70% of the cost of motoring. The £220 road tax is a bitter pill to swallow since it represents over 10% of my annual motoring cost and, unlike fuel duty, it doesn't encourage you to do something useful like drive less or more diligently.

For newish luxury cars, depreciation is still the biggest cost-but you'll still hear owners agonising over whether a £30,000 BMW has a £35 tax disc or a £75 one...

To actually address your original question, I look at the RAC figures for 2011.

They put the average cost of running a new car at £6,689, comprising:

Fuel-£1458

Insurance: £551

Maintainance:£472

VED:£111

Depreciation:£3582

Finance:£366

I estimate that taxes comprise £1025/£1622 depending on whether you include the VAT on the depreciation.

For second hand cars, the overall cost was £4,724, comprising:

Fuel-£1556

Insurance: £570

Maintainance:£713

VED:£119

Depreciation:£1286

Finance:£334

I estimate that taxes comprise £1127.

So the more money you have to spend on your car, the less tax you pay. Regressive taxation. Doncha just love government redistribution?

all - local diesel - jamie745

For me, taxes make up about 70% of the cost of motoring.

That fact alone is quite astonishing. If you said that to an American they'd have a heart attack.

Its a shame the Fair Fuel protest has fallen on deaf ears and the Government will press ahead with their plans to derail the economy and punish low earners further. They only 'need' the revenue because their economic growth plans have predictably failed miserably leading to a hole in the budget, and much like the last Government the motorist is the first to be rammed up the a*** when they get in trouble. Easy target you see.

The fallacy in calculating 'cost of ownership' is including depreciation, the people who can afford new cars are not those who will be affected by fuel duty rises so we can forget about them. Its those who have to make do with a £595 car and skip servicing purely because they cant afford it who will be hit, but the Government hasnt given a s*** about them for quite some time so i dont suppose it'll change soon.

all - local diesel - balleballe

The government needs to get cash from somewhere.

How else would they be able to support lazy unemployed McDonalds/Greggs munchers who do nothing?

Or fund useless and pointless wars?

all - local diesel - Roly93

When it comes to fiscal policy the government are like your typical school bully, they go after the vulnerable and leave those that can fight back alone, ie super rich, and people in the city who control the main source of GDP we now have in our society, ie financial services courtesy of the Thatcher government of the 80's

The government needs to get cash from somewhere.

No it doesnt. It gets far too much of our money as it is, they need to get used to operating with a lower budget. The motorist cant bail them out every time their economic plans fail. But thats not the point, the point is the Government wont raise any money from this duty rise because people will just buy less of it, stop going to work, get more economical cars etc so they wont actually raise any money, people will just buy less fuel, all they'll do is punish those lucky enough to still have a few quid which they havent got their mitts on.

How else would they be able to support lazy unemployed McDonalds/Greggs munchers who do nothing?

High fuel prices will kill any economic recovery, its as simple as that. If the Coalition actually wants to raise revenue, get people into work it needs to be slashing taxes which affect the worst off, such as fuel duty. Freezing the duty would've been a ridiculous enough policy but raising it really is the mark of an incompetent fool who's lost his calculator.

Edited by Avant on 16/03/2012 at 22:37

Because Avant has butchered my post for no reason i should probably elaborate, as my post now reads very strangely indeed.

The reason i hate this pathetic argument (usually a silly line like this one) is because the Conservative's have done an excellent job portraying every unemployed person as underclass scumbags. Despite the fact the Conservative's are responsible for rising unemployment numbers. They've also done an excellent job convincing Daily Mail reading middle England that 100% of the Treasuries expendature is on benefit cheats (in reality its 3% of the welfare budget, which in itself is less than half the size of the pensions budget) which is why its always the first thing mentioned whenever Government revenue is being discussed.

The Government spends far too much of our money, billions of it on rubbish they dont need, that much is obvious. Its also obvious that punishing the ordinary person with regressive taxation when the economy is poor will not aid any sort of recovery, however lets stop blaming the unemployed for the Bankers and Government's mistakes please.

Thank you.

I ouldnt care less about what the papers say - in fact; I dont even read them.

I am talking about what I see on a daily basis everyday here in the north-east.

Most are able to work (and there is work in the area for those who want it); just prefer not to.

You cannot solely blame the bankers; now this is what the papers would have you believe! Without them there would be no UK economy

I ouldnt care less about what the papers say - in fact; I dont even read them.

I am talking about what I see on a daily basis everyday here in the north-east.

I would hope you're too busy going about your own life to bother observing everybody elses, but the fact is your view of things alone means very little.

Most are able to work (and there is work in the area for those who want it); just prefer not to.

Nowhere near enough work and just because they're able to work doesnt mean employers want to employ them. Theres 3 million unemployed, is there 3 million job vacancies? No theres not. Also the North depends more on the public sector for employment than the rest of the country, and with the Conservative's smashing the public sector in their quest to put all workers on benefits, areas like the North East are affected more than other areas.

You seem to think 100% of jobseekers could go out and get a job tomorrow if they wanted it, the reality is very different. Theres nowhere near enough jobs and its an employers market, employers only want old people with reams of experience, why will they take on someone who's 4 years unemployed when they get 75 applications from superior candidates?

When the job vacancy numbers match the unemployment numbers then i'll take your point.

You cannot solely blame the bankers; now this is what the papers would have you believe! Without them there would be no UK economy

Theres no UK economy now, because of the bankers. Thats like being happy about being shot because its preferable to being crushed in an industrial accident. Both options are pretty dire.

In my line of work I deal with NHS patients.

I often have a chat with said patients

The above are my observations based on years of 'serving the public'

Yes - there is not enough work for all the unemployed; but there are jobs available for some that want them. Alternatively they could be taken up by 'immigrants' who are willing to work perhaps unsociable hours/in 'degrading' jobs only then for the British to complain about how there's no work.

Jamie, I appreciate your view and opinion but I would disagree that there is no economy because of the bankers; this sounds like something one would read in 'the sun'

Yes - there is not enough work for all the unemployed; but there are jobs available for some that want them. Alternatively they could be taken up by 'immigrants' who are willing to work perhaps unsociable hours/in 'degrading' jobs only then for the British to complain about how there's no work.

This is a tired argument. The fact you ignore is rising immigration pushes wages down while living costs keep rising. Employers want the earth for minimum wage, because they've got used to Estonians and Lithuanians willing to give the earth for dreadful pay. In this country we expect a higher standard, to be paid what a job is actually worth and we look for as close to long term job security as possible, things which are not on offer in said jobs. You cant live properly or plan financially based on seasonal work at below minimum wage living in a tent. You also ignore the fact theres certainly not 3 million 'unsociable hour degrading jobs' out there, so the whole 'British too proud to work' argument still doesnt wash. In fact i have no problem with foreigners coming in to do some work, what i object to is the ones who live in tents here, not paying any council tax, p***ing all over the countryside who go home when our economy slips, leaving us to sort it out. They'll be back to leech again when we've repaired our country. I do hate people who only stick around for the good times.

We shouldnt bring ourselves down to Eastern European levels so as us in the first world can gain an income, if we keep going like that eventually computer programmers will be working for £1 a day. The major problem in todays jobs market is employers dont want to pay, they want everything for free. From the restaurants who only take on waitresses under 18 (because they can pay them less) to the retail chains who signed up for the Government's free slave labour plan because they cant be bothered to employ anybody. Current estimates show businesses in this country are sitting on over £700billion which they daren't part with for risk of losing it. Thats the problem.

Jamie, I appreciate your view and opinion but I would disagree that there is no economy because of the bankers; this sounds like something one would read in 'the sun'

The banks broke our economy. The Coalition is damaging the recovery. Too many weak measures akin to using a sheet of Xerox to plug a nuclear reactor leak. I dont read the Sun apart from when im really in need of a laugh.

I'm not saying immigration is a good thing - this you are assuming

Not all immigrants get paid minimum wage - I know plenty who are not

Yes - British people do generally expect a higher standard, which there is nothing wrong with; but the British aren't exactly known for their work ethic are they?

I also dislike these immigrants who stick around for the "good times"

Yes - employers want everything for nothing; the same can be said for customers and consumers. Times are hard for most.

People dont appreciate the stress levels and the work bankers do. I agree, they are overpayed and somewhat resposible for the state of the economy, but their job is very demanding. Most of the ones I know are at work at around 6am and dont get home till 8pm. Personally; I wouldnt be able to do that

Yes - British people do generally expect a higher standard, which there is nothing wrong with; but the British aren't exactly known for their work ethic are they?

Reputation can often go before people unfortunately. Im not sure where the reputation for 'poor work ethic' came from. Personally i believe in 'you get what you pay for' meaning you pay someone a decent wage you'll get more productivity out of them. Paying somebody £6 an hour and being disappointed when they dont give you the earth shouldnt be mistaken for a poor work ethic.

However with that said, i've met plenty of people - too many to be honest - who are at best average at their jobs. Infrequent incompetence seems to be the name of the game. Whoever hires them has to take some of the blame and i feel theres an odd hiring culture in this country where companies daren't employ somebody of good competence for fear they'll end up running the place, so they go for quiet unambitious incompetence who can just 'see them through.'

People dont appreciate the stress levels and the work bankers do. I agree, they are overpayed and somewhat resposible for the state of the economy, but their job is very demanding.

On their salaries they wont get sympathy from the vast majority of the ordinary public, irrespective of how stressful they find their job. Everybody has problems and stress of their own to deal with and most of it is connected to money, so as far as they're concerned people on bankers salaries have nothing to whine about.

Most of the ones I know are at work at around 6am and dont get home till 8pm. Personally; I wouldnt be able to do that

Maybe they should go home earlier, the less time they spend at work the less time they have to ruin the country. I could do those hours on that sort of salary, do it for a few years, rake in a few bonuses knowing i can destroy entire banks and not face penalty and then retire at 32. Lovely job.

I agree, they have nothing to whine about - but it's not an easy job.

If they do fewer hours: they'll be monitoring the market less and make less money for their company. Although this does effect bonus, their 'superiors' will be breathing down their neck.

I think you have an unrealistic idea of their salaries if you think they could retire at 32

If you are on the trading floor it takes a while to move up from being a 'junior' trader. Even if one comes straight out of a top 5 uni and straight into working for an investment bank it will take them at least 6-7 years to progress from being a 'junior trader' Most juniors get paid less than dentists/GP's.

Once you move on from being a junior - yes, salary will increase. You may start to see a 6 figure salary (with bonus included)

If they do fewer hours: they'll be monitoring the market less and make less money for their company.

Oh no, less trips to the golf club, less ventures to the south of France, less money to evade income tax on, how sad for them.

If you are on the trading floor it takes a while to move up from being a 'junior' trader. Even if one comes straight out of a top 5 uni and straight into working for an investment bank it will take them at least 6-7 years to progress from being a 'junior trader' Most juniors get paid less than dentists/GP's.

What's a top five Uni just out of interest? Anyway, its a better progression than most people have

Oxbride, LSE, Warwick and UCL - although it does tend to vary a tad

Who decided they were the 'top five' then?

Don't know. Employers? The times? lol

all - local diesel - 1litregolfeater

I can't really say that I can tell the future, but I see more of the same ahead.

It could be argued that since the war, the taxpayer has subsidised the total economic cost of road transport, as the government wanted to stimulate our manufacturing industry and road transport industry, to the benefit of the greater economy but possibly to the disbenefit of the common man.

And now those arguments don't work any more, the motorist should pay the full economic cost.

And now those arguments don't work any more, the motorist should pay the full economic cost.

We do pay for the full economic cost of road transport - about seven times over. These days its the public transport user who benefits from subsidies, if you think rail fares are bad now they've be far worse without input from the taxpayer, which is ironic as most adults and therefore taxpayers drive a car.

Edited by jamie745 on 17/03/2012 at 01:51

all - local diesel - 1litregolfeater

Other countries do stuff like infrastructure much better than UK, like Portugal.

When you look around at all those amazing Victorian buildings, it's hard to gulp and admit that we're stuffed.

all - local diesel - Bromptonaut

Other countries do stuff like infrastructure much better than UK, like Portugal.

And Portugal's in a mess similar to Greece. It's the local price variation thst gets my goat. How exactly can Sainsbury justify 4p a litre more in Northasmptonn than in Leicester.

all - local diesel - thunderbird

The bottom line is simple, NOTHING WILL EVER CHANGE. Fuel has been taxed in this way all the time I have been driving (38 years) regardless of the flavour of the Govenrment. I believe the actual tax percentage of the total is less than it was several years ago, don't ask me for the figures.

If they stopped taxing fuel thay would have to tax something else to fill the void, since I am a non-drinker I say put the extra tax on booze. I have never had a Big Mac either so put some extra tax on those.

If they tax 'unhealthy' living; then people will protest, calling it a 'nanny state'.

Personally I agree; but then i'm likely to show bias seeing as I dont drink or eat crap from such fast food joints

If they stopped taxing fuel thay would have to tax something else to fill the void, since I am a non-drinker I say put the extra tax on booze. I have never had a Big Mac either so put some extra tax on those.

I don't do tax nimbyism. I like the idea of contributing a fair amount. But more tax on booze?!

No sir! By rights alcohol and cigarettes should be excise duty and VAT free, and fruit and vegetables should have huge sin taxes imposd upon them and locked away behind closed doors.

Healthy living is ruinous. It's great when your granny lives to 95; when everyone else's granny does, it is a financial disaster.

all - local diesel - Bobbin Threadbare

It's a shame there isn't a tax on stupidity. Particularly since GB democracy is something of a kakistocracy.

all - local diesel - Collos25
If we rely

Edited by Collos25 on 17/03/2012 at 12:04

When you rely on a diminishing product that more people want then the price will esculate you will pay the taxes one way or another whether they lower the duty or not .

Its worth noting since the January duty rise was scrapped, the average petrol price has gone up about 7p so the Treasury has made up its shortfall through VAT (VAT which is higher than it used to be). They dont need the money from this tax rise, and if it puts more companies out of business they wont get the money either, they'll just pay the extra revenue out in unemployment benefits.

Some people will say 'oh for the average driver this rise only ads £2.50 a week' but thats not the point, the point is petrol is already 40-50p overpriced. The question isnt 'where do we make the revenue gap up from?!' but should be 'how do we adjust to only extracting reasonable amounts from the public?'

Some people will say 'oh for the average driver this rise only ads £2.50 a week'

I hate that argument. That implies that you could apply a massive number of tiny taxes and no one would notice! The problem is that most things have gone up by 'only about £2.50/week' and while no one notices the individual rises, the combined effect is considerable. If it wasn't, then inflation would be a non issue.

all - local diesel - pullgees

The term "the motorist" should be avoided because it give the subliminal impression that it is a seperate goup in society. When you talk about the motorist you are talking about the vast majority of the adult population of this country and it is the vast population in this country that is being hammered with punitive taxes. But something happens when you isolate the population by calling them motorists as if they were seperate; you stop thinking of them as almost every body but just as "the motorist" as if they were a minority (as they used to be), which makes it easier psychologically to stand aside and impose even more taxes.

In short whatever you do to the motorists (speed cameras, infuriating road works, taxes rules and regulations, fuel prices), you are doing to practically every adult.

We should talk in terms of motoring costs not costs to motorists

Edited by pullgees on 17/03/2012 at 17:56

When you talk about the motorist you are talking about the vast majority of the adult population of this country.

That's a very good point. Even if you don't run a car, you still buy goods that have to be transported. Motoring organisations do not do a good job of illustrating how overtaxed motoring is compared with say marine or aviation use.

all - local diesel - Avant

"Because Avant has butchered my post for no reason i should probably elaborate, as my post now reads very strangely indeed."

Jamie - I removed one single sentence where you called someone a 'moron'. I don't know how long we have to tell you before it sinks in that we do NOT allow personal insults on the forum - which in any case only weaken your argument.

If you insult anyone again I will be glad to avoid your post reading strangely, and will delete the whole post.

This of course is not picking on an individual: it applies to everyone in the interest of civilised discussion.

hate that argument. That implies that you could apply a massive number of tiny taxes and no one would notice! The problem is that most things have gone up by 'only about £2.50/week' and while no one notices the individual rises, the combined effect is considerable.

I hate it as well because for some haulage firms every 1p can be another £50,000 a week. I also hate it because its the excuse we get fed every time it goes up, eventually it stops being £2.50 and is actually now about another £30 a week. Just because its overpriced isnt the first place doesnt mean we should accept further increases as a non issue.

We should talk in terms of motoring costs not costs to motorists

Partly semantics but you do have a point, mainly because too many people are quite stupid. Its easy for those who dont have a car to go 'i dont have a car, so i dont care' but they should care. We know the Government raises around £50billion a year purely from motoring related taxation, but it goes further than that, thats just tax from the end user. What about the income tax i pay? Or the council tax, or the VAT on everything i buy which im only able to pay because i have employment which my vehicle takes me to? Think outside the £50billion box and instead consider the total taxation raised with some connection to motoring. What about the taxes paid by the garage who fix your car? And the taxes paid by any organisations they buy parts from? The Bus Driver is only in work and paying taxes because Tankers bring in the diesel for his bus to work.

The other problem is the Green lobby who say 'we support fuel duty rises because it will force people out of their cars' and the Green's still claim they're not a single issue party? We shouldnt give their pathetic arguments any airtime but even their lives are affected by this, if one of them gets the bus into town to buy some clothes, where did the clothes come from? How did they get to the shop? I'd go as far as saying that you cannot find a single person who's life doesnt relate in some way back to diesel/petrol within merely a few steps.

Go on, try it. Think of everything you've done today and search for the link back to diesel.

Motoring organisations do not do a good job of illustrating how overtaxed motoring is compared with say marine or aviation use.

This does annoy me. In some cases its cheaper to fly somewhere than drive there which should never be possible. Aviation fuel is tax free, not even any VAT so the rich jet setters can travel the globe mostly tax free while the minimum wage worker spends 30% of their income on fuelling a 15 year old car. And as for the 'save the planet' defence of the fuel duty increase, well i dont see why such arguments are worthy of sharing airtime with the RHA Chairman on news channels, frankly. It goes beyond 'the need for balance' into a simple case of qualified person on one side, unqualified nutcase on the other.

Hear, Hear.

If the present tax system stays in the UK then we will have prices at the pumps of over 2ukp per litre for diesel within 12 months no amount of complaining will change that ,oil futures trading already dictates that price.What is of much greater concern is that all companies from April in the UK will have to pay a levy of 12ukp per tonne of carbon emitted it does not sound a lot but in reality it comes to many millions of pounds that will trickle down into higher prices for every product you use from banking to a bar of soap.

If the present tax system stays in the UK then we will have prices at the pumps of over 2ukp per litre for diesel within 12 months no amount of complaining will change that

So lets change the tax. Take the tax off and its only 55p a litre.

What is of much greater concern is that all companies from April in the UK will have to pay a levy of 12ukp per tonne of carbon emitted

Pay it to who? What on earth is this nonsense you're talking about?

You obviously know nothing about the carbon levy I suggest you do some homework and they will not change the tax system to suit you.There is an old saying in the UK put brain into gear before you open your mouth.

I've never heard of anything called a carbon levy, i thought every tax we pay was dressed up as a green tax already?

they will not change the tax system to suit you

What about the other 33 million people who all universally agree it needs changing?

There is an old saying in the UK put brain into gear before you open your mouth.

I can think of a few other sayings which apply to you.

Edited by jamie745 on 18/03/2012 at 21:27

There is an old saying in the UK put brain into gear before you open your mouth.

One must ensure that one's brain is engaged before telling others to put their brains into gear.

Carbon levy=£12/tonne.

What would the equivalent fuel duty on 1 tonne of CO2 from burning petrol?

1 tonne of petrol produces ~3 tonnes of carbon dioxide.

therefore ~0.33 tonnes petrol produces 1 tonne CO2

0.33 tonnes petrol=750lb=100 gallons

~450 litres.

Duty on 450 litres@50p/litre ~£225.

+VAT@20% on the duty =£45

Total taxation=£270

So industry finds a £12/tonne levy intolerable, but motorists are expected to bear an equivalent levy of £270/tonne.

Jamie's point was that road petrol/diesel are grossly overtaxed compared to other forms of consumption.

Jamie's point stands unchallenged.

all - local diesel - Avant

Put 'carbon tax' into Google and you can find out about it.

Jamie, just because you haven't heard of something, that doesn't mean it's nonsense.