Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - Wokeye

My parents gave me a low mileage Focus 1.6 automatic to replace my 16 year old K11 Micra as a second car. The car is great it is lovely to drive but is too thirsty and costs £245 a year to tax. I have decided to sell it and add some towards it to buy a cheap to run small petrol car. I would get another newer K11 Micra as they are bullet proof but they are getting older and they rust. I do not think that my budget can stretch to a newer £20 tax year car like a 107 or C1. I really do not like french cars either except the 2 previously mentioned cars as I believe that they are Toyota running gear. I had thought about a Toyota Yaris, but then I got to thinking about a Hyundia Getz.. Sure they do not look great but I do not care. I just wondered are they reliable, economical and do they suffer badly with rust? Also do earlier Yaris' rust also? Or are there any other models to consider, I am really not sure about a Ford either, as my main car a Focus TDCI is starting to rust prematurely, and is also not as economical as some suggest. Is the later K12 Micra really a Renault? I would imagine that a Honda Jazz is out of my budget, again I know little about these but used to have an MB6 Civic and that was a brilliant car. Thanks for any advice.

Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - HandCart

To what use are you putting the second car?

I'm a bit confused: You have a Focus TDCi as your 'main' car - but a Focus isn't exactly massive: Is the second car for very local trips? Why does it even have to cost as much as £3k? Is a bit of rust a problem for the sort of use it will be put to?

Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - Bobbin Threadbare

OP, give us some more criteria - do you do a lot of mileage, do you need an auto, what's the budget exactly....?

Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - Auristocrat

The K12 Micra is based on the Nissan B platform - later used for the Clio III, the Modus and Note. Petrol engines are Nissan. Diesel engine is a Renault unit.

The Aygo/C1/107 are built in the Czech Republic as part of a joint ventre between Toyota and PSA (Peugeot/Citroen). The petrol engines are Toyota - the same 1.0 litre unit as used in the Yaris. Diesels are sold for a short time in the UK - these used a PSA diesel engine.

MY sister has owned a 2005 Hyundai Getz from new - covered 36,000 miles in it. Only issue has been a heated rear window switch that failed - replaced under warranty.

Edited by Auristocrat on 13/03/2012 at 19:30

Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - Auristocrat

The K12 Micra is based on the Nissan B platform - later used for the Clio III, the Modus and Note. Petrol engines are Nissan. Diesel engine is a Renault unit. The Aygo/C1/107 are built in the Czech Republic as part of a joint ventre between Toyota and PSA (Peugeot/Citroen). The petrol engines are Toyota - the same 1.0 litre unit as used in the Yaris. Diesels are sold for a short time in the UK - these used a PSA diesel engine. MY sister has owned a 2005 Hyundai Getz from new - covered 36,000 miles in it. Only issue has been a heated rear window switch that failed - replaced under warranty.

Sorry for the twin posts - IE issues.

Edited by Auristocrat on 13/03/2012 at 19:31

Sorry that I never added more information and thanks very much for all the useful information. I would guess that I do tops 5k a year in the second car. I do not need an automatic I was just given it, and I do like it but I do want a manual petrol small car. I do not have any problems with rust because of where I live or anything. My main car the Focus TDCI that is starting to rust a little maybe came from a seaside environment or something as the other one that I want to change is a year older and has next to no rust at all. It's just the expensive road tax that I do not like with the 1.6 auto and no matter how I drive it, it never gets over 28 mpg. I obviously cannot complain as it was free, but I am really just hoping to buy a small car that gives little grief like my old 1995 K11 Micra did until corrosion finally got the better of it. I am really just doing short journeys in the second car which is why I want a small engined petrol as I think they warm faster than a diesel and are cheaper to buy than a diesel and possibly less complex than a common rail diesel, although I am no expert.

3K budget is not a given, I know I could get a Micra much cheaper or a Fiesta. I would just prefer a newer car with a low"ish" mileage, although I understand 3k is not really a massive budget. And rust is not a problem if it is cosmetic, I just do not want something that is going to cost me money getting welded for MOT's like my K11 did for the last few years of ownership.

Edited by Wokeye on 13/03/2012 at 20:51

Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - primeradriver

The Getz has been around since 2002, and I've yet to see a rusty one. Your car would be quite a it newer than 10 years old at £3000, so I really can't see rust being an issue.

The old Accent was supposedly a rustheap, but there still seems to be a fair few old M/N/P/R/S reg ones, that are pretty old now, still knocking about (when you consider how few were sold in the first place against, eg the Fiesta).

A 2007 Getz, easily available in budget, has at least another five years until rust even becomes a superficial problem.

Hyundai Getz - Cheap To Run Small Car Up To 3K? - Glaikit Wee Scunner {P}

Apart from routine servicing and a dicky fan switch, SWMBO 5 yo 1.4l Getz has been utterly reliable.Check carefully if you can sit comfortably- I'm over 6' and get right leg pains after an hour or so. MPG on long runs (rare) are in the mid 40's and it normally gets through the small petrol tank pretty fast around town.

Thanks for the replies guys this helps a lot. I think I will definitely check a Getz out, just seems a bit cheaper than others and appears to have a decent reputation. I do not think that I will have any trouble getting in one as I am 6' tall not that big. Thanks agin.