Peugeot 306 diesel - Cambelt Failure Catastrophe - Douglas Denny

Horror story. Any ideas / explanation welcome.

I don't want to sound arrogant but have reasonable engineering skills (have a lathe, milling and grinding machines, welding equipment etc) and have done automotive work on own cars and family since at father's knee when he was repairing his Morris 10 scraping-in the big-end bearings using engineer's blue.

In spite of all this, I have had catastrophic failure leaving my ego severely bruised and camshaft broken in four places with cyl head totally wrecked.

Pug 306 1.9 Diesel needed cyl head gasket replacing as coolant loss occuring. Spent couple of months on job, no hurry, slowly doing everything by the book, grinding in the valves; checking / adjusting the valve clearences (which is a pain as the small round shims under the cam followers have to be replaced or ground to exact thickness - which I did as I have milling machine and grinder). Cambelt tension adjusted as Haynes book to 41 +or- 2 Hz frequency (they call them Seems units which is an odd name!) which did seem slightly slack to my normal check of 1/4 twist at middle point or + or - 5mm movement. ( I have an electronics unit I produced myself which coupled to a laptop is accurate to 0.1 of a Hz: I might publish it sometime- and yes it is accurate as stated). All done - fired up, waited until hot, checked coolant levels etc; sounded reasonable, and went down road four miles only then catastrophic failure. Not much of a bang for all the damage done.

Found: cambelt intact; pulleys intact; no bearings siezed or rough; just camshft pulley broken near bearing (broken housing of course) and fallen sideways breaking the top plastic cover. Cylinder head wrecked completely. All pistons show valves touching but no obvious damage to pistons / crank (amazing there is no damage to the pistons with such enormous damage to the camshaft - smashing it literally into four pieces and smashing the three camshaft nearings completely too).

Pistons had 0.6mm proud from top of cyl block, and made allowance for the 0.1mm very slight skim (grinding) made to ensure flat cyl head, when gasket selected.

So, all should have been correct by book - but failed nevertheless. Any ideas please?

Incidentally the Pug 307 diesel has a cambelt tension of 55 to 58 Hz according to Haynes (I did exactly the same cyl head top-end overhaul job on my son's 307 quite successfully) ; and the replacement engine I am now putting into the Pug 306 (it is a DW8 1.9 diesel) has a cambelt tension which I measured at 68Hz - and has the standard 1/4 to half twist as normally expected.

I think the 41Hz cambelt tension quoted by Haynes is wrong and too low, which caused the catastrophic failure. I think the valves / pistons just touched and the cambelt jumped a tooth or more - and that was that ! BANG! Engine wrecked.

Douglas Denny.

Peugeot 306 diesel - Cambelt Failure Catastrophe - Railroad.

Well as you'd know the tensioner is always on the return run, and I could only assume that the belt was not tensioned correctly, and not evenly. Did you lock the shafts when you fitted the belt? And it's always good practice to turn the engine over by hand at least a couple of turns and re-check the belt tension and timing.....

Yes, all by book.

Camshaft locked, crank locked; disel pump locked; camshaft and diesel pulley bolts slackened as per book to make sure not at end of slots; adjusted tension; locked bolts; turned only clockwise. Started at 100 Hz tension; unlocked all turned crank sixteen times (book says miniumum eight) to even tension; locked-up all again; re-checked. Then re-do tension to stated book value 41Hz. Unlocked; turned clockwise sixteen turns, re-checked .. etc. Camshaft and diesel pulley bolts definitely tightened.

I agree cambelt must somehow have been too slack despite it all, and jumped at least a tooth or more. How? - Don't know. Baffled and bruised. I think 41Hz too low. Can't be anything else logically as far as I can see.

Moral of tale: I would say make sure the cambelt is slightly too tight if anything, rather than slightly too slack.

Too slack: wrecked engine. Too tight: risk of belt breaking eventually, but not highly likely, and catastrophy much less likely than with a belt too slack.

I am of the opinon I read somewhere here: Give me chain drive anyday. I have never liked rubber bands in engines. (Yes I know they are a highly engineered item, but even so...they _do_ fail). Camshafts driven by duplex or triplex chain are infinitely more reliable IMHO and last the life of the engine if due care of chain lubrication is carried out.

Douglas Denny.

Peugeot 306 diesel - Cambelt Failure Catastrophe - FP

The belt was definitely too loose.

I am looking at the Revue Technique for the Peugeot 306 HDi, published in French. It says the tension should be 98 ± 2 SEEM units.

Elsewhere I have seen a "90° twist" method recommended, or in some cases a "not-quite- 90° twist", meaning a normal 90° twist is a bit too loose.

Edited by FP on 11/03/2012 at 22:24

Most interesting.

You say it should be 98 +-2 "Seem" units ( i.e. Hz) Well that sounds more like it should be intuitively. 100Hz would have a definite "twang" when plucked like a violin string representing a definite tension present. 41Hz is 'flabby'.

The Haynes Manual for Peugeot 306 1993 to 2002 says the tension should be between 38 and 42 Seem units for the 1.9 Litre engine, and 51 to 57 Seem units for the 2.0 litre engine.

What source is it you are quoting please? I assume you are quoting original data from Peugeot. So why are Haynes so wrong? I wonder if I can sue them?

Douglas Denny.

Peugeot 306 diesel - Cambelt Failure Catastrophe - 659FBE

Douglas, I feel for your difficulties which are caused by a confusion of units.

SEEM units of tension are not the same as resonant frequency (pitch of "twang" in Hz) because the latter depends on other factors than tension. SEEM tension units are the brainchild of the organisation which makes the tester and are based on deflection wiith a given loading.

Without wishing to rub salt into your misfortune via a physics lesson, pitch will depend on the obvious factors such as tension and the distance between the fixed points of the belt but also upon the air density and - vitally - the linear density of the belt. This is why the bass strings in your piano are wound with copper wire.

Belts from different suppliers will have differing linear densities, consequently pitch can only be used as a measure of tension for a defined belt. I would suggest you look at the Contitech website for further information on this point. They advocate the use of resonant pitch for tension setting - but only for their belts.

In confusing the SEEM units with pitch, you will have ended up with a very slack belt with inevitable consequences. The belt resonant frequency for this engine between the camshaft and injection pump wheels would be of the order of 250Hz but this cannot be used as a measure - only a guide.

I spent some time in the early days of developing diesel fuel pumps suitable for toothed belt drive applications and genuine belt failures are extremely rare. Most problems are caused by poor idler/tensioner bearings (often exacerbated by a loss or degradation of lubricant) or by incorrect tensioning.

I wish you sucess in repairing this excellent engine.

Thank you for your suggestion that SEEMs units are not Hz. That is a possibility I agree, but are you completely sure of this? And in which case, can you please give a definition of a SEEM unit? That would be very helpful indeed and will clear up the mystery satisfactorily.

I did some research initially to find the definition of SEEM unit when I designed the electronics (two microphones and op amps for measuring resonance with frequency spectrum analyser on the laptop ) and came to the conclusion SEEM units were indeed simply Hz i.e. were the resonant frquency of the belt. You suggest not so, and I might have been in error. The company themselves selling the SEEMS measuring units said the unit was resonant frequency being measured. They have a promotional video which suggested this too. They did not give any indication there was a different meaning to SEEM unit though I asked.

I appreciate there are many parameters which will give a different resonsonant frequency with different belt dynamics and physical configurations, but at the end of the day all one can actually measure is the resonant frequency at some point on the belt. Usually the longest section of belt between two accessible pulleys is chosen.

If you are suggesting there is some function built into the gizmo (sold at extortionate cost incidentally) which converts resonant frequency into the rather oddly named SEEM unit I would be interested to know exactly what that function is, and why it should be made a different unit to resonant frequency in Hz which is what is actually being measured - by their own SEEM measuring units. Unless of course it is to deliberately obscure the method thereby making it exclusive, when it is just a simple and effective method of measuring the resonant 'twang' of the belt.

The car manufacturers and presumably Gates the cambelt manufacturers will design the belt for consistent parameters, and a particular belt will have its particular resonant frequency on a given engine; and further, presumably will be a consistent resonant frequency for any belt / engine configuration. The ultimate question is then: is that frequency in Hz equivalent to a SEEM unit? or as you say, some different, invented value unit?

You say there is a difference, and it could well be therefore I am in error, but until the relationship between SEEM unit and resonant frequency in Hz is defined it is still a mystery to me.

You say resonant frequency should be about 250Hz. This is not consistent with what the people who make the SEEMs units said where belt tensions giving resonant frequencies were normally between 50 and 100 Hz apparently, with their measuring unit not going much above this.

I obviously need further information about what exactly a SEEM unit is, and exactly what resonant frequncy in Hz is for automotive cambelts before I attempt to measure one again using resonant frequency.

I shall stick to the quarter to half a twist method and no more than +- 5mm movement I have used in the past I think to save any further horrifying engine explosions.

Thank you again, and if you can shed more light onto the exact definition of a SEEM unit I would be grateful.

Douglas Denny.

" I wish you sucess in repairing this excellent engine."

I was lucky to some small extent. No point in repairing it. The local scrap yard had a DW8 engine available for £200 with £20 refund when 'old' engine returned, so I am presently in the process of 'oiking-out' the blown-up one, and replacing it with another. I shall run this one into the ground and to Hell with cambelts, I am totally disillusioned with them presently.

Douglas Denny.

"...to Hell with cambelts, I am totally disillusioned with them presently."

That's a little harsh.

Cambelts vary hugely according to their design and the design of the particular engine which they are part of. The 1.9 HDi cambelt is good for 90,000 miles according to the manuals. I had mine changed at 75,000 as a precaution and, visually at least, the old one was in pristine condition; it certainly didn't seem to have stretched at all.

I don't want to add to your misery, but the failure of your repair was the result of an incorrect procedure. Blame Haynes if you wish, but clearly you also did not understand the difference between Hertz and SEEM as tension measurement units.

The latter are units as measured on a SEEM gauge, e.g. the SEEM C.Tronic 105.5M.

"but clearly you also did not understand the difference between Hertz and SEEM as tension measurement units."

---------

You might well be right, and you seem to be quite sure and therefore know, but you have not explained what the difference is.

Would you care to enlighten me please exactly what a SEEM unit is?

Two people have now suggested there is a difference beteeen SEEM units and resonant frequency in Hz, but have not given a definition of exactly what a SEEM unit is. I am looking forward to someone telling me.

Note: The electronic measuring unit itself reads in Hz not 'SEEM' units

The advert for the Sealey VS099 - Electronic Cam Belt Tension Tool says: -

• The most accurate method of determining timing belt tension is by measuring the frequency with which the belt vibrates - the tighter the belt the higher the frequency reading (Hz).
  • Most vehicle makers are now either using this method or are switching to it.
  • This unit utilises the latest in sensor technology to measure the vibration frequency of the belt.
  • Simply place the sensor near the belt, then 'pluck' the belt between your finger and thumb and read off the tension on the LCD display.
  • ------------------

I have decided the thing to do is compare a so-called "SEEM unit" measuring device used in a garage against resonant frequency of a reed vibrometer which I have. That will clear it up. I shall report here in due course - unless of course someone can enlighten me as to the difference and make it all clear. At the moment all is darkness.

It is beginning to look to me that the use of the term "SEEM" units is an unecessary (possibly deliberate) confusion. Either one measures resonant frequency of the belt or one does not. Resonant frequency is measured in Hz which is what is measured with these electronic units. If a "SEEM" unit is something different one has to ask the question why? and exactly what is it then? .. otherwise others will, like me, blow-up their engines because of someone's obfuscation of what is a simple phenomenon - plucking the belt like a violin string.

The question remains then:-

what exactly IS a "SEEM" unit if it is not resonant frequency in Hz?

Douglas Denny.

"What source is it you are quoting please? I assume you are quoting original data from Peugeot."

Probably not original data from Peugeot, well, not officially anyway. Revue Technique Automobile (RTA) is a French series of books published by Etai (Editions Techniques pour l'Automobile et l'Industrie, vaguely similar to Haynes. I can find no mention of the authenticity of the data presented. ISBN of the 306 HDi book is 2-7268-6391-4.

Edited by FP on 11/03/2012 at 23:20

Peugeot 306 diesel - Cambelt Failure Catastrophe - injection doc

".to Hell with cambelts, I am totally disillusioned with them presently."

I'm afraid a bad workman always blames his tools ! clearly there was an error on fitting , most likley due to the lack of experince.

I spent 25 + years fitting cam belts, sometimes 3-4 in a day and only ever had one failure and that was down to me as I didnt check the teeth pattern of the belt ! the original had square teeth and the replcement had rounded teeth which was actually wrong and it jumped ! cause by me not checking thourghly enough.

I have used measuring gauges and audio sound detectors measuing the twang in the tension and always found resorting back to experince best, normally 1/4 to half a twist on the longest stretch.

Diesels always need extreme care as the running tolerences are so close. It always important when the cam, crank and pump are locked to ensure the pulleys are loosened off to ensure the belt has pulled the correct tension all the way round, then tighten the sprockets the release the tools then rotate and re-check 2-3 times.

Cant imagine a surgeon carrying out an operation using a haynes manual ! now that would be interesting

Thank you for your comments.

Nothing wrong with the tools in this case. The operator is blaming himself - but trying to find the definitive cause. The cause is, in my opinon, and of others, (it can't be anything else really) a slack belt.

Now when it was fitted at 41Hz it seemed slightly slacker than it should be with the twist test - but not so bad it could be twisted as much as 90 degrees which some say is Ok (I don't - I say 45 degrees) so it is still a mute point.

I am 'old' school and admit I am prejudiced against rubber bands in engines. Duplex or triplex chain is still the best engineered solution to driving camshafts IMHO - they don't break (unless catastrophic failure elsewhere), and give plenty of warning if worn as they become noisy. I know modern toothed belts are an highly engineered item; simple, very good with better timing control, but suspect they are used because they are much cheaper to the manufacturer - no sprockets, no chain -all costly.

-------------------

The standard belt tensioner instrument is produced by Clavis. Which reads in Hz. There is an interesting article by them all about the principles: here:

www.clavis.co.uk/Handheld%20meter%20catalogue.pdf

QUOTE: Theory of operation:
    The Clavis belt tension meter measures the natural frequency of vibration of a belt
    span. This frequency is directly related to the tension in the belt. As the tension in
    the belt is increased the frequency of vibration also increases.
    The relationship between the measured frequency and the tension of the belt should
    be determined from a calibration test on the belt span. A Clavis calibration rig is
    available for those users of this instrument who wish to perform their own
    calibrations, or we can undertake your calibration in our laboratory. Alternatively the
    relationship between belt tension (T) and frequency of vibration (f) may be
    calculated from knowing the mass per unit length of the belt (m), and the belt span
    (l), using the expression;

T=4m l^2 f^2

Where T is in Newtons, F in Hertz, I in metres, and m in Kg/metre. However as the
    belt does have some flexural stiffness the predicted tension for a given frequency
    will be slightly greater than the actual tension. This is most noticeable on short belt
    spans where the belt bending stiffness is the greatest. For belt spans greater than
    250mm a calculation based on the above expression will provide results within 10%
    of the actual values. END OF QUOTE.

In this pdf file belt parameters are given for mass per unit length etc but nowhere is there mention of "SEEM" units.

So who has invented these wonderful units? and what exactly are they?

No one here SEEMs to know ! :-)

Douglas Denny

"So who has invented these wonderful units? and what exactly are they?"

Exhaustive trawling of Google produces the following to answer your question, on a French message board (translation is mine):

Question:

"Quelqu'un peut il m'expliquer ce que sont les unités SEEM (utilisé pour le controle de la tension de courroies).."

Can someone explain to me what are SEEM units (used in checking belt tension)...

Reply:

"Ce sont des unités inventées par le fabricant d'un appareil de controle de tension de courroie, la SEEM, Sud Est Electro Mécanique, devenue Onetoo..."

They are units invented by the manufacturer of a device for checking the tension of a belt, SEEM - South-East Electro-Mechanical, now called One Too..."

If you Google the organisation you will find it described as "Spécialisée dans la conception et la fabrication d'outils de contrôle et de mesure pour l'industrie automobile", meaning specialising in the development and manufacture of tools for checking and measurement for the automobile industry.

I think, Douglas, that that's the best answer you'll get.

On the other hand, in the real world, by far the most common advice is the twist test applied to the longest straight part of the belt, with the usual specification being that it should be possible to twist it between 45° and 90°, perhaps erring on the tight side within that range.

Thank you FP for your continued help with this trying and highly irritating event.

I do not speak French but your finding that reference is helpful and makes sense. Typical of the French to invent their own obscure unit: probably to keep it exclusive to their engineers. Cynical moi? - never.

All I need now is to find the relationship between SEEM unit and resonant frequency in Hz - if there _is_ a relationship that is. Or, find the Peugeot official value of tension in Hz. Can anyone tell me that?

I agree with you the twist test between camshaft pulley and Diesel pump pulley is simple and more or less foolpoof. This fool relied on technology however, but to be fair to myself I thought it passed muster with a twist test that seemed slightly slacker than I would normally allow, but not too bad so as to be worrisome. The twist was between 45 degrees and 90 and the up/down movement slightly flabbier than I would normally allow, so tension definitely on the lower side but not silly.

Another factor might be: The engine did have a harsh knock on one cylinder until warmed up before the top-end overhaul was done; and after, on first starting up was knocking on all four more than I would have liked, but I put that down to a close tolerance fit of cylinder head with the new gasket and higher compression ratio than before on all cylinders. I am beginning to think now that it was too close a tolerance and the next thickness higher head gasket might have been wise rather than the minimum allowance as per the book.

Possibly the gasket tolerance was so tight, with the pistons almost touching the cylinder head, (it turned over no problem of course after fitting the cam belt), and the very slight slackness of cambelt allowed just a miniscule touch of a valve - which slackened the belt more, which then touched more with the valve, making the belt jump a tooth - then that was that - rippling down the valves as the crank turned. Probably all in a single revolution. That's my theory anyway. Ho Hum! - life's like that sometimes.

Douglas Denny.

"Typical of the French to invent their own obscure unit: probably to keep it exclusive to their engineers. Cynical moi? - never.

All I need now is to find the relationship between SEEM unit and resonant frequency in Hz - if there _is_ a relationship that is. Or, find the Peugeot official value of tension in Hz."

The French do have a reputation for going their own way and sod everyone else!

I have tried to find a way of converting SEEM units, but have failed completely, apart from some vague suggestions on message boards that such-and-such a SEEM number corresponds with so many newtons or whatever. For the reason above, I would bet any money that Peugeot do not have an official version of the tension in any units other than SEEMs.

Best to accept it and move on - and, if you ever do the job again, use the twist test like everyone else seems to! (No pun intended.) The fact is, French or not, the HDi is a damn good engine, capable of starship mileages, excellent reliability and excellent economy.

Hello FP.

I have _had_ to move on - no choice - found another engine and am fitting it. Mistake has cost me about £300 in parts and another second hand engine. As you say learn and at least check with the 'normal' twist method next time as a safety check and do not allow myself to go slacker than the 45 degree twist criterion.

However good news: I have I think found final definitive answers now with some research on the internet.

Here is the Rosetta Stone of different units and data on cambelt tension measurement:-

www.autodata-online.com/uk/tbinfo.pdf

This has on page 9 of 11 a table of eight tension measurement devices and their units used. It therefore gives comparison of the units including SEEM units. It does not give a comparison of resonant frequency however. That has to be calculated; as follows:

Looking at the table: Lo and behold we have two SEEMS devices mentioned; a SEEM C.Tronic G2 105.5 and a SEEM C.Tronic 87 (curiously, and oddly, measuring slightly differently for a given tension value of force in Newtons for the first instrument which is a Burroughs BT33-73F / BT33-86J).

Here is the table comparison for the Burroughs (as above) and the SEEM C.Tronic G2 105.5:-

150 Newtons = 33 SEEM units

200 N = 40 SEEM

250 N = 47 SEEM

300 N = 53 SEEM

350 N = 61 SEEM

400 N = 67 SEEM

450 N = 72 SEEM

500 N = 78 SEEM

You will note the difference between SEEM units for each 50 Newtons increase is non-linear. These SEEM units are very strange indeed. Clearly they are completely arbitrary to the device.

So the next problem was to establish what the 41 SEEMs recommended in Haynes for the DW8 engine is in Hz. We proceed as follows:

Measuring the belt total length it was 1338mm = 1,338Metres. (It is marked at 1.4Metres, but we really need the mid-point of the belt section so I used the measured value as above). Measuring the span across the two pulleys (camshaft and diesel pump) which is what vibrates, was 240mm = 0.24Metres. Measuring the total mass of the belt was found to be 169 Grams for the new belt; and 166 Grams for the old belt. 169 Grams was used which = 0.169Kg. Hence the mass per unit length = m = 0.168 / 1.4 which = 0.12 Kg per Metre. We now have all the data for using the Clavis formula for frequency of a span of belt which is:-

Tension in Newtons = T = 4 m L^2 F^2

or, F = square root of { T / ( 4 m L^2 ) }

where F= frequency in Hz and L = span length in Metres. m = mass per unit length

As 40 SEEM units = 200 Newtons,

putting 200 for T (Tension) and finding F in the formula, Frequency = 85.1Hz

putting 250 Newtons for T, Frequency = 95Hz

-------------------

Conversely; as I set the belt at 41 Hz I can now find the tension in the belt which I set it to. Solving for 41 Hz gives a belt tension of 46.5 Newtons. So there was tension in the belt but it was only a quarter of what it should have been.

I measured the cambelt Hz for the replacement DW8 engine and it was found to be 68 Hz, that solves for a belt Tension of 128 Newtons; which is 0.68 (nearly three quarters) of the 200 Newtons it should be. I shall tighten it to 85Hz = 200 Newtons.

I think I am now satisfied I have explored this subject to its conclusion. Which is: yes I was in error. I paid the penalty. No the belt was not totally slack it was a quarter slack.

I also think the piston to cyl head gap distance was probably marginal and contributed to the problem however, with the absolute minimum head gasket thickness which I allowed for, and should have chosen one value thickness more.

One lives and learns.

Thank you all who have helped me towards a better understanding of what it is all about.

Douglas Denny.