Nissan Almera - Almera MOT Brake trouble!! - turbamachine

Hi there,

I took my 1998 S reg 1.4 almera to get its MOT done today. I was reccomended the MOT centre by a colleague from work - as I am working away from home and was not sure of any decent local garages. I was very happy when it passed with no advisories :) It has a great service history, so I was expecting it to pass.

I drove it one mile back to the flat I am staying at, then earlier this evening I thought I would go out for a drive, just to get out the flat and explore the local area I am working in. I had planned a 50 mile round trip.

After driving for about 13 miles or so, I noticed the brake warning lamp had illuminated. I was unaware at the time that it was for the main brakes, and I had always assumed it was a handbrake light for the handbrake system only. (Silly I know-never assume check!!!!!) So I slowed right down and gently applied the handbrake and it was working (not best practice i know). I then assumed that it was merely a faulty microswitch for the handbrake lever (Again assuming here-not good)

I proceeded, until I decided to stop after about 25 miles and checked the owners book and read that the light could come on if the brake fluid level was low. Which I thought was very strange, I have had the car over 18 months and check the fluids every couple of weeks or so, and have never had to top up any fluids, it doesn't even burn any engine oil.

The brake fluid level was on the min level. So I put into the sat nav the nearest petrol station, which was 1.5 miles away. I drove very carefully to the petrol station and bought 1l of brake fluid at £7!! I toppped it up and the light remained on, it eventually went off. I was quite happy.

I decided to drive back, after 1 mile or so, i stopped and pumped the brake pedal, it offered resistance and the pressure built up-with ignition off- however the pedal with sustained pressure went down, very slowly. After doing this several times,

I then checked the brake fluid level and it was 1/2 way between the max and min mark.

I topped it up again and drove very carefully back, the light didn't come on again until about 2 miles from the flat.

I managed to get back to the flat and I noticed a marked difference in braking ability. Not good at all. When I got back, the reservior was showing the fluid to be below the min mark.

I then got the torch out and proceeded to check all the brake line from the master cylinder back, and I found a bad leak at one of the rear brake pipes, it was evident it had been leaking fluid badly.

My question is, I have a bad leak from one of the rear brake pipes. Should I take it back to the MOT station and ask them to have a look at it- or should avoid them like the plague and go to another garage?

Also is this a coincidence? Could it be that brake performance test that is carried out at the MOT is likley to have caused - what maybe was an already poor pipe to fail?

I do like to think the best in people. But should this have not been spotted on the MOT?? If so is this negligence?

Any thoughts would be appreciated,

Also should i drive the vehicle at all, or should i get the RAC to take me to the garage?The only think is I work shifts until fri afternoon, which is the earliest i could get the car seen to.

I can walk to work-only 15 min and can live without the car for a few days.

Thanks!!

Nissan Almera - Almera MOT Brake trouble!! - bathtub tom

Where's the leak, on a metal pipe or a flexible?

I suspect the MOT station scraped some rust off a metal pipe, or flexed a rubber pipe and although it didn't leak immediately, it is now.

It's an old car (14 years?). Either problem shouldn't be too expensive to fix.

It will have a dual circuit braking system, so you should have some brakes regardless of the leak, although I'd advise you get it sorted immediately. You should be alright to drive it to a local garage for them to fix.

Edited by bathtub tom on 07/03/2012 at 23:00

Nissan Almera - Almera MOT Brake trouble!! - turbamachine

The leak is on a metal pipe.

Thanks alot for your advice.