mazda 3 - loud tick over - inlet manifold? - balleballe

I drove back from a 100 mile journey and just as I had parked up I had noticed that the tickover noise was very loud. It makes no difference as to whether the car is cold or warm. I've only had the car for 2 weeks now (and 700 miles)

Googling reveals that my intake manifold could be knackered (something to do with butterfly valves). it's an 04 plate with 63k (FSH).

This youtube video is exactly what my engine sounds like; www.youtube.com/watch?v=_O8qSw4dxII

TSB from mazda: www.mazda3club.com/showpost.php?p=363453&postc...6

The one thing I cant figure out is; is this causing any harm in any way, shape or form? I can learn to live with the sound - as I dont fancy replacing my manifold just to 'get rid of the noise'

sorry - intake manifold

mazda 3 - loud tick over - inlet manifold? - dieselnut

I would imagine that wear has occured in the intake shutter assembly allowing the mechanism to vibrate around in the airflow.

This will only accentuate the wear & may cause a part to break off & get sucked into the engine causing major damage.

I would get it sorted ASAP. As it's a known design fault, maybe Mazda wil offer some goodwill.

Edited by dieselnut on 04/03/2012 at 12:32

I would imagine that wear has occured in the intake shutter assembly allowing the mechanism to vibrate around in the airflow.

This will only accentuate the wear & may cause a part to break off & get sucked into the engine causing major damage.

I would get it sorted ASAP. As it's a known design fault, maybe Mazda wil offer some goodwill.

Speaking to my brother-in-law (mechanic) he says that it's a common problem with mazda's and that it should do no harm! If it may cause a part to be injested by the engine then this is serious stuff.

I'm thinking I should just take the car back to the dealer? I think i'll take it to my local mechanic on tuesday first, and if he can't diagnose it; then in to mazda

My local mechanic didnt have a clue - he said that it's definately from the top end of the engine but would need to 'strip it down' before he could say what it was

Mazda have diagnosed piston slap on cylinder 3, and perhaps 4 as well but said they'll need to strip if for a complete diagnosis

The dealer recommended I should get a second opinion before I come and see him (of course he would say that), and told me to visit the garage where it had it's MOT (the dealer has been using him for over 20 years)

He threw out the notion of piston slap and said it was tappets - I told him they were shimmed hydraulic tappets and that the mazda tech who inspected my car said that he's never 'adjusted them' in the 8 years he's been at mazda.

The dealer is now suggesting that I have the oil filter/oil changed including a 'special engine flush' for hydraulic tappets. He is happy to pay for it hoping it will save the refund; but I told him that i'd meet him half way. The last service was in June and the car has covered only 7k since - so I doubt that will solve the issue.

If it doesnt - I am going to demand my money back - am I being unreasonable?

So the manifold was replaced on tuesday (2 days ago); found one from a breakers. The sound has gone

Initially it made the engine management light come on after driving it for a mile - took it back to the garage and they said the fault code was "lean burn on idle" ; ther double checked the vacuum connections and concluded it was a faulty manifold but it would do no harm driving it whilst another was sourced.

Driving back from the gym just now and noticed the engine management light has gone from my dash.

The bulb still works (lights up on ignition before starting the engine)

Do I assume the problem has somehow magically rectified itself?