Volvo 850SE Petrol 1994 - Leaking heating radiator - Penny Scott

Hi there....I don't know anything much about cars first of all!! This particular problem started when I started getting smoke coming into the car through the interior heating ducts (and steaming up my windows). It smells slightly sweet. I have been told that this is my heating radiator that is leaking. today I see that the passenger footwell is wet under the mat.and I am now having to top up the water quite a bit. My question is this....will Radweld do anything for this problem. And is replacing the radiator is a big job?? thank you very much!

Volvo 850SE Petrol 1994 - Leaking heating radiator - Peter.N.

It certainly sounds like a leaking heater matrix, its unlikely radweld will cure it without causing a blockage or restriction. If you get a Haynes manual it will tell you how to replace it. The job varies from car to car, on the Citroen Xantia the whole dashboard has to be removed but on the XM you can access it quite easily. You can as a temporory measure bypass it by joining the two hoses together - if you don't feel the cold that is.

Volvo 850SE Petrol 1994 - Leaking heating radiator - Peter D

K Seal will fix it in the shorter term. They claim the repair is permanent but I'm not sure about that. Regards Peter

Volvo 850SE Petrol 1994 - Leaking heating radiator - gordonbennet

It needs diagnosing properly, don't assume it is the heater radiator, it could just as easily be a perished or chafed pipe, loose pipe connection or indeed the heater control valve leaking.

If the car was a VW group effort then heater rad is a nightmare of the first order like other jobs that should be straightforward are, but some cars are not too bad.

I wouldn't be stuffing sealeant by Bodgit and Scarper in my coolant if i was intending to keep a car.

Volvo 850SE Petrol 1994 - Leaking heating radiator - Chris M

If it's a simple hour or two job to replace the heater matrix, you won't be looking at a big labour bill (the matrix itself will only be c £40). But if it's a long job I'd stick some Radweld or Barsleak in (both products have been around for years). Unless yours is a cherished Volvo, then you are into bangernomics motoring.

Would any of the Radweld haters really spend £500 plus on stripping out the dash on an 18 year old car?