Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - Kodama

Dear All

I've sadly fallen victim to dual mass flywheel issues on my 9 month old Audi A1. I've lookeda round the internet and have discovered that DMF have been troublesome for all amnner of cars and warranties are not lived up to as the retailers blame it on driving style. I read on this website that the difference in wear can be visible on a damaged clutch and flywheel between DMF being faulty and riding the clutch. Can anyone perhaps describe what this would look like or point me in the dirrection of where to find this information.

Kind regards

Will Dracott

Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - Peter.N.

Hi Will

DMFs seem to me a dreadful invention with numerous people suffering early failure, I'm sure driving tecnique has something to do with it but the failure rate to my mind is unacceptable. I have steered clear of cars fitted with DMFs until recently when I bought a Peugeot 406 Hdi fitted with one, when I bought it the clutch pedal biting point was high combined with a squeal sometimes when you let the clutch in. As I bought the car cheap I half expected a failure but so far have covered 12,000 miles with no apparant deterioration and the car has covered over 200,000 miles - but I do drive very gently. I sold a CitroenXM diesel at 292k whith the original clutch although it had started slipping it was still quite driveable.

The difference between clutch and flywheel failure are again dependent on driving style, as you mention 'riding' the clutch with cause clutch wear but shold not cause DMF failure, that is caused by the load put on it, towing can increase wear on both clutch and DMF but not necessaraly, it depends on how gently or fiercely you pull away.

There is not really any neccesity to slip the clutch on most diesels when pulling away as the torque available will move you off at tickover on the flat at least, but there is no doubt that rapid take off's at high revs will considerably shorten the life of both components.

Peter

Edited by Peter.N. on 28/02/2012 at 10:17

Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - Roly93

when I bought it the clutch pedal biting point was high combined with a squeal sometimes when you let the clutch in. As I bought the car cheap I half expected a failure but so far have covered 12,000 miles with no apparant deterioration and the car has covered over 200,000 miles - but I do drive very gently. I sold a CitroenXM diesel at 292k whith the original clutch although it had started slipping it was still quite driveable.

These are not really symptoms of DMF problems they are more symptoms of clutch friction material problems. I agree that DMF do have a habit of failing though which tells me they are not made properly or made with poor quality materials.

There are a couple of videos on youtube which demo the failed DMF action http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kO07u4_sU6M&feature=related

Here is a video of an overheated clutch :-

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PoxK1bgJI0Y&feature=related

As DMFs soak up vibration by the use of springs I would say several things could destroy them. Riding the clutch isn't good but the clutch would have to hget very hot indeed to damabe the springs in the DMF but it is possible. Pulling away in a hi-torque diesel engined car violently may eventually weaken the springs, or indeed putting any shock load on the clutch. The bottom line is that if the clutch pressure plate looks blued it may be what they are blaming the damage on.

I have had 3 DMF fitted VaG diesels and having done about 200K across these have never had any problems other than clutch judder on cold damp mornings which goes away after a mile or so.

Edited by Roly93 on 28/02/2012 at 11:45

Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - Peter D

I came across a year old Golf Mk4 Dti that had the DMF and clutch changed. The cause was a steep drive which the lady owner reversed up each morning. Clearly she had been slipping the clutch up this steep driveway, the clutch was severely discoloured and the springs in the DMF were broken. Rapid gear changes can also cause damage as the the thotlle is often appied before the clutch is re-engaged and the clutch slipsuntil the two surfaces catch up with each other. Regards Peter

Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - Al3

Dear All

I've sadly fallen victim to dual mass flywheel issues on my 9 month old Audi A1. I've lookeda round the internet and have discovered that DMF have been troublesome for all amnner of cars and warranties are not lived up to as the retailers blame it on driving style. I read on this website that the difference in wear can be visible on a damaged clutch and flywheel between DMF being faulty and riding the clutch. Can anyone perhaps describe what this would look like or point me in the dirrection of where to find this information.

Kind regards

Will Dracott

Hi Will, Oh how I wish I had looked on the Forum before buying A1 1.6TDI new in April 2012. My husband and I were on the motorway over taking a lorry when there was a bang and car stopped. My husband immediately recognised that is was the clutch and we had to be towed off the motorway. On contacting Audi warranty were told that it was wear and tear and driver style, basically riding the clutch! But that it not so. Thirty One years of driving and never burning out a clutch, not going to start now. They then tried to tell us that we had voided the warrantly as they had not been involved in the recovery. You don't argue with 2 burly Policemen that you have to wait to be recovered by Audi whilst on a busy motorway, you do as they tell you. At present car is on ramp in an Audi garage ( by that I mean an authorised by Audi garage) and they want £1800 to repair clutch. I was informed by person dealing with my problem that he has never seen this on an Audi A1 before and had looked on the internet but there was no problems to be found. I assume he thought I was internet illiterate and I promptly trailed the web to find this problem is common place and that Audi warranty issue the same statement that it is driver style and not covered. The Dealer whom I purchased this car from are trying their best and Audi UK have called garage involved to get the work done at no cost to ourselves. Needless to say one week later still up on ramp with no repair done!!!

Edited by Al3 on 25/06/2012 at 13:28

Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - balleballe

Yes, this tends to be a problem with recent diesels. £1800 - they are pulling your pants down over that!

German engineering eh?

Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - skidpan
One word answer WARRANTY. What does the dealer not understand about this simple concept.
Audi A1 - Flywheel and clutch damage - madf

It's VAG: surely you don't expect service?