Looking for a car around £1500 - ValiantSaint

Hi everyone, a friend of mine is looking for a smaller size car for around £1500, as her 2002 Laguna has just blown another turbo.

What can any of you suggest that would be reasonably well-built and cheap to run (It would be quite handy if the car had five doors, as well)

Many thanks in advance : )

Looking for a car around £1500 - Bobbin Threadbare

Nissan Almera, Toyota Corolla, Toyota Yaris or a Mk I Ford Focus. All mid-size except the Yaris, 5 doors mostly and they certainly do last. I see a lot of X and Y reg Foci still on the roads without a mark on them (obv you can't tell what they're like inside...). The other day I saw an impeccable R-reg Corolla; they really do last.

Petrols in the main, as a £1500 diesel might be a little cranky (your friend's Laguna is a prime example)

It's hard to say that something will be cheap to run - I used to run an old Focus and its servicing and insurance was 'cheap' and its fuel economy wasn't bad, but the tax was middling. Older cars often have worse fuel economy than newer ones - technology has advanced.

Looking for a car around £1500 - Avant

Excellent advice as always from Bobbin: I'd only add that at that price condition is more important than make and model. Of her suggestions I think I'd look first at Toyotas: nothing soldiers on quite like an old Toyota, except perhaps an old Volvo.

Looking for a car around £1500 - pint6x
I'd also co
Looking for a car around £1500 - pint6x
I'd also co

Dunno what happened to my previous attempt at posting, but I would also recommend the Honda Accord mk 5 made from 1998 to 2004. In What Car's 2006 survey of the top 100 most reliable cars, this Honda was in first place. This was before they introduced their diesel engine, so it'll probably be a V-TEC Petrol engine, but these are very very reliable. There are cars from this era available ffrom £500, so I would perhaps find the nicest latest one you can for your budget (say 2002) or buy an earlier one (1998) and keep the change, or perhaps invest in a full service with an independent garage you know you can trust. Don't go near a main dealer with this car.

Looking for a car around £1500 - ValiantSaint

Thank you all so much, for all the excellent replies. I've passed the info onto my friend and she's nosing through Auto Trader, as I type this!

Looking for a car around £1500 - jakey17

if she hasn't been completely put off Renault's I would personally recommend an 03/04 plate Megane - great engines and for some unknown reason alot more reliable than the majority of Renault's of that age

Looking for a car around £1500 - Xileno

Any MK2 Megane for £1500 will be dodgy. Better to get a late MK1.