Volvo S40 - Oil/Filter Change - worth doing - Dingle232

I recently bought a Volvo S40 2.0 Diesel with 49k on the clock and a full Volvo service history. It was last serviced at 46k but the oil does look very black; though I know this is not uncommon with diesels.It's done 50k miles now.

It's going to the dealer next Saturday for a couple of minor recall issues and I wondered whether it was worth getting an oil/filter change done at the same time? May be a belt and braces approach but I don't want to throw money away if not necessary.

Anyone any advice?

Volvo S40 - Oil/Filter Change - worth doing - ChannelZ

For £40, it's worth doing.

My diesel Astra was serviced just before I bought it, and the oil was still black. Due to a few issues, the car ended up with 3 oil changes in the space of 5000 miles. The oil was as clean as a petrol engine, and with 5k oil change intervals remained clean.

Diesels can have relatively clean oil, it doesn't have to be dirty.

Volvo S40 - Oil/Filter Change - worth doing - oldroverboy
It is worth you checking the national tyres website, they will do a fixed price oil and filter change, and you get a discount online. (maybe your volvo dealer will do this) and it's worth keeping him on board!agree the oil spec instore if you don't book it online, but works for me. I have 5000 mile oil changes in my epica diesel, useful if you have a dpf , because regeneration can push diesel past the pistons into the sump. best read hj's advice and information about dpf and oil changes and the effect of a sump full od diesel together with the "rise" in oil level on the dipstick when fuel goes into the sump.

I spoke to the dealer who tell me that it will cost £169 to change the oil and filter. I think I'll give it a miss at that price as it's ridiculous frankly.

PS: The dealers tell me that the 'cold' oil level of between 1/2 and 2/3 full for the S40 is normal and that independent dealers alwats fill it to the top which, in Volvo terms, is overfilled and causes the Engine Management light to activate.

National tyres have quoted £40 for the same job - has anyone any experience of them and whether they would know this?

Thanks for the help so far - appreciated.

Volvo S40 - Oil/Filter Change - worth doing - John F

I'd leave it till 55K if it's not working too hard on mostly main roads....let the oil level drop. I know that in my Audi it takes 5 litres just to get it to the minimum mark on the dipstick - which is where I like it in the winter so it warms up that bit quicker, which is better for the engine.

Also, why not do it yourself? I bet garages don't let it drain for a few hours to let all the black gunk slide off the internal surfaces and out through the drain hole. That's why commercially serviced vehicles' oil often looks black almost immediately.