Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - adburns

Hi,

I wondering if I can get some advice please.

I'm looking to replace an aging Fiat Punto as my wife is pregnant, expecting our first child in July.

I have had my eye on a Mazda 3 1.6 diesel as they seem to get good reviews and offer good MPG. I was also looking at a 2005 VW passat 1.9 TDI but I have heard that these have had reliabilty issues.

My budget is 6k and I'm basically looking for something that will offer good mpg and is cheap to run, also safe and spacious.

I'm kind of going round in circles at the moment so any advice would be great,

Thanks

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - Bobbin Threadbare

I have a friend who has just done exactly this - the baby is due this week and she p/xed a Ford Ka for a 54-plate Mazda 3. It is a petrol though - Mazda are not renowned for their diesel reliability. Reports (I've nicked this of HJ's review) of "Pressure gateway failure" (EGR failure) causing turbo failure on early 1.6 16v diesels.

As a Mazda owner and general fan, I say look for a petrol if you're going for that. They are cheap to insure, repair and space is not an issue - they have clever seat folding mechanisms too. Depends also on how old the Mazda 3 is too - 2009 onwards have no significant problems reported for the diesel.

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - balleballe

the 1.6d also has known turbo problems

I'd also stay away from the 2.2d in the newer mazda's to be honest. There are still problems with the DPF and problems with the timing chain

How many miles will you be doing a year?

Thanks for the replies.

Mileage will be pretty low, especially as I work from home and my wife will be off work for at least 9 months. I would say 10k miles would be optimistic.

Thanks

Edited by adburns on 20/02/2012 at 17:11

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - Avant

In which case definitely go for a petrol. If your priority is reliability rather than driving pleasure, any of the Japanese makes should suit, and if you like the Mazda 3 then go for it.

I've hired a 3 (1.6 petrol) and found it worthy but unexciting, although Bobbin finds her 2.0 Mazda6 rather more interesting to drive I think.

To be honest the mazda 3 and 6 have a lot of driving pleasure. I havent driven a better handling family car than my mazda 6 besides BMW's

Bobbin has the 1.8 IIRC

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - Xileno

6k is decent MK2 Focus territory - you might even get one of the early facelifted models.

1.6 ti-VCT is the best engine but does have a cambelt whereas the standard 1.6 is chain-cam.

Never used to like Fords but our Focus has gone four years and been absolutely faultless.

Most cars are NCAP 5 these days - Focus certainly is.

Leave diesels for higher mileage - dual mass flywheels and particulate filters can be very expensive to sort out if they make a bid for freedom. At higher milege the fuel saving tilts the balance more in their favour.

Yeah 1.8L. Still v. fun to drive.

I had a 1.6 Focus too - old school style. Also v. fun to drive.

Mazda need to pull their finger out with the diesels. It's a crying shame not to fix that big an issue when the cars are so good in other respects.

Yeah 1.8L. Still v. fun to drive.

I had a 1.6 Focus too - old school style. Also v. fun to drive.

Mazda need to pull their finger out with the diesels. It's a crying shame not to fix that big an issue when the cars are so good in other respects.

I know - I love the shape and styling of the mark 2 mazda 6 but I'll probably be getting a diesel next so that rules mazda out.

If you want a decent Jap diesel, seems like Honda is the only one. Only prob is the Accord with the I-DTEC will cost about the same as the equivalent BMW 3-series diesel model

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful.

To the Mazda owners; are there any majoy negatives to owning them, are they particularly expensive to fix if something does go wrong with them? I have read that the parts can be expensive?

Would it be worth looking at the Mazda 6 or would sticking with the 3 be a better bet?

Thanks again.

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - SteveLee

If you don't need a car as big as a 6 then get a 3, the bigger car will cost more to run, higher insurance cost, more expensive tyres, generally more expensive to tax. The Mazda 3 is a cracking car as is the Ford Focus it's based on. For £6K you will also be able to buy a KIA Cee'd with 4 years of the manufacturer's warranty left - which is nice.

I reckon it depends how much stuff you want to put in the car, as to looking at the 6 rather than the 3. Personally I think the 6 is more attractive and I once bought an entire bed back from Ikea in mine - it fitted with a bit of spare room. There's just me using mine; no kids, no pets, but I like big cars.

I reckon it'd be worth looking at the 6. You can get a 2.0L 2008 petrol for about £5.5k (£500 more for the diesel version).

The only difference I can see for the 3 is that you're getting a 2008 plate 1.6L with generally lower mileage than the 6 for around £6k.

I've no major negatives to report. I've only ever had to replace headlight bulbs and wiper blades on mine. Perhaps others will beg to differ, but they will run sweetly for a long time with relatively little looking after.

Thanks for the replies, all very helpful.

To the Mazda owners; are there any majoy negatives to owning them, are they particularly expensive to fix if something does go wrong with them? I have read that the parts can be expensive?

Would it be worth looking at the Mazda 6 or would sticking with the 3 be a better bet?

Thanks again.

Yes - ford's input wasn't very helpful and as a result the mazda 6 is not as reliable as the mazda 3. The mazda 6 is made at the joint ford/mazda plant in Michigan whereas the mazda 3 is still made in Japan.

You will find that the mazda 3 holds it value better - most likely because people want a 'mid size' family car and the mazda 3 has better reliability

They are no more or less expensive than toyota IME. Less expensive than Honda or any of the German's though

You can't go wrong with a Toyota really either - there's not much exciting about them but Mr Bobbin runs a Celica and it basically won't die.

Hi,

One difference I noticed between the 2008 models, is the 2008 mazda 6 seems to have an updated shape compared to the 3 which I think was updated a year later, is that right?

I am leaning towards the 6 now but i'm worried as you mentioned the reliabilty is not as good as the 3.

I've just been looking at a 2008 6 with less then 10k on ths clock for £7k, that seems a lot of car for the money.

Would it still be advisable to go for a petrol over a diesel?

Thanks

Would it still be advisable to go for a petrol over a diesel?

Thanks

Yes.

Your best bet is to find an example of each and test drive them! Only the driver can tell how much they like a car.

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - barney100

Look at a Volvo S40 or V40, Volvo did the job for me when we had two yoiungsters,dog, buggies etc.

Buying advice - small family car, around 6k - ChannelZ

You'll get a decent spec 2 or 3 year old Seat Ibiza with the 1.4 85PS engine for that. Basically a Polo without the VW badge tax.

I've been looking for cars to do a 50 mile commute in, replacing my old Mondeo, and the Ibiza is the cheapest newish thing I can find that isn't a wee tin box with a hairdrier engine.