Mitsubishi Colt 5-door (2005) - Noise in Higher Gears - ben1000

Hi all

My Mitubishi Colt 1.1 Black has developed a noise - sounds like something spinning or whirring.

When accellerating the noise is kind of drowned out by the engine, but it continues when not accellerating or braking. You can only really hear it when in fourth or fifth gears.

Any ideas what this could be? If I didn't know the car I might think it's normal, but it is definitely something which wasn't there before...

Thanks

Edited by ben1000 on 16/02/2012 at 18:30

Mitsubishi Colt 5-door (2005) - Noise in Higher Gears - Peter D

If you dip the clutch does it change the noise. If not I suspect a wheel bearing. Regards Peter

Mitsubishi Colt 5-door (2005) - Noise in Higher Gears - Oli rag

I had a similar noise recently. I thought it was a wheel bearing fault but on replacing my rear tyres (Avon zv3) with a new pair of uniroyals, the noise has gone. It got so loud I really couldn't believe it was just tyre noise.

Mitsubishi Colt 5-door (2005) - Noise in Higher Gears - TeeCee

Me too. To the extent that on a test drive prior to servicing, the mechanic also diagnosed a failing wheel bearing. I was rather relieved when I got a phone call saying it was merely tyre noise.

Again, disappeared come next tyre swap. Also, the tyres making the racket were quiet when new and only became really noisy as they reached the end of their lives.