BMW 118d vs 120d - Which one to go for? - guygamps

Hi

I am looking at 2 Beemers,

One is a 118d manual SE with quite a lot of extras including Start/Stop, Pro Sat Nav, heated seats etc, but missing a few things I really want, most importantly Blue Tooth preparation for pairing a mobile phone to it

Other is a 120d M-Sport Auto, again with lots of extras, mainly the same as the above plus Bluetooth prep, and a few other things too (like memory seats), the Bluetooth prep is important to me, but so is fuel economy and it doesn;t have the start/stop

All the reviews says the 118d is the one to go for, but this is a private purchase, not company purchase, so Road Tax is issue not company car tax.

How do they compare with respect to Insurance Group, Road Tax for private user?

Real world fuel economy register shows very little difference between them.

Other issue is the sports suspension versus the standard suspension, but only I can answer that one myself based upon personal preference.

Thoughts?

Guy

BMW 118d vs 120d - Which one to go for? - skidpan

Tried both before buying the 118D. Both were manual and the 120D did have a bit more performance but in the real world the 118D is well quick enough. Ours is the 143bhp model with stop/start.

Road tax on 118d manual is £30 PA, on 120d auto its £130. Official combined on 118d is 62.8 mpg, we get 48 mpg approx. The 120d auto has a combined of 52.3, expect to get 40 mpg max.

Insurance costs me £220 PA with full NCB protected.

We specifiaclly avoided the M-Sport suspension as it totally ruins the ride especially with the 18" run flats. Ours is on 17" wheels and the ride is fine, better with 16" wheels like the SE should have.