ford mondeo 1.8 mk1 petrol - Heating issues - r1cky

Hi my Mondeo stays cold on the gauge unless I'm sat stationary then it will creep up to the bottom of "normal" zone, as soon as I drive off it will shoot back down. It doesn't produce any hot air the air that does come out is slightly warm not enough to defrost the screen without scrapping it and not what it used to be like.

Reading some forums people say possibly thermostat does that sound right?

Thanks in advance for help...

Edited by r1cky on 12/02/2012 at 16:22

ford mondeo 1.8 mk1 petrol - Heating issues - boggles

Yes, thermostat stuck in the open position, almost certainly. While you are stationary, and no cold air passes over the engine and radiator, the bit of heat you have made, rises and the temperature sensor registers this on the gauge. Drive off, and the water pump speeds up, cold air passes through the engine, and down goes the temp gauge again. Get a new thermostat fitted, and take the opportunity to change the coolant, if it has not been done for a couple of years.

ford mondeo 1.8 mk1 petrol - Heating issues - bathtub tom

>>take the opportunity to change the coolant, if it has not been done for a couple of years.

Why?

I've never got a definitive answer. My coolant's nine years old, it's not long-life. I take a sample each year and pop it in the freezer. If it doesn't freeze, I assume it's OK. No-one's been able to say if the anti-corrosion properties deteriorate.

ford mondeo 1.8 mk1 petrol - Heating issues - unthrottled

No-one's been able to say if the anti-corrosion properties deteriorate

They do eventually! I found rust and scum in the expansion tank, then partially drained the radiator and topped up the expansion tank with new antifreeze. Drove for 100 miles or so and rechecked. Completely clear solution.

ford mondeo 1.8 mk1 petrol - Heating issues - mss1tw

No-one's been able to say if the anti-corrosion properties deteriorate.

All those head gaskets can't be wrong.