Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - ex-Triumph man

Has anyone ever used the car polish advertised on TV where you do not wash the car first? It says at the start of the advert that it uses a combination of silicones.

I always thought that you should never use silicone near a car's paintwork as it can lead to all sorts of problems in the event of needing to have a panel resprayed, silicone craters etc. Any comments?

Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - oldtoffee

Here is a professional's view on it - it is also known as quick detailing.

www.polishedbliss.co.uk and go to the quick detailing link

Edited by oldtoffee on 10/02/2012 at 11:16

Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - grimep

Off on a slight tangent I just bought a load of stuff to polish our cars, against my better judgement- there can be few worse ways to waste your precious time on this planet - fishing maybe - than polishing a car. And the only time I've ever shown that level of love to a car it rewarded me by breaking down regulalry and not even lasting a year.

Mine is 4 years old so while it has quite a few minor scratches and swirls its well worth saving at this point. So Ive got most of the farecla G3 stuff- detox, scratch remover, renovator, and a pot of turtlewax ice synthetic polish.

So I put the roofbox on the other day for the hols. Didn't take belt off. Its got a sharp buckle. You can guess the rest.

Once again the gods have punished me for giving a hoot about how shiny my car is!

Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - ohsoslow

OK, I'll admit to having used this stuff!

I use it on my 13 year old, very dark blue, fair weather toy, seemed something worth a try.

Being what it is, the car lives in the garage and mainly suffers from dust, occasional bird muck, squashed bugs and a little mud under the sills, rather than serious dirt.

This being the first year I've used it my routine has been.....

Early spring - a thorough good normal wash and polish.

Every month or so since - a dose of this stuff. Easy, quick, no nasty swirls / scratches yet (I gave it a good claying etc at end of last year) and a good shine.

Late autumn will give it another wash and polish.

My thoughts are ......... I am not subjecting the car to water which may collect in deep recesses in the car promoting rust. Nor am I spending my time washing and polishing the thing rather than driving it.

Not the usual daily car which would get much dirtier, so possibly the ideal use for the stuff.

I will give it a good thinking about at the end of the year or end of bottle whichever comes first.

Confession over!

Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - Sofa Spud

So what used to be called 'cleaning', and then 'valeting' is now known as 'detailing' :)

Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - Hamsafar

I use this under the name of Proshine. £20 for two 1 litre sprays.

You can also buy exactly the same stuff under another name Showroom shine, a few pounds more but has a much better quality of trigger spray.

I wash the car first and dry it but not 100% as you have to with many other waxes to prevent smears.

This stuff is great, wipes on and off easier than any other stuff I've used it has petroleum distillates that remove any tar, lime sap and stuck on grime and leaves a great shine. It also lasts as well as any other I have used.

It's so easy you could do it every other time you wash the car so it always has a deep lustre and beading.

Silicone based car polish as seen on TV - Avant

I'm sure I've got something similar by Turtle Wax in the garage - Wash & Wax I think, but it's a couple of years old and the name may be different now.