Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - Bobbin Threadbare

My accelerator pedal in my Mazda 6 is sticking - I have to press hard and then it 'snaps' to normal behaviour, which means I've essentially lost my fine throttle control. It's worse in colder weather, which somehow doesn't surprise me.

How can I fix it? It's really annoying! I wonder if there's gunk in the throttle vavle housing and if I can get in there and clean it out. I reckon I can just whip off the air intake hose but I have no idea what I can clean it with that's 'safe'. Or, indeed, if I am thinking along the right lines.

Much obliged if you've got an idea!

Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - unthrottled

The problem is most likely to be at the pedal end rather than the throttle body. Is it drive by wire, or a simple bowden cable. At that age I'd be surprised if it was the latter. I had a similar problem, but the problem was that the pedal stayed down! You had to hook your foot underneath the pedal to unstick it. Very tedious and embarrassing at traffic lights.

Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - Avant

Sorry there haven't been more people coming to the aid of a damsel in distress. Let's move this up the top again.

If you can get to the pedal linkage, is it worth spraying WD-40 liberally around?

Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - Pharma

Hi

i had the same problem on my Mazda 6 pertrol 1.8 54 plate, took it to an independant ex Mazda mechanic who cleaned the throttle housing etc for £30 and everything is fine now.

if you've not already fixed give it a go- don't go to a dealer as they will try to convince you to change the housing for about £800.

If you live near Witney I can pass on the mechanics details.

Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - balleballe

My '6' had the problem since I had it. Only 'stuck' first thing - fine afterwards

WD40 made no difference

Local mechanic told me there was probably too much tension in the wire; but it never bothered me enough to 'fix'

Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - The Gingerous One

Yep, 'gunk' in the throttle body is causing this.

I had this on my Mazda 6 petrol as well, I changed the throttle cable to no effect, and so took it to the local garage who cleaned the throttle body out FOC.

Now it's a 'service item' in my book, it needs doing every 2yrs/25k or so. Had it done again at the start of the year as pedal was just starting to stick @ idle again.

hope that helps,

Stuart

Mazda 6 - Sticking accelerator pedal - Bobbin Threadbare

Haha thanks guys. I don't look in this section very often.

The warmer weather appears to have sorted this out. I bought a can of WD40 but didn't actually spray any................!

Since it has disappeared, I think I will leave off fiddling about in the throttle body as I will be changing cars before winter anyway, and I don't want to do something silly.

@Pharma - yeah that's why I haven't taken it to a garage; I figured they'd sting me for a replacement!

Edited by Bobbin Threadbare on 27/04/2012 at 17:58