Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - GazNicki

I currently have a Mondeo TDCi. This is my second Diesel mondeo, and will be my last. I have been a fan of the blue oval for many years, and my best car to date was my ST200.

I need a diesel car for commuting (or a car on LPG) . I have been looking at Mazda 6's (due to price) and was wondering if they are a reliable car?

Just to put it into context, the Mondeo has been mine for less than 6 months and has already eaten every penny of my savings. £700 has been put into it already. Never again!

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - greenmeeny

I havn't heard great stories about Mazda 6's. especially the diesels. I think I read something somewhere that they are prone to premature engine failure- but may be wrong!

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - greenmeeny

Yes, it looks like the intercoolers can crack, the gearboxes sometimes fail, big end can go at low miles. Doesn't look good! What about a toyota avensis diesel?

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - SteveLee

You'll notice an "x' on Mazda 6 diesel dipsticks, it's there for a good reason, it denotes the upper level of the engine oil, there have been terrible problems with incomplete DPF regenerations filling the sump with unburned diesel, over a period of time this will contaminate and raise the level of the engine oil until it is ingested and burned (by being forced past the pistons rings) at which point the engine will uncontrollably overrev and blow to bits. Mazda claim to have sorted the problem with the latest software updates.

The petrol 6 is a fine car with decent reliability, as for the diesel, rearrange the following to form a well-known phrase or meaning...

"a with touch barge one pole wouldn't I"

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - Bobbin Threadbare

Mazda diesels have a bad rep as so much goes wrong.

I run a petrol '6', and haven't had a single issue with it. It's not far off 100k on the clock and I've been doing about 85 miles a day in it. I can't say I'd be better off with a diesel car even at this mileage, as I'd have been buying something 'older' anyway - I think I'll stick with petrol thanks! Also it's really comfy, it's got a bit of 'go' and you can get a lot in the boot.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - Avant

Steve is right - there have been too many horror stories on here about Mazda diesels. An Avensis diesel as suggested would do fine, or a Skoda Octavia which is a bit better to drive.

I don't know what your budget is, but if you look at the Octavia avoid the 2.0 PD engine and go for either the 1.9 PD or the newer 2.0 common-rail diesel.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - motorwaycruiser

I've owned a mazda 6 and several fords (but never a mondeo) and I agree with the advice given to you so far.

However, I definitely think that if you've spent 700 quid sorting out your mondeo you should stick with it unless you think something else is about to pack in.

If the car is a lemon fair enough get rid of it, but if they're age related issues that you've paid to sort why give someone else the benefit your good maintenance?

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a reliable and affordable diesel.

Does anyone know if the 2.5 TDI V6 in the passat is any good?

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - thunderbird

I'm quickly coming to the conclusion that there is no such thing as a reliable and affordable diesel.

We have had diesels since 1996, had 1 in the house 100% of that period, 2 in the house probably 50% of that period, 2 VW's, 2 Fords, 1 BMW and 1 Kia. We have not had a single issue with an engine and have covered well over 200,000 miles in total. The cars have always been properly serviced using the correct oil which is very important.

This is my second TDCi Mondeo, one of which was the 2.2 ST model. I wouldn't touch another with a barge pole. I just want an affordable and reliable car. The Mondeo Diesel is not that car. The V6 I had before was a dream car, just got past it's sell by date.

I know the Passat is nowhere near as refined as the Mondeo, but my Mondeo is a pig at the minute so a 1.0 Corsa from 1994 would be better - And faster!

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - balleballe

I drive a first Generation mazda 6 with the 2.0 petrol engine.

Good points:

Quite reliable.

Excellent Handling

Excellent space both inside the cabin and the boot (mine's a saloon)

Engine relatively tight for age. Only consumes around 500ml oil every 3-4k miles

Comfortable seats (and i'm a big guy too)

Bad Points:

I have the 4 speed auto which seems to have become suddenly quite sluggish - shouldnt be a problem though if you go manual

Eats through tires - uneven wear on tires common for this model

Front lights are not very bright when compared to other cars. This is even with Osram Nightbreakers

Not very good in the snow/ice compared with other similar sized front wheel cars. Even with winter tyres

I've done 25k in mine in just over a year. It's now on 102k The issues besides normal stuff:

Original radiator went @90k

Wiring loom of left light had to be 'replaced' due to corrosion - common problem with these. This is thanks to Ford's wonderful input!

Two bolts which hold the front end of the engine cover (under the car) became corroded and 'fell out' leading to 'flapping' - bought some new bolts from mazda and screwed them in

Edited by balleballe on 09/02/2012 at 22:19

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm going to copy balleballe here, as I have the 1.8 petrol manual version running at 100k ish on the clock:

Good points

Reliable

Excellent handling; like a much smaller car on country lanes :-))

It's a manual so I can summon some quite super performance from it, beyond what you'd imagine a big 1.8 might be able to do

Very spacious; mine's the hatchback version and I can get an entire flatpack bed in there

Mine's also good on oil, possibly a bit better than balleballe's

I agree about the comfy seats and space - I'm 5'7" and I don't feel that the car is too big and my husband likes it too (he's well over 6ft)

I will also add that it's a nice looking car and the stereo is the best in-built one you'll get for a mid-range car.

Bad points

My driver's side headlight bulb blows every 10-11 months, which suggests a recurring issue and it's a faff to change it!

No, the headlights aren't the brightest, but they did improve that on the 2008-on model

Ummm....that's it.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - ChannelZ

It's a nice engine, 170hp I think. I've driven a Superb with the 2.5TDI and it went very well. I horsed the hell out of it and it returned just under 40mpg.

Apart from the noise, I think the 2.0TDI in 170hp trim is a better engine. Bit noisier, but goes just as well, and gives better economy. Belts on the V6TDI are eye-wateringly expensive to replace.

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - balleballe

Also - just a quick mention

Prins LPG convert 1.8 petrol mazda's (fleets). You'll need 'valvesaver'/flashlube/JLM though to prevent valve seat recession.

considering you can get an 07 plate (last year of the 1st gen) mazda 1.8 with FSH for only 3-4k; it looks an attractive idea.

I'm also tinkering with the idea myself

Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - johncyprus
Had a 06 1.8 petrol until recently, one of the best cars I've ever owned,I've never understood why they're not more common. Nearly as entertaining to drive as my MX5 yet immensely practical. The 1.8 is quite sufficient and as everybody will tell you, avoid the diesels.
Mazda 6 - Mazda 6 - any good? - SteveLee

Going by your original post, £700 is a lot of money to you - and you want a Passat 2.5V6 TDi? They are horrendously expensive to maintain compared to a Mondeo (belts aren't easy) and if the fuel pump goes, £700 won't even dent the garage bill.