MINI One - Very Low Mileage 2005 Car - A Good Buy? - nantgaredig

I have been offered a 2005 Mini One 1.6 petrol on a 2005 plate with just 12,500 miles on the clock. Owner is 2nd registered keeper, 64 years old and has owned the vehicle as a second car for all but a year of it's life. Mileage is 100% genuine and has been verified. Car serviced every 12 months at main dealer.

The car is like new but should I fear such a low mileage?

MINI One - Very Low Mileage 2005 Car - A Good Buy? - Avant

It depends. If the owner used it occasionally for long trips, all well and good. But if it's been used for lots of short journeys to the shop, pub etc. it'll be well worn and is best avoided.

If possible, try to find out how it was used. If the owner won't tell you, walk away.

MINI One - Very Low Mileage 2005 Car - A Good Buy? - gordonbennet

If it has an oil change every 12 months and is as good underneath as on top and its a decent price???..i'd be round there like a shot.

I mature owner cars like this are what many of us covet, treated with sympathy not thrashed to within an inch of its life from stone cold, hurled over speed humps, never cleaned or had the bonnet raised, oil pressure light doubling as dipstick etc.

Check drivers seat, pedal and sill areas for signs of lots of entry and exits to give a clue to previous use.

Many thanks - good sense advice there.

Many thanks
MINI One - Very Low Mileage 2005 Car - A Good Buy? - skidpan

As said above providing it has been serviced according to the Mini schedule (every 2 years for the milage done) it will be fine but I would budget for replacing a few parts. The battery, if it the original will be getting towards the end of its days and the tyres, which if not damaged will be the originals. They should have plenty of tread left but remember that the max life of a tyre before replacement is 6 years, the rubber goes hard and the tyre looses grip plus the sidewalls crack and the tyre becomes dangerous. Its not a legal requirement or MOT fail but when you consider that they are your only contact with the road its not worth the risk.

http://www.carbibles.com/tyre_bible.html#ixzz1kZe1aPMj

Edited by skidpan on 27/01/2012 at 09:10

Let us know if you get the car N....by the way are you in deepest Welsh Wales with that fine alias?..;)

About an hour West of Cardiff in the Towy Valley.

Well spotted!

Great advice thanks but car had gone by the time I got there!

Bad luck there N.

If there is a good car lurking about be quick, very quick.

NIce part of the world you live in, i love West Wales, and the 'sparingly' inhabited regions, peace and quiet, apart from the sheep..:-)

edit....swear filter doesn't like lightly inhabited areas..;)

Edited by gordonbennet on 28/01/2012 at 19:57

Bad luck there N.

If there is a good car lurking about be quick, very quick.

NIce part of the world you live in, i love West Wales, and the 'sparingly' inhabited regions, peace and quiet, apart from the sheep..:-)

edit....swear filter doesn't like lightly inhabited areas..;)

Yes indeed, lovely part of the world with some great, uncrowded roads to enjoy as well.

Something will turn up for my son I'm sure. I am an optimist despite what my wife might say!

I'll give the sheep (plenty of them!) your regards

All the best