Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - abradders

Our Honda CRV is making a very strange noise when driving along on cold mornings. The noise starts after about two minutes of driving – never from pulling away – always after two minutes, and then can be heard for about two minutes – sometimes continually, other times not – and then disappears until the car has been left standing for a good while either during the day or over night.

It only does it on cold mornings and Honda cannot figure it out from this video, although my local dealer have checked that everything is OK with the car – although clrearly soemthing is wrong! Of course by the time you get to a Honda garage the noise has gone.

Also, when you hear the noise you also feel vibration in the steering.

Hopefully this video helps.

youtu.be/isAfShBtB60

Any advice or pointers much appreciated.

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - bathtub tom

It would appear to be when the suspension's depressed, perhaps?

Have you tried knocking it out of gear, changing gear, pressing the clutch when it happens?

What happens if you press the brake pedal?

What happens if you steer a little left or right?

Thanks for coming back to me. I should have said that the car is an automatic.

When steering in either direction the noise stays at the same noise level – it doesn't seem to deviate at all in tone or level, and from memory pressing brakes don't affect it either, however I will double check both of those and report back.

Honda have had all the wheels off and spotted nothing at all.

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - Peter.N.

Interesting - the noise sounds as though its being modulated at wheel rotation speed although not being generated by it, something resonating, wheel bearing? I would be inclined to ignore it - as best you can - until it develops into something you can find, or goes away.

Just coming back to you on this as the weather is cooler now and the noise is starting again.

It makes no difference to the noise if steering left or right and also no difference when pressing brakes.

Hopefully I can get Honda to hear the noise and feel the vibration in steering now weather is cooling.

Thanks to all for your help to date.

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - xtrailman

Sounds like a fluid noise, auto box perhaps?

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - Xena

Power steering pump or rack?

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - Tonypep

My 2006 CRV diesel was making very similar noise in October but not happened since.

I was on the motorway on the way home from the airport and it made the noise on and off from what appeared to be the rear for about 30 minutes. Diff fluid was changed 6 months previous so discounted that.

Changed my speed varying from 45 to 70 mph and never made much difference. It was an 155 mile drive and gale force westerly winds and the wife thought it was wind noise under the car. As sudden as it started it disappeared when i came off the M1 southbound onto M62 eastbound.

It was ok on the way to the airport and only done the odd short motorway run since and no problems.

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - netmo

Hello,

my 2009th CR-V 2.0 does exactly the same sound at low outside temperatures for the first 10-20 minutes.

I already changed the differential fluid, but the noise still exists.

Did you find out the problem meanwhile and could resolve the issue?

Thanks in advance and best regards from Germany

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - madf

Sounds like power steering pump. A fluid change might work.

Thank you, I will keep it in mind as possible solution. But before changing that fluid on spec I hope for an answer from abradders. Probably he found the issue within the last 3 years and can help out.

Edited by netmo on 20/01/2015 at 23:05

I found out, that my CR-V 2.0 i-vtec from 2009 does not have an fluid system for the power steering, it just works electrical. So a fluid change concerning power steering won't work.

Does anybody know, if and how I can write a privat message to another user of this portal?

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - RobJP

You can't.

Ok, thank you, than I just can wait and hope that the thread initiator will answer here.

Honda CRV EX 2007 - Honda CRV making very strange noise - joechin13

My 56-reg (new to 2007 style) CR-V EX 2.0 with about 64,000 miles started consistently making the rear end noise when the weather got cold about a month ago. As someone else described, the noise is normally not there when the vehicle is used for the first time of the day, but after stopping somewhere for a while and restarting, the noise will be present for the first couple miles then go away for the remainder of the journey. The diff fluid was changed during the annual service last week, but the noise started again a day later. It is colder than usual here in London today (about 4-5 C) and the noise was present from the first drive of the day. I am going to call the dealer on Monday morning to find out what they have to say.