Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - Cevs80

I currently drive a 51 plate, 2.0 laguna Dynamique and am very happy with the car but a new job has meant a 100 mile round trip commute. I am in the market for a car maybe 2003-2005 for about 3k and would appreciate some thoughts on whether a petrol or diesel would be the most sensible. Ecomomy is the key really which made me believe that diesel was the best option but having read some discussions on here it seems that diesel although cost less at the pump actually are more of a risk and it maybe worth looking at a smaller petrol engine instead. Any suggestions/advice would be most welcome. Many thanks

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - unthrottled

Definitely diesel territory-based on mileage.

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - diddy1234

Definatley diesel in that mileage range.

Possibly a Kia Rio 1.5L diesel. you can get them for that price now.

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - Avant

If you wanrt something with a bit more zing for your 100-mile commute, think about something with the VW Group 1.9 TDI engine.

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - balleballe

If you wanrt something with a bit more zing for your 100-mile commute, think about something with the VW Group 1.9 TDI engine.

As above really. You can get a seat leon, toledo or passat with a PD 1.9 TDI engine - service history and reasonable mileage for 3k

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - BenG

Would suggest going for the 100 or 130hp VW 1.9TDI in an old-shape VW Passat or Bora. The 150 version in my Seat Leon is laggy and does not pick up until 2000+ rpm and the ride quality is appalling.

The car has also had numerous build quality / reliability issues and I beieve VW cars are better than Seats in that respect.

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - unthrottled

That's interesting. The torque limited maximum fuelling of the 150 version is less than the 130 at 1250 RPM, but identical at 1500. From 1900RPM onwards, the 150 permits higher fuelling. Max boost pressure is slightly lower for the 150 below 1500 RPM.

Petrol/Diesel 3K - Some kind buying advice would be much appreciated! - balleballe

Would suggest going for the 100 or 130hp VW 1.9TDI in an old-shape VW Passat or Bora. The 150 version in my Seat Leon is laggy and does not pick up until 2000+ rpm and the ride quality is appalling.

The car has also had numerous build quality / reliability issues and I beieve VW cars are better than Seats in that respect.

It seems that pre 2005 - seat reliability was about the same as the rest of the VAG stable - and that's average at best!