The driving test - Trilogy
Rural Roads Should Be Part Of The Test, Says IAM Honest John
Mon, 23 Jan 2012

The IAM is renewing its call on the government to make driving on rural A-roads a mandatory part of the driving test.

IAM research shows that 82 per cent of rural fatal and serious casualties are on single carriageway roads compared with just 18 per cent on motorways and dual carriageway roads*.

However the current driving test fails to take this into account. While good instructors understand that experience on a wide variety of roads in different conditions gives young people the best chance of survival, all too many merely educate up to the existing test standard. Knowledge of parking, emergency stops and low speed manoeuvres is important but dealing with high speed corners, bad weather, and overtaking are far more vital skills.

The recent report from the IAM The fast and the curious*1, found that new drivers themselves felt unprepared for real life scenarios and would welcome extra help.

The IAM has written to the road safety minister to outline its views on how it believes the government should tackle deaths and accidents of the highest risk group on our roads, young drivers. This starts with improving the driving test to include training on our most dangerous roads – single-carriageway rural A-roads.

IAM chief executive Simon Best said: “More than half the cars on our roads are rated as four or the maximum five star in European safety tests, and the figure is even higher for new cars. Our roads are also getting safer in their design*2.

“But the roads where drivers, especially young drivers, are most frequently killed and injured are still not consistently part of the driving test. The minister recently announced young drivers would be allowed to use motorways when accompanied by an instructor, but it is single carriageway A-roads where the real problem lies.

“Driver and rider error is a contributory factor in two thirds of accidents*3. We can only improve our cars and roads so far. The challenge now is to improve the humans that drive them, to continue our outstanding record of road safety.”

The IAM is the UK’s largest independent road safety charity, dedicated to improving standards and safety in driving, motorcycling and cycling. The commercial division of the IAM operates through its occupational driver training company IAM Drive & Survive. The IAM has more than 200 local volunteer groups and over 100,000 members in the UK and Ireland. It is best known for the advanced driving test and the advanced driving, motorcycling and cycling courses. Its policy and research division offers advice and expertise on road safety. More at IAM

Edited by Trilogy on 24/01/2012 at 22:21

The driving test - unthrottled

IAM research shows that 82 per cent of rural fatal and serious casualties are on single carriageway roads compared with just 18 per cent on motorways and dual carriageway roads*.

It's hardly IAM research, is it? The figures are provided by the police.

A-roads are the easiest part of the driving test-much easier than urban routes. The driving test does not reflect how people drive after the test. A roads involve higher speeds than urban routes, so injudicious actions tend to lead to more serious accidents.

Typical IAM, misinterpreting the data and drawing the wrong conclusions.

The driving test - Bromptonaut

PLenty parts of the country where a proper rural A would be a longride from the test centre.

The driving test - jamie745

It's hardly IAM research, is it? The figures are provided by the police.

I've made no secret of my dislike for the organisation and examples like that only add weight to my point. Its not 'IAM research' its police statistics. All the IAM did was go on a website and cut/paste them, which any 12 year old could do.

As for the proposal itself, its made difficult by geography. The driving test is around 40 minutes long and in that they want to observe one reversing manouvere and as many different types of driving route as possible, they also want to include the 'independant driving' which is all well and good. But in some areas it'd take you 40 minutes just to reach the A-road, drive on it and come back to the test centre. The solution isnt an easy 'make the test longer' because then test fees would have to rise or else test centre's would go out of business.

On my driving test i had some dual carraigeway involved as the test centre was a 3 minute drive from one. On my first test the DC section took up nearly half of the test and it was a major relief because thats the easiest type of road to drive on, i still failed on something stupid elsewhere but thats not the point. The point is that rural roads are the most hazardous for all drivers mainly because your visibility ahead is at its worst on a rural road.

Instead of trying to squeeze all this nonsense into the test itself, they'd be better off incorperating the Pass Plus (which deals with such types of roads and is undertaken by the instructor, not an examiner) into a graduated licencing program. Make it so as you need the Pass Plus before you can take the practical test, then you know candidates have had tuition on such roads.

Edited by jamie745 on 24/01/2012 at 23:48

The driving test - unthrottled

Make it so as you need the Pass Plus before you can take the practical test, then you know candidates have had tuition on such roads.

That's not daft at all. Only so much can be achieved by a formal test because the candidate wants to do what they think the examiner wants to see. So they use the hand brake on the three-point turn, hold the steering wheel at ten-to-two, follow the kerb as they reverse round the corner etc etc. All tossed out the window as soon as one gets one's shiny test certificate. And none of it helps an inexperienced driver from losing control of their car on a poorly juded bend.

My instructor always said 'reversing round a corner doesnt kill drivers, bad driving does' so he was always keen to spend as much of our time as possible doing actual driving. It helped that i picked up the manouvere's very quickly anyway so we didnt need to waste time on them. I was more relaxed and focused with my instructor, on the tests it was all about watching the clock on the dashboard and hoping for the best. As it happens, due to where i lived it was easy to go out onto rural roads on lessons anyway and i had several hours on such things. The Pass Plus usually gives you a few hours experience on rural and 'unfamiliar' roads (ie roads you've never driven on before) to get you used to actually driving, not just memorising roads.

Isnt it best that we guarantee that new drivers have that experience rather than just cram a 10 minute countryside detour into the practical test?

That's not daft at all.

That sounded remarkably like you agreed with an idea of mine. Dont think i didnt notice. I saw you.

The driving test - Trilogy

jamie, 'It helped that i picked up the manouvere's very quickly anyway so we didnt need to waste time on them.'

I seem to remember you recently said on here you had to take your test 3 times before you passed. What went wrong?

The driving test - dieseldogg

Ouch!

or rather perhaps

Touche!

The driving test - Chris M

In my opinion the responsibility rests with the instructor. An examiner wants to see that the candidate has proper control of the car, is aware of their surroundings (hazards) and can drive safely. I think they can get a pretty good idea from the current test routes. It's the instructors that should be exposing the learner to every type of road, weather and traffic conditions they can find - including rural A roads. I did with my son when I taught him and he passed first time - he says smugly ;-)

The driving test - RT

In my opinion the responsibility rests with the instructor. An examiner wants to see that the candidate has proper control of the car, is aware of their surroundings (hazards) and can drive safely. I think they can get a pretty good idea from the current test routes. It's the instructors that should be exposing the learner to every type of road, weather and traffic conditions they can find - including rural A roads. I did with my son when I taught him and he passed first time - he says smugly ;-)

Agreed - because of a lack of motorway and busy A-road tuition, I let my son drive the busy A5/A14 route before he took his test to make sure he'd be able to handle that later.

For the avoidance of doubt - stopping and letting me drive for the M11 section !!!

I seem to remember you recently said on here you had to take your test 3 times before you passed. What went wrong?

Well i didn't fail on the manouveres, obviously.