Cars - good design - Trilogy

Having done a topic on bad design I thought it was time to balance up. In case anyone thinks there is any bias, I don't like Vauxhalls, nor am I a fan of General Mess cars.

Small hatch - Ford Fiesta

Small family hatch - Opel Astra

Medium size hatch - Mazda 6

Opel Insignificant

Nissan QashQai, with the latest front design - overall design IMO nicked from a now defunct manufacturer

Posh medium sized - Mercedes C-Class saloon

Larger exec saloon - Jaguar XF - really zilch competition apart from Volvo S80

'Four wheel drive' - Range Rover Evoque 5 door

- Infiniti EX

The above are of course just my opinion. Some will be a little controversial but some are spot on e.g. Jaguar XF/Mazda 6. Sportscars/supercars....................Well, I can't be bothered although Aston Martins take alot of beating

Cars - good design - veryoldbear

But what about decent practical estate cars ? It seems to be a dying breed. You either have to go 4 x 4 or sporty things you can't get furniture into ... the only manufacturer who makes "real" estate cars appear to be Volvo ....

Cars - good design - dereckr

Just to clarify. I assume you’re talking about styling here?

If so, I would definitely agree about the Fiesta…by far the best looking vehicle in its class.

Even Volvo are moving away from true estates i.e. the V60 coupe estate. Style over function whereas for Volvo it used to be the other way around. BTW the Mundano is a huge estate.

dereckr, indeed I am. You're right, Fiesta bar none. The old C-Max was probably best looking in class unlike the new one!

Cars - good design - jamie745

Volvo havent made a traditional Volvo-style estate since they rebranded about 10 years ago. Volvo's used to be pretty dull things but now they make cars people might actually want to own. Mercedes make a bigger estate than Volvo do.

Cars - good design - TeeCee

Just to annoy you with your dislike of GM vehicles.

I'm afraid I'm going to have to nominate the Zafira for small/medium MPV. I still remember the reaction in the motoring press when it became apparent that the predicted Astra-based MPV was going to have 7 seats. "Gobsmacked" would be an understatement. Only MPV I've ever driven that manages to feel like a car rather than a van and still has 7 usable seats.

I suppose every manufacturer must have one good car in 'em.

Then again, I see you have the Evoque and Infiniti down for 4x4, which is a bit like nominated Steven Hawking as Sports Personality of the Year IMHO.....

Just to annoy you with your dislike of GM vehicles.

I dislike them so much that I included the Astra and Insignificant. Aesthetically good designs, unlike a Zafira, especially from the rear.

Then again, I see you have the Evoque and Infiniti down for 4x4, which is a bit like nominated Steven Hawking as Sports Personality of the Year IMHO.....

They are indeed 4x4. The Evoque is highly capable as a 4x4.

Cars - good design - ChannelZ

Only MPV I've ever driven that manages to feel like a car rather than a van and still has 7 usable seats.

I suggest you try a C-Max sometime. :)

Cars - good design - RT

Or is that Grand C-Max ?

S-max is supposed to be the best to drive!

Cars - good design - thunderbird

If we are talking best MPV/Estate wife had a 55 plate C-Max and it was an excellent drive for a tall car, just as good as an ordinary Focus. Drove an S-Max, great car to be honest, just too big for us.

Estate design today is frustrating, manufacturers appear to go for style over function, just look at the way Volvo has gone. Wifes old 240 barge would hold the contents of a house, V60 was hopeless, did not even bother taking a brochure.

She has got a Kia Ceed SW now, drive is fine, as good as Focus unless you are particulary fussy, but its big plus is it has as much cargo space as a Mondeo Estate in a much smaller overall sized car. That is not using the manufacturers figures which I don't always trust, that is using a tape and calculator.

Skoda Octavia was another good compact wagon but the brochure figures deceived a little since the car does not even have a space saver, add one of those and its smaller than the Ceed/Mondeo.

Even Ford have failed with the new C-Max and Grand C-Max, both have less luggage space than the old one.

Cars - good design - TeeCee

Only MPV I've ever driven that manages to feel like a car rather than a van and still has 7 usable seats.

Ah yes, but I have the same kneejerk dislike of Fords that the OP has of GM products. Mostly down to never having found one with a seat I could sit in for more than 5 minutes without regretting it for the next few days.

Cars - good design - Oli rag

Posh medium sized - I'd go for the skoda superb estate.

Not sure about anyone else but the rear of a vauxhall insignia is just wrong.

Cars - good design - 475TBJ

On the flipside....................ugliest 4WD http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202441151766/sort/priceasc/usedcars/model/tribeca/make/subaru/postcode/rg214ea/page/1/radius/1500?logcode=p

Cars - good design - Avant

Isn't there a SsangYong (Rodius?) that''s even worse than that?

This thread shows very well that an estate car is always going to be a battle between style and substance - but I can never quite work out why it has to be, and I suspect that no-one asks potential customers. How many of us buy estate cars because we want them to look stylish?

Purely subjectively, I'd say that the best compromises currently on the market are the Skoda Superb estate (which looks a lot better than the hatchback) and the Mercedes C- and E-class estates.

Cars - good design - unthrottled

Whoever designed the current 5 series should be taken out and shot-in front of their families.

The 5 series was once, IMYO at least, the most handsome estate on the market.

Whoever designed the current 5 series should be taken out and shot-in front of their families.

Sorry unthrottled i have Unison on the phone right now. They're telling me about how shocked and offended they are by that comment and how in some countries, car designers actually are murdered in front of their families - with any luck it'll be the person who designed the Ssangyong Rexton - so we cant joke about it here.

Cars - good design - unthrottled

I'm too busy trying to remove my car key from my right knee to care.

Cars - good design - RT

Most estates are designed for good volume below the window line - for those there's no excuse for lack of style but many fail. The 2003-2009 Subaru Outback is very pleasing to the eye in an understated way - but not particularly spacious inside.

The few estates designed for good volume up to roof level have almost vertical tailgates and no chance of style!

Edited by RT on 26/01/2012 at 22:06

Avant, its always easier to stuff up a saloon design than an estate one. I agree with Superb and C-Class estate but not E-Class, well not the current one. I do like the previous one, the 211.

Unthrottled, 5 series estate, I like the Chris Bungle one. I had a client who had one. The more I looked athe design, particularly the details, the more I liked it.

RT, last scooby Legacy had an understated elegance about it.

jamie, there's an XF estate on the way. Here's hoping its as good as the saloon.

General estate gripe, far fewer today have the seats folding down properly. This results in either.............a sloping load space, a shallower than necessary one, and the squab creates a natural barrier behind the front seats when the seats fold properly. Either designers or the public are becoming lazy...................maybe both!

Cars - good design - RT

General estate gripe, far fewer today have the seats folding down properly. This results in either.............a sloping load space, a shallower than necessary one, and the squab creates a natural barrier behind the front seats when the seats fold properly. Either designers or the public are becoming lazy...................maybe both!

There's no excuse for a sloping floor - the 2nd and 3rd row seats in my Santa Fe are on links which make the seat-base drop to floor level so that the seat-back can lie flat when folded.

Cars - good design - daveyjp

There's no doubt in terms of load lugging my B class is far more practical than the X type estate it replaced. It is shorter than a Focus (previous model which was shorter than the current model) so compact enough for town centres and getting into tight car parking spaces (and my tricky second parking space at home), but it has more load space than the current Mondeo Estate which to me felt as long as a narrow boat!

My B class doesn't have the full flex seating system option which enables you to remove the rear and passenger seat, but the rear seat squabs tumble forward and can be removed if required, the floor is flat once the rear seat back is pushed forward (unlike the X). The boot floor can be raised leaving a gap under the floor which, even with a spacesaver on board can hold a lot of gear. Remove the spare and it will hold a week's shopping. The only aspect of the X type I would like back is an opening rear window - very handy for packing the car to roof level as the closed rear door holds the items already loaded.

Cars - good design - Avant

Agreed - the arrangements in the back of the B-class are a paragon of good design - all that Daveyjp says, and also you don't have to take the headrests out to lower the seatbacks, as you do on VWs and Skodas.

I think that if I'd had a petrol B-class instead of the diesel I would have been quite happy with it.

Cars - good design - 1litregolfeater

On my old Skoda Estelle, you could take the back seats out and lay the flat for camping.

That was good design.

Yeah 'camping.'

Is that what you crazy kids are calling it these days?