Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - vjohn82

Hi all,

Long time reader/first time poster :)

Been happy with my 1.4 Peugeot 206 LX but I'm not putting it through another MOT so it's time to buy something else. My budget is £1000 tops.

I've found this car http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203442537359/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/1000/quantity-of-doors/5/model/307/make/peugeot/postcode/cv107su/radius/60/page/1?logcode=p

It has 187k on the clock though. Seems a good car for the money but the mileage is putting me right off. I don't want to waste the guys time on it but what do you guys think?

Thanks in advance.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - madf

"loads of Receipts"!

Capitals plus the above would put me off.

(Loads of receipts = loads of trouble in my view unless just service and consumables.

Wow... I didn't realise high mileage cars had such a bad rep.

Any reason I shouldn't be looking at a diesel?

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - bonzo dog

Hi Vjohn

All cars in this price range will have some faults. But you are never going to know what they are until you buy it & drive it.

You take your chance with any used car, certainly any used car of this age & mileage.

But if you said "no" to every car that was up on mileage, old in years, high in terms of number of owners etc etc ....... you'd end up buying a new car.

1. As diesels go, it's a Peugeot which is good;
  2. it's got a long MOT (which is obviously good),
  3. check the tyres (to make sure they haven't been switched since the MOT)
  4. check the log book & service records to verify what he says about it being a 2 owner ex-company vehicle that has been serviced regulary
  5. check the oil level
  6. & if the body-work is in good nick & it starts first time, it's as good a buy as any.

Change the oil & filter as soon as you get home

Good luck

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - tony g
Hi vj,
187000 miles is just to many miles,this is a car at the end of it's useful life.

It will need constant attention and money to keep it running ,

It would be more sensible to spend £1000 on an older petrol engine car ,perhaps a Mazda or Nissan ,they're dull ,but for budget motoring they make good sense.

Regards

Tony g
Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - ChannelZ

More miles than the USS Enterprise, it's French, and the seller has the literacy skills of a 5 year old. I wouldn't touch it with yours.

There's lots of real cars on AT at less than a grand. Go for something like a petrol Focus or Astra - they're old, low tech cars than can be fixed with a hammer and cable ties. Go for the 1.6 8v Astra around 2002, or any Focus around the same era, and you'll have a car that will just work.

What about this as an option?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203443128188/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/1000/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/quantity-of-doors/5/make/peugeot/postcode/cv107su/page/3/radius/60?logcode=p

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - Bobbin Threadbare

It's already had a new engine! Also the advert says 1.4L LX at the top, but in the body of text it says it's a 2.0 XSI. Well suss.

Not doing too well here haha

Ok, this one?

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/180789823124?ssPageName=STRK:MESINDXX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1436.l2649#ht_500wt_1413

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - Bobbin Threadbare

vjohn, have you got some criteria?

You can get some cracking bargains on Autotrader and eBay, but it helps to have a firm idea of what you're looking for, what type of driving you do etc. You can get a lot for your £1000, but do beware of super high mileage diesels. It is anecdotally accepted that a Japanese petrol car of some sort will be the best bet at this price range (not to say there aren't other good ones!). Mazdas are decent to drive. Toyotas are bulletproof, Hondas are good as well.

A 307 to a Mondeo is quite a leap.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - madf

Daewoos of all shapes and sizes under £1k and 60k miles.

Unwanted, unloved, reliable. Cheap.

What more can anyone want?

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/daewoo/postcode/st87dr/radius/1500/price-to/1000/sort/priceasc/maximum-mileage/up_to_60000_miles

Edited by madf on 23/01/2012 at 16:52

Not keen on Daewoos. Not trying to be too picky but I just don't like the look of them. Thanks for the suggestion.

I suppose it would be a good idea for me to set out what I need and like... so here goes.

Been REALLY happy with my 1.4 206. It's been reliable for me but time to change. I have 2 kids and the while the car is perfect for our needs really, the car is knackered (accident) so I'm being forced to change.

Ideally I want a 5 door but I'm not dogmatic about that. I like petrol or diesel but I do like the idea of the fuel economy from the latter. I once owned a Rover 220 SDi and it was the best car I have ever driven and I managed to get some brilliant mileage out of it. Reliability wasn't brilliant though (electrics pinched in the boot gaiter... right mess).

If I'm looking at a saloon style car (Mondeo/Passat) then I wanted it in diesel... smaller car is fine as a petrol but nothing over a 1.6.

Right now I'm doing shorter journeys (7 mile round trips for kids school) but in a few months time I could be doing longer journeys (60 - 80 miles round trip).

I thought a 307 would be the ideal step up from a 206 and because I enjoyed my 220 I thought diesel was the way to go. The way it sounds, perhaps I shouldn't?

I used to own a 1.8 Nissan Almera and loved that car but it guzzled fuel... I noticed that they do a 1.5 version which I would consider.

My budget is, really, £1000 unless the car comes with a couple of months tax. A long MOT (till Aug) is a must because I have a family holiday to pay for.

Buying a car right now couldn't be more of a pain in the backside financially but we've managed to scrimp and save.

So, any ideas are most appreciated.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - unthrottled

Been REALLY happy with my 1.4 206. It's been reliable for me but time to change.

Could I ask why? At the bargain basement territory, it's normally better the devil you know-unless you know there's something really wrong with it!

£1000 is not enough to have a reasonable chance of getting a good diesel. With ageing high milers, even if the engine is good (it should be), the rest of the car willl be showing wear.

Well I do over 20k miles a year in a 1.8l petrol car. A Japanese one. It's cheap. It takes no fixing and for someone my age, the insurance is cheap. Tax is middling.

What car is it if you don't mind me asking?

It's a Mazda 6. 6s and Mondeos share many parts!

I must admit to liking the MX6... looks a quality car.

Would you go for petrol over diesel?

Would you go for petrol over diesel?

It's just a '6', no coupes for me!

Yes in the case of Mazdas, it has to be petrol. They let themselves down with poor diesels, which is a shame.

It's accident damaged and not really worth reparing. It was looking it's age anyway (bumper not attached correctly etc) so althought I'm having to make the decision sooner than I would have liked, it's still a decision I need to make.

I've narrowed my decision down a little to these diesels.

1) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201204443971905/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/1000/maximum-mileage/up_to_100000_miles/quantity-of-doors/5/make/peugeot/page/4/postcode/cv107su/radius/60?logcode=p

2) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202441033183/sort/priceasc/usedcars/price-to/2000/quantity-of-doors/5/fuel-type/diesel/model/307/make/peugeot/postcode/cv107su/page/1/radius/40?logcode=p

3) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203443605022/sort/priceasc/usedcars/maximum-age/up_to_10_years_old/price-to/2000/fuel-type/diesel/page/8/radius/60/postcode/cv107su?logcode=p

4) http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201203442608969/sort/priceasc/usedcars/fuel-type/diesel/quantity-of-doors/5/price-to/1000/transmission/manual/seller-type/trade_adverts/radius/1500/page/41/postcode/cv107su?logcode=p

What does everyone think of these?

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - ChannelZ
I used to own a 1.8 Nissan Almera and loved that car but it guzzled fuel... I noticed that they do a 1.5 version which I would consider.

My OH had one - an imported (from Ireland) 1.5i SE (but was a different spec to a UK SE). It was very reliable, only needing a battery, two sets of brake pads, one set of discs, tyres and normal servicing. She did 95k in 9 years in it.

One thing, it was horrendously slow. The 1.4 i30 is far, far faster. Both did around 42mpg doing a short weekday commute and a long trip at the weekend.

Being an import from god-knows-where, it was lacking underseal, and was totally rotten underneath at 9 years old. I'm talking Morris Minor sort of rot.

A proper UK spec one would probably be fine.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - bazza

If the Almera has a service history and is reasonably tidy, it would be my choice, £ 900 for a 12 month MOT, even if you scrap it in a year, it's cheap motoring, and if it's a good one, you're laughing. Biggest bill you can have is £900 and that's nothing these days.

To the Corsa - no no no. It's broken. Don't even consider things you'll have to shell out for with regards to bodywork and repairs. The advert says 'T-cut will sort it'. If so, why hasn't the owner done it himself and make it actually saleable?! Also they're horrid to drive.

Ok here's some suggestions (most are petrol but that's what you get at this price):

Mondeo:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120344286...p

You may laugh at a Kia Rio but my sister's partner ran one to about 140k in the Yorkshire Dales and it never died. He only traded it for a smaller car when he moved to a city!www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120344347...p

Nissan Primera - can be fuel heavy but then so can everything if you've a heavy right foot:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114943359...p

Toyota Corolla - I've a friend who runs one of these. He loves it and he does about 50 miles a day in it: www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120344220...p

The rest seems to be Focuses with high mileage or manky old Clios and Fiestas. If you can get yourself to £2k, you can have what you like. £1500 will get you an old school Yaris, a lot of Focuses and some Rovers!

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - TeeCee

Reliability wasn't brilliant though (electrics pinched in the boot gaiter... right mess).

Can't blame Rovers for that. Also a problem on <insert any make/model>.

What I'm trying to say here is that anything that has electrics in the doors or boot lid/tailgate (i.e. everything) and uses a gaitered connection to the car containing unwrapped wiring to provide more flexibility (i.e. everything) is prone to this one. GM vehicles are particularly famous in this area.

On my desk as I type is a PCB which is the Central locking / Immobiliser ECU off an Opel Zafira. It's got a big burned patch on it around a relay box that has a hole in it. That was pinched tailgate wiring......

Lots of other things were wrong with that Rover lol... I picked the worst of the lot.

Anyway, the wife has been rather generous and agreed that we can raise the budget upto £1600.

This changes things quite a bit!

It certainly widens the choices.

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120344365...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120244128...p

Similar cars, but much lower mileages.

Some bigger ones:

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120444413...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20114342500...p

www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/20120444403...p

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - jamie745

It always makes me laugh when i see men tied down by wives and restricted in their vehicle choice as a result.

Gives me a warm fuzzy feeling.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - thunderbird

Why not look away from the usual culprits, there are some decent cars out there for not a lot of money for the reason they are not fashionable makes. Last September I sold some bits on E-Bay, young chap came to collect them in a Proton of some description, basically a 4 door recycled Mitsubishi. He was the 2nd owner, 34,000 genuine miles, no rust on it and interior like new but he had just bought an Astra and the Proton had got to go. He wanted £300 for it with an MOT and a bit of tax, was tempted to buy it run it for the winter. It was off to the scrappies that afternoon unless he could sell it.

I am not saying buy a Proton but thinking laterally away from the cars that immediately come to mind could well mean you find a bargain.

The "perks" more than make up for it ;)

Any reason you have chosen petrols?

My gaze was averted when I saw this one... http://www.autotrader.co.uk/classified/advert/201202441839757/usedcars/postcode/cv107su?logcode=kp

Edited by vjohn82 on 24/01/2012 at 20:55

The choice was random. But you can see that, around this budget, the number of petrol cars far outstrips the number of diesels, and the diesel in the list is a very high miler. Not to say it couldn't keep running well.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - unthrottled

I bet your gaze was averted!

It's a lot of car for very little dough. Check cold starting for DMF rattles and hot starting are ok.

Thanks for the advice.

So many cars to choose from around this price. The choice is, quite overwhelming.

I'm quite comfortable with something around the 120k mark mileage wise so long as there is a v.good service history. In fact at this price range, being at the top end of my budget, I am probably going to insist on a stamp for every year.

I'll also be taking out an RAC warranty anyway alongside a breakdown cover. This will put my mind at ease a little in terms of any future problems that might come up.

Still can't make my mind up on this.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - sb10

This worrying about mileage on a car is total pifle,if its running fine without rattling and no oil leaks, oil is fine, and not burning oil,no reason why there should be problems,besides not many low mileage motors about, I mean real low mileage not clocked

Plenty to choose from but a low mileage could be more trouble than a high one

That's my problem now; too much choice.

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - skidpan

Just spotted this on the Westfield Owners Club website, sounds ideal if its reasonably close. They don't normally try and sell rubbish to fellow club members, that's what E-Bay is for.

2003 Ford Mondeo 1.8LX (petrol) for sale

Silver hatchback

Approx 55k

Full service history except for last year

A few months tax and mot left.

Truly, previously owned by little old lady.

Very recently driven from Margate in Kent to North Nottinghamshire. Drives fine, only problems I can find are faulty 12v socket between front seats and remote locking sensor/ key fob interface is poor (I.e. it will operate but you have to put the key close to the windscreen).

Based on Notts/ Derbyshire border.

Confirmed details & pictures to follow.

£1500 ono

Call Peter on 07968184107 if interested.

Viewings likely only at weekends at the moment.

Edited by skidpan on 25/01/2012 at 17:05

Right, I have bought a car!

Peugeot 307, 1.4HDi, 2002 52 plate, 5 dr, silver, 158k, 11mths MOT

Why did I buy it?

Full service history: service stamps from main dealer too. Cambelt changed at 147k. New discs and pads at the same time too.

£30 a year road tax and a 62 combined mpg (52 urban and 71 extra urban).

Paid £1200 cash and choped in my nail of a 206. Car was up for £1495. Cheap because there is a long scratch up the passenger side (someone in the family is a body work tech so that'll be sorted really cheap).

Everything works as it should and I'm really impressed with the drive and quality. Insurance was an extra £8 per month but mainly because I uprated to fully comp.

Very happy with it.

Next stop is a remap!

Peugeot 307 - Buying a used car... unsure of the high mileage - skidpan

I would never consider remapping a car 158k on the clock. The engine and associated components are nearer the end of their life than the beggining, any extra power produced could push any of them over the edge.

Use the car as it is and enjoy it. You were on a limited budget when you bought it, don't risk wrecking it within a few days. Good re-maps cost about £400+, tuning boxes are a total waste of time.