Citroen Saxo VTS - Saxo - Engine Noise - like loudest tappets ever! - tonytiger

Hi. I've had the crankshaft pulley fail on this, taking out the lower timing cover in the process. Now I've replaced the pulley, etc but on starting the car there's a very loud noise, much like extremely loud tappets - but too loud for tappets I think - especially as it wasn't making this noise before the pulley failed.

During fitting the pulley, I think I turned the crank backwards slightly - probably a couple of teeth - so I'm suspecting I've upset the timing. However, I don't understand why/how it will have upset the timing as the timing belt wasn't touched and the tension not adjusted.

So, I'd appreciate it if somebody could tell me if I have wrecked the timing and if so how/why?

Cheers.

Citroen Saxo VTS - Saxo - Engine Noise - like loudest tappets ever! - Peter.N.

It certainly sounds as though have the camshaft timing out by a tooth or two, the noise you can hear is the pistons hitting the valves. If it still runs OK you should get away with re timing it.

That's what I thought. :-(

I've tried to check the timing but I'm not confident I'm locking the flywheel correctly - I know where to lock it - but I can't seem to get it to lock fully. If I have got the right position then it does look like it's out by one or two teeth.

I haven't removed the cambelt yet - so maybe it will be easier if I do that, and just accept that I'll have to do it from scratch.

Citroen Saxo VTS - Saxo - Engine Noise - like loudest tappets ever! - madf

"During fitting the pulley, I think I turned the crank backwards slightly - probably a couple of teeth - so I'm suspecting I've upset the timing. However, I don't understand why/how it will have upset the timing as the timing belt wasn't touched and the tension not adjusted."

If you adjust the relative positions of the crankshaft pully and the camshaft pulley when you fit the belt, you have adjusted the timing.

I didn't touch the belt. It was only the aux belt, driven by a pulley on the crankshaft. That's why I don't understand how I've adjusted timing when it everything was still timed/tensioned as normal.

The cambelt isn't self/auto adjusting.

Citroen Saxo VTS - Saxo - Engine Noise - like loudest tappets ever! - madf

You moved the crankshaft - your words. That changes the timing.. .. unless you moved it back again. Unless you had all the marking lined up perfectly.. AND the belt not loose between crankshaft pulley and cam pully, the auto tensioner will tighten the belt and ..one pul;lley will move .. and the timing is out..

Did you mark all the pulleyt to the timing marks? And repalce exactly?

Citroen Saxo VTS - Saxo - Engine Noise - like loudest tappets ever! - sparky93

the op said he didnt touch the cambelt. so how could he have messed the timing?

he did say it was a aux belt ( crank to alternator or ps) or whater on car)

nudging crank wud make no diference.

perhaps crank pully fittment is bent damaged and pully now catching on housing?