Any - Next car - undecided between petrol or diesel - balleballe

My annual mileage has dropped slightly to 20k.

In this 20k I have a 30 mile round-trip to work 6 days a week (15 miles each way). 6-7 miles on main A road then 7-8 miles of B roads with roundabouts every 2 miles or so

I do a trip to Birmingham and back (total 450 miles) once a month, and a trip to Bradford and back (total 250 miles) also once a month.

I realise the potential downfalls of diesels and have to take those into consideration. Based on current fuel prices I would save around 2k a year on fuel with diesel. I am looking at DPF free models as don't really want to fork out 1k at around 100k (will be buying 2nd hand with around 60-80k on the clock)

I've had a few problems with my mazda 6 so want to move to a Jap brand with minimal/no European influence as reliability is incredibly important.

The current shortlist:

Honda civic (old model) with the 1.7cdti OR the type-s with the 2.0 i-vtec

Honda Accord with the 2.2 cdti OR with the 2.0 i-vtec

Mazda 3 sport which has the 2.0 MZR engine

When buying I will be looking for FSH (evidence of cambelt change with 1.7cdti). 1 owner from new

Budget is upto 5k

Any - Next car - undecided between petrol or diesel - RT

Is a DPF really an issue with a usage pattern like that - I'd suggest not.

No, but all DPF's need to be replaced at some point. most around 100k judging from forums and HJ's write-ups. Also, you never know exactly how the previous owner(s) drove

DPF's also reduce economy by their very nature

Although I am certain my driving will keep DPF's 'clean' - it's a hassle and expense i'd rather not worry about.

Any - Next car - undecided between petrol or diesel - Avant

The Honda Civic Type S (2.0) is a very good car. The 2.0 VTEC engine in a body designed for a 1.6 makes for excellent performance when you want it, but at last 40 mpg on a long run if you take it easy. It has particularly good rear legroom, perhaps at the expense of boot space; but if you need a big boot, go for the Accord.

I haven't tried the 1.7 diesel in the Civic but I believe it's also reliable.

The Honda Civic Type S (2.0) is a very good car. The 2.0 VTEC engine in a body designed for a 1.6 makes for excellent performance when you want it, but at last 40 mpg on a long run if you take it easy. It has particularly good rear legroom, perhaps at the expense of boot space; but if you need a big boot, go for the Accord.

I haven't tried the 1.7 diesel in the Civic but I believe it's also reliable.

To be honest - I dont need a large boot; although it comes in handy once in a while. I was only looking at accords as I like a 'wider' car for comfort I didnt realise how spacious a civic was from the inside until I sat in one - and in reality it's not too much smaller inside than the accord.

I need economy on long drives but I need a car with a bit of 'zest' because occasionally I like to put my foot down. After all - who doesnt?

Ive not driven the 1.7 diesel in the civic but ive driven an astra with the same engine for an extended test drive, so cant imagine it being that different. It has to be an 05 or 55 plate though as before that there were reported turbo problems.

Any - Next car - undecided between petrol or diesel - unthrottled

At 20K p.a the diesel is still looking attractive. Most 2.0 litre sized diesels will turn in 50+ at 70-80mph.

A similarly sized petrol will struggle to make 40 at these speeds. Yeah, it'll do better at 65, but who wants to do 20k/year at 65? And if you were so inclined, a 1.2 petrol would be just as good, and it would turn in 50.

Any - Next car - undecided between petrol or diesel - gordonbennet

From your list i would heartily recommend the Civic 2.0s.

I maintain my daughters car and what a pleasure to work on that is, nothing goes wrong with it, and good quality pattern parts from my local factor are reasonable...except don't ever try to buy a pattern auxilliary drive belt for one, none of them fit.

Even has adjustable tappets which i haven't seen in years, a doddle to adjust once you've worked out the sequence, sensible size tyres and everything electrical works without a problem at around 130k miles, she covers over 30k a year and didn't want to like the car at first but its total reliability good ride and ease of driving has won her over, a Honda convert.

Pity Honda replaced it with something completely different.

I too am fast turning away from Diesel despite having at least one since the early 80s, having now gone down the LPG route with my present car any possible replacements i look at with a view to conversion, unless they happen to be Toyota hybrids..

From your list i would heartily recommend the Civic 2.0s.

I maintain my daughters car and what a pleasure to work on that is, nothing goes wrong with it, and good quality pattern parts from my local factor are reasonable...except don't ever try to buy a pattern auxilliary drive belt for one, none of them fit.

Even has adjustable tappets which i haven't seen in years, a doddle to adjust once you've worked out the sequence, sensible size tyres and everything electrical works without a problem at around 130k miles, she covers over 30k a year and didn't want to like the car at first but its total reliability good ride and ease of driving has won her over, a Honda convert.

Pity Honda replaced it with something completely different.

I too am fast turning away from Diesel despite having at least one since the early 80s, having now gone down the LPG route with my present car any possible replacements i look at with a view to conversion, unless they happen to be Toyota hybrids..

That sounds like the type or reviews i've read, hence the attraction towards it.

I was also looking at LPG, but this also has to be serviced and if anything goes wrong should really be taken back to the installer. If I was to have a conversion it would be down in Birmingham (excellent quality conversion and cheap). Problem is I live and work around the North East though.

The other problem that i'm faced with is VSR with jap petrols if they're LPG'd - and flashlube/JLM is pricey

At 20K p.a the diesel is still looking attractive. Most 2.0 litre sized diesels will turn in 50+ at 70-80mph.

A similarly sized petrol will struggle to make 40 at these speeds. Yeah, it'll do better at 65, but who wants to do 20k/year at 65? And if you were so inclined, a 1.2 petrol would be just as good, and it would turn in 50.

Very true - I try to keep to 70 max, but usually 65 in my current mazda 6 (2.0 mzr) just to keep petrol consumption reasonable. The only problem is that it's just so boring!

Any - Next car - undecided between petrol or diesel - unthrottled

The thing is, it makes little sense to buy a big engine and potter along at excruciatingly low speeds in a bid to save fuel.

1.) you get absolutely no benefit from the big engine, yet you still have to pay extra tax and insurance.

2.) It still won't get as good economy as a smaller engine.

I know that now, but the mazda 6 is/was my first car

I had 2 grand to spend maximum - had to be an auto (auto only license at the time) and had to be 'reliable' so everyone told me to buy a Japanese. Had I known at the time that it was just a nicer looking mondeo - I would have looked elsewhere

I got the mazda for around £500 below market value at the time. came with full mazda service history and 1 previous owner. He even had the original purchase receipt.

As the saying goes ; "you live, you learn"