Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Trilogy

Why is it, and it is becoming more common, that vendors put a headline price of £999 and then at the end of the advert say its a mistake and it is really £2300? If I'm looking for a car £2000 plus, the car won't come up in the search. Equally if I want a car for under £1000, finding one listed at 999, which at the end is 2300 isn't going to be of interest.

Mazda Mazda6 2.0L TS2 5dr Hatchback £999 2002 (52 reg), Hatchback Trade seller, distance: 166 miles
  • 56,562 miles
  • Manual
  • 2.0L
  • Petrol
5 Doors, Manual, Hatchback, Petrol, 56,562 miles, Silver. ******PRICE 2300******* 5 doors, manual, petrol, 56.564 miles, hatchback, …

The worst ad I've seen is one where the vendor said it was his girlfriend's fault. *****y idiot!!! I hope she dumped him!!

And why has the ad I've shown got private seller and trade?

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - unthrottled

Silly trick. Like you say, it attracts only timewasters. I would ignore all badly written/ambiguous adverts because I think it reflects badly on the vendor. You don't need to be a petrol head to get the basic facts across clearly.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Paul G1pdc

another point on the 'trader is milage....

I wanted a car about 5 months ago, with under 30k as I travel 16k per year so don't want to start with high milage....

theres a large qty of cars listed 23k or 15k etc in the milage search....

then you open the advert and is states an error in the sales waffle and the cars infact covered 123,000 or 115,000....etc......

or adverts for eg a Range Rover 61 plate for 10k, you open the advert knowinf full well its rubbish and it'll say...."we can help you buy a car like this for 10k...." guess its just down to the amount of cars for sale,. that a %age are going to be errrr made up......

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - 475TBJ

Autotrader should clamp down on this.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - madf

It's the scams with a car underpriced by £4k which uses an established trader's name etc.. and then in the text says ring... another number.

Obviously a scam. Obviously they make money with it. I email the garage to say they have been hijacked and it disappears after 1 hour so Autotrader must know there is a problem...

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - tony g
Hi MADf.
Your right about adverts being hijacked by scammers ,auto trader had to introduce another level of access security ,with their trade accounts ,to prevent them being taken over .

When you responded to the e mail or rang the number that was overprinted onto the picture of the car ,you were asked to pay money into an account .To make it worthwhile for the supposed seller to bring the car from the north of Scotland where he lived .

It must have worked ,because I saw it had reappeared on an auto trader add just this week, didn't they use to call this the Nigerian scam.

On previous posts about misleading pricing ,and mileages .Auto trader are e mailing dealers to ask them to let auto trader know when they appear .auto trader say they will remove them ,although their still seems to be lots out their .

Regards

Tony g
Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Bobbin Threadbare

I'm sure I've said before that these drive me mad. Especially the mileage ones. Oh it's done 166 miles has it? On a 9 year old car. Yeah right!!! GAHHH!

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - tony g
Hi bobbin ,these adds are a pain,fortunately they're easy to sus out ,probably just best to ignore them .

As before ,auto trader are saying to the trade ,that they intend to cancel the adds when it occurs,let's hope so.

Regards

Tony g
Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - jamie745
'Price is 3995 not 999' then why aren't u advertising to people looking at cars which cost 4k you spanner! How to miss your target audience in one easy move

'This mondeo is sold, also have mazda bongo for sale...'

'One lady owner' is a nice way of saying 'dented doors.'

'Age related marks' no no, age doesn't cause scratches. colliding with things causes scratches

'New baby forces sale' that's one bossy baby!

Edited by jamie745 on 19/01/2012 at 19:21

Sorry bobbin, but that made me smile.

Well it is isnt it! See any typical small MPV mum-mobil with 'one lady owner' you know its rear doors have been thrown (by children) into the side of other vehicles at Sainsbury's since it was bought.

Well it is isnt it! See any typical small MPV mum-mobil with 'one lady owner' you know its rear doors have been thrown (by children) into the side of other vehicles at Sainsbury's since it was bought.

Indeed, all rear passenger doors on mpv should be sliding!

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Bobbin Threadbare

Sorry bobbin, but that made me smile.

I shall ignore it and remain smug that my car is dent free. Careful owner number two here.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Avant

"One titled owner"- Mr.

"One careful owner" - there have been nine, but one of them was careful.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - NARU

I'm a frim believer in honest adverts being a good indication of honest sellers. And dishonest adverts being indicators of dishonest sellers.

I never buy from anyone who I've seen acting dishonestly, even if it means paying a bit more elsewhere.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - corax

"Priced to sell"

Can anyone explain what that means to me? For what other reason would you stick a price on a car?

Excellent condition for age. That always makes me think you can't expect it to be in excellent condition!

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - rayleck

Another price 'mistake' which I have noticed lately on AT is when a car is advertised for say £17995 and when you go on the dealers web site the price has gone up to £18995.When you ask why its'the lower price on Auto Trader is the non part/ex' price the higher price is the price if you have a part/ex!.So in other words you cannot trust the prices advertised on AT?.Have only seen this a few times but certainly confusing.

"genuine reason for sale"

I bet!

"Full service history.."

And when you examine it , teh last two are missing..

"Immaculate"..

And when you look, it has chipped alloys and dirty engine..

Immaculate means as new in my book.

'Any Trial'=1/2 mile test drive round the block

'first to see will buy' Even if they make a silly offer?

Genuine reason for sale. I always think that is a stupid thing to state. Unless you're not going to sell it. Genuine = I'm fed up with it, it's unreliable, I need a bigger/smaller car, I change my car every year, every 2 years, it is reliable but I fancy a change, I nicked it and am pretending I own it etc.

The worst one is...

'Manufacturer, Model, 60k, full service history, cruise control, parking sensors, four new tyres...blah blah blah...babbly babbly....random inserting of 'premium' features which are in fact standard, drives very well...blah blah...................................Sold'

b******s

Taken from autotrader. I'll highlight and italics the one item or two items, which I've seen time and time again included by traders, as though it is something special.

5 Doors, Manual, Estate, Petrol, 150,000 miles, Metallic Blue, MOT-01-2012. PART EXCHANGE BARGAIN, FSH, 12 MONTHS MOT, ABS, Adjustable seats, Adjustable steering column/wheel, Air conditioning, Alloy wheels, Anti theft system, CD, CD Multichanger, Central locking, Child locks, Child seats, Cloth upholstery, Colour coding - Body, Computer, Cruise control, Driver airbag, Electric mirrors, Electric windows, Foglights, Front armrest, Head restraints, Headlight washers, Heated screen, Heated seats, Leather seats, Leather upholstery, Locking wheel nuts, Lumbar support, Metallic paintwork, Multi function steering wheel, Navigation system, Park distance control, Passenger airbag, Pearlescent paint, Power assisted steering, Radio, Rear armrest, Remote locking, Roof rails, Self levelling suspension, Side airbags, Sports seats, Sunblind, Sunroof, Telephone, Tinted glass, Towbar, Traction control. Insurance Group:14, HPI CLEAR, BODYWORK TATTY BUT DRIVES SUPERBLY, VERY WELL MAINTAINED WITH A More details

No offers

So what if i offered him £974?

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - corax

"No time wasters".

Fair enough, but if the car isn't decribed as in the advertisement when I go to see it, the seller is wasting my time.

Edited by corax on 21/01/2012 at 12:02

unthrottled, if the first to see doesn't buy I wonder if the vendor will admit it?

'no time wasters' means I won't bother to look at a car with that in the description.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - NARU

"Top of the range", when its actually a model or two down - screams that the dealer can't even read their glass's guide

"Fully loaded" - never know what that means

"Fully loaded"=original buyer hungrily ticked every option box available including the heated, leatherette ashtray. Unfortunately, none of the features still work.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - tanvir

I think that the specification is automatically generated when you create an Autotrader ad, from what I remember.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Car

|'ve seen a 2008 Toyota Prius on Autotrader at £3,000 with under 40,000 miles

I wonder if the advertiser meant to put it on at £3,000?

Not likely. I'd expect at least 6.5k for that. Unless its a cat D or a private seller who needs to sell something fast. Who knows.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Car

Not likely. I'd expect at least 6.5k for that. Unless its a cat D or a private seller who needs to sell something fast. Who knows

Its a private sale so may be the owner wants to get rid of quick or theres something very wrong with it.

I've found the advert. It screams 'outstanding finance' to me to be honest, but a simple check would determine that. If its got severe mechanical issues (presumably something which wouldnt show up on test drive) then an RAC inspection should determine that. If it all still checks out then either the seller needs rid of it fast or he doesnt know how much its worth.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Oli rag

I hate the way cat d is "hidden" in the ad description, I'm sure autotrader could suss those out with a program, to stop punters getting ripped off.

The £3000 Prius phone number is (032423) 4352433. That doesn't look right to me!!!

Well thats clearly 2 numbers too many!

He wants you to email him though thats clear from the ads. I bet you'd email him and you'll find its a guide or starting price for it going to auction or something.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Falkirk Bairn

It is a SCAM - a 3/4 yr old Prius is worth a lot more.

The "seller" would get more walking into a local garage with a genuine car.

Reported it to Autotrader

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - Falkirk Bairn

Lots more bargains!!!!

under 4 yr old BMWs low mileage - less than £10K for X5

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/bmw/postcode/eh21ay/radius/1500/sort/priceasc/seller-type/private_adverts/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/price-to/10000/price-from/5000

Reported it to Autotrader - so above link capturing 4 x scam adverts will disappear

Lots more bargains!!!!

under 4 yr old BMWs low mileage - less than £10K for X5

http://www.autotrader.co.uk/search/used/cars/bmw/postcode/eh21ay/radius/1500/sort/priceasc/seller-type/private_adverts/maximum-mileage/up_to_20000_miles/maximum-age/up_to_4_years_old/price-to/10000/price-from/5000

Reported it to Autotrader - so above link capturing 4 x scam adverts will disappear

Damaged repaired.

Autotrader idiots and morons - prices - auctioneerjim

advertisers beware ! scams abound, i recently advertised a car on autotrader, paid by debit card online. got a phone call 2 days later from a guy who sounded like he was in a call centre, said he was from autotrader and could he speak to whoever had placed the ad. when i replied it was me he then said the card payment had not gone through and would i please give hime the details again so he could re-process it . ha ! not falling for that one so told him i would be happy to ring autotrader on the number on the website and pay again, needless to say they had no problem with my payment. and had not rung me ! beware

2003 (53 reg) Hatchback 14,700 miles Manual 1.4L Diesel To Be Sold this Week. .Top of the Range Spec TSpirit VERSO Model 2.0 D-4D Diesel,Full&Recent Service History All Reciepts and old Mots,Average14700 miles each year, Metallic Grey with Charcoal Velour Isofix Interior, Climate Control Twin Electric Sunroofs, Roof Rails,ABS, Alloy Wheels, Full Electrics, Trip Computer, Cd player, Rear Parking Sensors,Privacy Glass etc.Non Smoker owners .Very Economical All Keys and Documents 9 Months Tax & Mot,Cheap Insurance Group 6 Exellent Throughout..Priced to Sell. Working Overseas next week Hence Low Price. £2,100

Headline is 14,700 miles. Later on, ad says 14,700 miles a year. Drongo!

Another thing that irks............ is when people, especially traders say 2 previous owners etc. The worst is 'no previous owners'. Its just had one!!!! So say one, you ************!!! I wonder where the term 'previous owners' came from? That's another one for 'JC' to have shot!!!!