2k to spend advice please - ds58

hi guys, be gentle with me its my first time!, i`m looking to downsize from a kia sorento, reasons low mpg high tax etc, i`ll have 2 k to spend, i`m a big chap who likes the all the whistles and bells of top spec cars, i`m thinking of a mondeo ghia x dont know petrol or diesel , a mazda 6 ts2 or a renault scenic 1.9dci dynamique, any help?, thanks

2k to spend advice please - Bobbin Threadbare

If you're buying a Mazda 6, buy a petrol one. I have a 2005 TS and it has a nice level of kit including climate control and a lovely Bose stereo system, which is excellent! Tax is middling, insurance is quite low. Mine has just ticked past 99k on the clock and it drives beautifully.

Petrol or diesel is a mileage question, as even without the DPF to go wrong, it would seem that a petrol car copes far better with mixed or town driving.

2k to spend advice please - ds58

thanks Bobbin much appreciated.

2k to spend advice please - jacks

Agree about the Mazda 6 petrol. I had one - not a single thing went wrong and it felt like it would run on to high mileage without problem.

At £2K level your highest cost of ownership is going to maintainance/repair bills rather than tax & fuel so buy the best condition car from the most reliable manufacturer.

Mazda 6 1.8 or 2.0 petrol have a reputation as very reliable cars with very few problems

Make sure it has a FSH - it's every 12500 on the petrol ones, avoid the diesel (troublesome) and obviously AVOID AT ALL COSTS a Renault unless you want to make friends with your local AA/RAC man.

J

2k to spend advice please - unthrottled

At £2K level your highest cost of ownership is going to maintainance/repair bills rather than tax & fuel so buy the best condition car from the most reliable manufacturer.

I'm going to have to disagree on this. If you spend £1000 on a car without trying to greedy, it will probably work. Everything works on my car-and it's worth less than the tax disc!

A £2000 car only has a marginally smaller chance of developing a major fault within, say, a year of motoring than a £1000 car. The problem is that you have a £2000 liability, but £0 left over to pay for any repairs. If you buy a £1000 car, you only have £1000 liability (so it's easier to cut your losses if something catastrophic goes wrong), and you have £1000 in reserve to fix it.

It is silly to think that a £2000 car is going to be twice as reliable as a £1000 car.

The key to buying a cheap car is to avoid the trap of trying to get a good deal. If sellers misprice their cars, it is invariably on the high side. If you see a car that appears to be worth more than the asking price-there is usually a good reason!

2k to spend advice please - Duncan112

Must agree with Unthrottled on this one, but at this price the consumables are a substantial portion of the car's cost so in no particular order..

Are the tyres OK (and how much are new ones if they are not - bit of a bummer paying 2k on a car with all the bells & whistles and then 2 months later being faced with over £100 a corner!!)

If the car has a cam belt has it been replaced recently (again £2/300 if you do all the idlers as well)

Has the clutch ever been done - depending on previous owners driving style once you are over 100k you may well be on borrowed time

If any of your local dealers are having a "minimum trade in value event" it might be worth seeing what they are sending to the auction and making an offer (on the strict understanding that there is no warranty or SOGA comeback)

Wherever you buy from at this price you're taking a chance but invest £25 in an HPI check and maybe £50 on a MOT (This is one time a cut price MOT might be value - if the garage is looking for work then they might find faults that are not really there)

Best of luck,

Duncan