Audi A1 / Polo - Audi A1 v Polo bhp/rpm - frigiliana

Hi i have narrowed my choices down to Audi A1 1.2 TFSI petrol or the Polo 1.2 TSI petrol , i have noticed the Audi engine is 84/4800 bhp/rpm and the Polo is 103/5000 bhp/rpm which engine would suit a hilly terrain ? , i am asking this because where we live i will always be travelling down hill and reverse on the way home approx 3miles down to flat motorways

Audi A1 / Polo - Audi A1 v Polo bhp/rpm - skidpan

Hi i have narrowed my choices down to Audi A1 1.2 TFSI petrol or the Polo 1.2 TSI petrol , i have noticed the Audi engine is 84/4800 bhp/rpm and the Polo is 103/5000 bhp/rpm which engine would suit a hilly terrain ? , i am asking this because where we live i will always be travelling down hill and reverse on the way home approx 3miles down to flat motorways

Surely its obvious, more power means more torque thus it will climb hills better.

Audi A1 / Polo - Audi A1 v Polo bhp/rpm - Peter.N.

If you are looking for torque you would be better off with a diesel.

I can't justify a diesel i'm only averaging 5000 miles a year if that so petrol makes more sense, i did suspect the Polo would make more sense but having no technical experience of the modern TSI and TFSI engines i thought i would get some

Thanks for your help

Audi A1 / Polo - Audi A1 v Polo bhp/rpm - Cris_on_the_gas

If you want to go up hills forget the peak power and go for the best torque figure. Afraid diesels tend to be better for this.

How about test driving both cars up the same hill and decide which you prefer.

Thanks again for advice, i have read that modern diesels with the D.P.F technology are best suited to owners that would expect to average far more miles than i do , so i had ruled out diesels . i will try a test drive to see which copes best

Audi A1 / Polo - Audi A1 v Polo bhp/rpm - skidpan

Just spotted that you have the engine in the Audi down as a TFSi and the VW as a TSi. Think you will find they are the same engine with the Audi in a lower state of tune thus slower.

Thought the TFSi engines were the 2 litre 200 bhp beasties in GTi's and the like.

Got the technical imfo from here. whatcar

h*********************/car-reviews/audi/a1-hatchback/1-2-tfsi-se-3dr/specifications/55908#tabsection3

Edited by frigiliana on 18/01/2012 at 17:51

Audi A1 / Polo - Audi A1 v Polo bhp/rpm - unthrottled

They are both the same engine (as an earlier poster said) but in different states of tune.

Happily both are turbocharged-and turbocharged petrols have fantastically wide powerbands-way better than diesels. You won't be stirring the gear lever much.

103hp is more than 84hp. No way round that! Torque on its own is nothing-and don't let anyone tell you differently. Either will cope with hills very easily,