Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - VoiceOfReason

Hi All,

Im New here so be nice.

Im looking at buying an SUV and am being tempted by the saftey, reliability and also the deals that Honda are offering at the moment, so the CRV sits nicely.

However, with the new CRV coming out at the end of the year, im keen to see what deals dealers are willing to offer. The EX model is my choice and with the Advance Saftey Pack this would normally bring the car up to around £33k, however Honda are doing a deal at £500 on the saftey pack and so the price is nearer £31k. Now with the new model being released, I know the dealerships must be looking to strike a deal on the current CRV models, and so I was thinking that a large discount should be offered. But I wanted to see what sort of figures you guys think I should be targetting??

Be great to hear your opinions.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - xtrailman

I wouldnt pay anything near 30K for a CRV, or xtrail, or any other simular car.

The CRV is only offering 148 bhp.

With that in mind i would say around £20K.

I payed £17K for my 171 bhp xtrail in 2009, that was over £8K discount.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - madf

New model means an immediate 30% drop in old model values... or thereabouts.

If you don't get that discount your money is greater than your financial sense. in my view.

Runout models should always be hugely discounted or they are economic madness,

See I was thinking 20% would be fair, but its good to hear people's views as this gives me an idea of what I should be aiming for.

To be honest, for an EX model with everything on it £20k is going to be to little even by my bartering standards. The car would be £31k with current discounts so I am not going to get £11k off.

Whether anyone thinks a car is worth X amount is regardless really because thats the price these cars are going for nowadays, and you do have to take into consideration the inflation between 2009-12 too.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - oldtoffee

I think you'll struggle to get anything decent off a CRV I tried 5 months ago and failed. Same with a Rav4 and a Mitsubishi Outlander just not much discount available. I often go to drivethedeal.co.uk and see what they are offering as they have access to all the best deals and there's no info on CRVs ie no dealers are looking to shift cars via them so no "deals."

if you're open to other choices, I ended up buying a new, top spec, 194bhp, auto Santa Fe for £7k less than you're thinking of spending and am delighted with it. Not blessed with Honda's legendary reliability (yet?) but a good drive and good value. Also worth looking at the Kia Sorento, same car same value.

Thats the problem, they seem to be rather tight in handing out the discounts.

I was thinking if I could get between 20-25% off the normal price, as well as get the advanced kit thrown in and some other small extras, that wouldnt be a bad deal (depending on what they will offer me for mine).

With Honda (or the dealer) offering an extra year warranty, free servicing, and 0% finance, its hard to beat. although having said that, if the deal isnt what I feel is good, then there will be No Deal anyway!

>>>>I was thinking if I could get between 20-25% off the normal price, as well as get the advanced kit thrown in and some other small extras, that wouldnt be a bad deal

ROFL. if you get anything like that deal and a fair price on your trade in there's a shoe in job for you at No 11 Downing Street!

Im going for 20-25% off without a shadow of doubt. If I dont get it then I dont buy.

The car will be the old model in a few months, and so it doesnt make sense to pay anymore than that. The trade in price will be the problem and may be a sticking point. We shall see.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - Dodge49

I bought a new diesel CRV ES in october. After a little negotiation I got £1000 off list and an extra £500 for my part ex with the 0% finance and 4 years free servicing they were offering at the time. With this I tried two other honda dealers and both refused to even match the deal.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - gordonbennet

Best of luck, i doubt you'll get any decent discount until the new model has been up and running for a few months, but if you manage to pull it off then good for you, i suspect they will pre register any left over, store them for a few months and sell them as used management cars.

Honda don't need to give their vehicles away, and if they did offer the sort of discounts you want they would destroy their previous models rock solid depreciation, and upset possibly regular customers, Honda (and Toyota) don't take them for granted.

There are a few at dealers 1 owner, as new, 500 to 1000 miles, all around £28k. Supposed to be almost as low a depreciator as the class leader VW Tiguan so no way Honda will allow them to be sold on the cheap, they'll manage the model changeover very carefully and servicing (probably 2 maybe 3 free services with the 4th being very expensive) and extra warranty and 0% finance is one way. Good news really if you're buying new and keeping for a few years, bad news if you think you can pick up a 31k car for 23k. You can't even get that level of discount off a Ford or a Citroen these days.

Edited by oldtoffee on 18/01/2012 at 21:13

Honda residuals are no better than other makes.

So i my view with out a good discount its pointless buying one.

In 2000 i bought a prereg Audi, it was a run out model, 180bhp.

List was around 29K, i got it for 23K, so 6K off.

There are way too many good cars around to be paying BMW, Audi, Volvo, money for a CRV, or Xtrail.

The prestige makes doo tend to hold value.

And then consider warrentry, Toyta now 5 years, Hyundia 5 years, kia 7.

I would suggest you wait for the Mazda cx-5, compare that to a CRV.

Or as suggested try for a prereg Honda, prereg still hold value, i sold my Audi after 4 years for £10.5K

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - unthrottled

Residuals are not the big thing that they're made out to be.

A 30,000 BMW that 'only' loses 50% of its value in 3 years from new, still costs you £15000 in 3 years.

A 15,000 Mondeo that depreciates 'like a rock off a cliff' and loses a whopping 70% of its value in 3 years costs £10,500 in 3 years.

Prestige cars lose less in fractional terms, but always more in absolute terms. If you're concerned about money-that's all that counts.

New cars should be seen as well earned treats-never as sound investments because, however you try to twist it, they aren't.

You make some good points and thats why I think I should be aiming for a CRV EX at around the -20% mark.

I have enough information from questions I asked to know that the dealer I am seeing has quite a few that they would like to get rid of.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - Tonto1

I've purchased 3 Honda's in recent years for myself and family. Got on very well with the local dealer and always had excellent service. Looked to swap my CRV for a newer model but could not get any more than £1500 off list (admittedly only a £23k lower spec iVTEC).

If you do a bit of research you'll find that Honda dealers have rarely been into big discounts - Civic perhaps, but very rare on Jazz, CRV, or even Accord. I don't know if this is the dealers or Honda just having them on tight margins. I ended up going for a BMW - actually got a much better deal.

I honestly believe the Honda dealer wanted to retain my custom, but just didn't have the margin to do a deal. Things can get a bit hazy when you have reasonably decent car to p/x (all about the price to change as HJ says), but I would have settled for a discount or more generous p/x amounting to approx £2500/£2800 off list i.e. I didn't think I was being totally unreasonable.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - Falkirk Bairn

Bob Gerard - leicestershire

http://www.bobgerard.co.uk/usedcars.php?&dealer=18992&model=490

A few grand off - new CRVs - made in Swindon and delivered to Leicestershire via Cyprus.

Warranty is 3 yrs from date of export from Cyprus and limited to 60K miles rather than higher UK limits (IIRC)

Saw this already, but there are also other sites offering decent discounts, and this is the basis of why I think around 20% is fair.

Have you considered a Santa Fe ?

New model due this year, so may be good discounts.

I hadnt no, but I am looking into them online at the moment (along with other cars).

Havent got my heart set on any car, but am taking all the information in and at the moment the CRV seems a decent choice if I get it for what I want.

Will take other people's suggestions on board though, as everything is worth looking at.

Just to give you guys an update.

I actually just signed off on a deal for a new CRV EX and im pretty pleased with what I got. Basically when you work out the 0% finance, free servicing, and the discount I have been given off of the car, and then the obvious bits like a full tank and tax - I managed to get what I wanted.

Also I should state I have been very impressed with the salesman too. Straight-up and honest from the start, makes a nice change!

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - unthrottled

A happy ending!

Indeed...I just need to try and sell my current car now.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - Avant

Thanks for coming back and telling us! So many people don't. I hope you'll stay with us.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - ravo

Hi , i hve just bought a new CRV - EX with safety pack.

Got it for £25k, including 3 years free servicing, dog guards and boot tray.

Good deal.

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - Falkirk Bairn

Hi , i hve just bought a new CRV - EX with safety pack.

Got it for £25k, including 3 years free servicing, dog guards and boot tray.

Good deal.

Bought my new EX 2 weeks ago - delivery beginning of Sept

2.0 EX Petrol Auto............£20550 but service pack not included

Better deal?

Petrol as my mileage is now sub 10K per year

Honda CR-V - Buying a New Car - madf

I look on the Best New Deals section of HJ and there are loads of Honda CRV discounted £4 to £6k...