Volkswagen Golf IV - Door light/sensor - richiek

Hi all, when I open the driver's door on my golf the light in the door card doesn't come on and neither do the courtesy lights or the dash display to say the door is open. Also, if I don't put the key in the ignition within 30 seconds the alarm goes off. The door lights and courtesy lights come on when you open all the other doors so is there a sensor in the driver's door that needs changing or something as there are no plungers to change like on the older cars?

Volkswagen Golf IV - Door light/sensor - elekie&a/c doctor

The micro switch for the courtesy light circuit is part of the door latch.Usual fix is to replace the latch assy .Not an easy task as the complete door innards need to be removed.Try a squirt of lube into the latch,you may get lucky.hth

Volkswagen Golf IV - Door light/sensor - wattie14

The micro switch for the courtesy light circuit is part of the door latch.Usual fix is to replace the latch assy .Not an easy task as the complete door innards need to be removed.Try a squirt of lube into the latch,you may get lucky.hth

all i did with mine when i finaly figured it out, was just to adjust the door catch on the door pillar so it would make contact with the micro switch at the back.

Some on the VAG forum have said it's part of the door lock mechanism and you guys are saying it's part of the latch. I may just take the door card off over the weekend and have a play around, quirt a bit of contact cleaner here and there and see what happens. If that doesn't work I'll probably just have to get used to it being a bit of an inconvenience. Cheers anyway guys!

Volkswagen Golf IV - Door light/sensor - TeeCee

Door lock mechanism / latch = potato / potahto....

Strictly speaking "latch" is more correct, as the switch detects whether the door is open or closed rather than whether it's locked or unlocked.

Volkswagen Golf IV - Door light/sensor - VR6

Here are a couple of how-tos. First one is how to get to the mechanisim, second is how to repair.

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1015107

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?1542461

Thanks for the help guys and those links VR6 are superb.