New tyres - front or rear? - andymc {P}
Hello all, hope Christmas went by safely and snugly. I'm just back from a little jaunt to extended family in York and driving home tonight in the beemer, I was going around a large roundabout in third at low to moderate speed when my back end went out unexpectedly. No harm done, and I got it under control again straight away, but was a little shocked as I didn't think the slight wetness on the road would have been enough to provoke this at such low speed. As I've mentioned before, this is my first RWD car and I was able to drive on ice the other week with no mishap - I just didn't think that this level of caution would be required in all but the driest of conditions!
Anyway, it made me think that the rear tyres, while still legal, are more worn than the front ones and I should probably replace them to try and guard against a repeat performance. Can't really afford a full set, so it'll just be a pair, and there's a lot of life left in the front tyres in any case. I know there's a variety of opinion out there about whether better-gripping tyres should be fitted to front or rear wheels. I would normally fit a pair of new tyres to the front wheels for better traction and straight-line stopping, but this being RWD I am inclined to put new ones on the back. Does anyone with experience of RWD cars agree/disagree with my thinking?
New tyres - front or rear? - wemyss
Andy, If you go to www.driveradviser.com/ which is Dunlops web site and find FAQ they say you should fit them on the rear irrespective of front or rear wheel drive.
They say that this is also the advice of BRA (British Rubber Association).
Lots of advice on tyres here.
alvin
New tyres - front or rear? - Dizzy {P}
Yes, last time we had this discussion I checked the websites of four major tyre manufacturers and every one of them said the same - best tyres on the back regardless of RWD or FWD.
New tyres - front or rear? - nick
There was a feature on this topic on one of the motoring programmes a while back, can't remember which one. They took a fwd drive car and tested the stopping distances in the wet and dry with new tyres all round, worn on the front and new on the back, and new on the front and worn on the back.
The best (obviously) was new all round, but new on the back/worn front stopped in a significantly shorter distance than the other way round. I can see no reason why this wouldn't be the same with a rwd car.
So put them on the back.
New tyres - front or rear? - bazza
Years ago, after learning to drive in a Mini and then owning a succession of Coopers, 1275s etc, I acquired a 1.9 Cavalier, the old RWD version, based on the Ascona. After years of power-on understeer, I found it very tricky at first to control the very easily provoked oversteer on damp roundabouts etc. After a while it became very entertaining but was always there to bite back unexpectedly, (which it frequently did)! I don’t know how the BMW compares but expect it’s similar.
I would have thought you need as much grip at the back as possible to limit this tendency. I would personally fork out for new ones on the back. IMO tyres are cheap in the big scheme of things and it’s not worth skimping.
First of all, apologies for bringing up a topic which has obviously been covered before. It seems the consensus is to put the new ones on the back so that's what I'll do. The programme mentioned was Driven, and yes they did recommend fitting better tyres to the rear if you had to make a choice (as opposed to best option of new all round). IIRC, they demonstrated this by braking hard going round a bend on a wet test track - the car spun out of control when the more worn tyres were fitted to the rear, whereas there was virtually no loss of traction when they were fitted to the front. I can't remember now if the programme had included a straight-line stop or not.

My thoughts on fitting new ones at the front of a FWD car were based on the reaction to the show at the time - there was a fair amount of backlash over on their forum that the basis for this recommendation was flawed, the counter-argument being that in straight-line emergency stops (the most common kind) the front tyres take the brunt of the strain and therefore needed to grip better. Is there anything to this theory, or is it just nonsense?

Now that my Leon has over 19k miles on it, the front tyres are slightly more worn than the rear ones, and I had intended either swapping them soon, or fitting new ones to the front after another 3k miles or so. I guess I should leave them in place for the time being then swap the less worn ones onto the front and put new ones on the back. I know that new tyres are a small investment for safety, but there is definitely no need to replace the front ones on the Beemer, nor the existing rear ones on the Leon.
New tyres - front or rear? - rg
My only nasty "whoopsie" in almost 1m miles of company mileage since 1985 has been with a 316 (hardly the most powerful BM..), with tyres still well above the legal limit, and a wet "cloverleaf" 270 deg bending approach to a dual carriageway.

It seems that the 3-series are fairly unforgiving of rear tyre wear. As I found out. One spin.

I had been used to a Mazda 323 which hung on in the most ridiculous circumstances, wet or dry. Giving rise to four wheel drift up on the long fast curves on the A68 near Carter Bar.

One would think that the BM, normally so stable, would be that much better. Not so.

rg
New tyres - front or rear? - vivien
Andy, If you go to www.driveradviser.com/ which is Dunlops web site
and find FAQ they say you should fit them on the
rear irrespective of front or rear wheel drive.
They say that this is also the advice of BRA (British
Rubber Association).
Lots of advice on tyres here.
alvin

Hello
I agreed with what you [and others]said.
I wonder why I had to have an argument with a Mazda dealer who, without consulting me, took the newly-tyred wheels off the back and put them on the front at servicing, telling me I was wrong when I protested. Thanks for agreeing. Could it be to do with putting down a not-very-young woman?
Vivien
New tyres - front or rear? - Cyd
Expert advice is to fit the best tyres to the rear irrespective of which drive format the car has. This was amply demonstrated by the Driven programme by braking mid bend in the wet. The same 'spinning out of control' feeling would also come upon you if you braked hard in a straight line on a split coefficient surface. These two circumstances are the cause of a significant number of severe accidents. They often end up with the car taking an impact from the side - where the car is weakest and you are least likely to survive. Hence the increasing inclusion of side impact protection systems, including inflatable curtains.

On good tarmac with a light water coating there would be little difference in the braking distance whichever end the good tyres are on (probably slightly better with best tyres at front). Only when it is very wet would the difference be large (also heavily dependant on the state of the tarmac). However, whilst this might result in an accident it will be a frontal impact. Under these circumstances the car is working at its best to protect you and you stand the best chances of survival.

As mentioned a car works at its best when all four tyres are nearly new. In cases where some tyres are worn, no one solution can provide best performance under all circumstances. Keeping control of the car is the singe most important factor in trying to avoid an accident and since seeing into the future is a difficult task and it cannot be predicted what type of accident you are going to have, the balanced view is to put the new tyres on the back - overall you will be in the best condition to avoid the most severe types of accident (or at least keep the accident survivable - the car is expendable).

Hope this helps.
On the point of your last question - in my rallying days I was always a RWD merchant and agree that best tyres go on the back. I've never had to test out the theory for front drivers.
New tyres - front or rear? - Ian (Cape Town)
I only drove RWD for years, and it was quite an education when I bought the astra.
The main problem with a FWD is it is less forgiving in different circumstances - if for example you have a full boot, backseat and a full tank, the back is less prone to coming out, but if you unload the boot/backseat it is incredibly noticeable when the back starts to lose grip much sooner.
New tyres - front or rear? - Bats
I think there's some excellent advice given in this thread but also one of the biggest factors that affects grip and traction on wet/greasy roads is the ultimate quality of the tyres on the car. Earlier this year I bought a Pug 205 DTurbo that had 4 x almost new tyres already fitted. They were a brand that I had never seen before - Paseo I think they were called. The grip / handling was absolutely fine in dry weather but the car had a horrible habit of understeering on wet roads. It all came to a head when I was going round a dual carriageway roundabout in the right hand lane one soaking wet morning and about halfway round the car didn't respond to steering inputs, went into a 4 wheel drift across both lanes and I was lucky to just miss the kerb on exiting the roundabout (also lucky that there were no other vehicles in the lane I drifted into). This was a bit scary to say the least. Anyway, I resorted there and then to get the tyres changed. 4 x Michelins were fitted and the difference in the grip / handling in the wet was unbelievable. The front wheel turn-in is much sharper, ultimate adhesion levels noticeably better and the point at which the car starts to understeer much more gradual.
My advice is don't skimp on tyres as they are one of the most important and overlooked components on the vehicle. Top brands of tyres cost approx 2 to 3 times that of the cheapest brands and there is good reason for this.
New tyres - front or rear? - Dwight Van Driver
The lesser grip will always rotate around the greater grip so as it is easier (IMO)to control a front wheel spin than a rear then the better tyres to the rear.

DVD
New tyres - front or rear? - BrianW
I used to carry round a couple of big bundles of newspaper in the boot of my 105E to improve grip in dodgy conditions.
New tyres - front or rear? - Robert Fleming
From an almost painful experience, I would say rear.

I put some decent (Pirelli P6000 'energy', or some such) new tyres on the front of my mk2 Golf GTI, and had the cheap old fronts put on the back (1 nearly new 'Montana', 1 half dead 'Kumho'). I'd heard the 'new on rear' advice, but thought I knew better, and was looking forward to some high speed cornering antics.

Anyway, 30mph, 3rd gear, foot barely on the accelerator for a gentle RH bend with a touch of adverse camber, slightly greasy road after a summer shower. Before I could blink, mid-pirouette praying nothing coming the other way, I ended up facing the opposite direction in the middle of a narrow country road. Rears now at front tyre pressures, better be careful, I thought, and it did used to understeer more when leaning on that 'Montana'at the front. Half mile drive before I found somewhere to turn around again.

Later that week, rear tyres deflated to correct pressure, I was (for those avuncular types who on arrival launch into a discourse on the route they took to get there, and the inferior alternatives)going up the M4/M5 slip road to join the M5 Northbound. Bit of a sidewind, I thought, as the car slewed into the adjacent lane. It happened again - ooh, this is fun - only second time I rapidly became broadside across two motorway lanes at 60 mph in the wet on opposite lock. Recovered, but a potential death/multiple pile up situation.

One of the positive aspects of running an older car is that there's enough money in the bank to maintain it properly. Although I'm glad mine's on 14 inch wheels - tyre prices are astronomical for larger sizes, which must surely discourage people from fitting good quality rubber to their enormous alloys (and most girls wouldn't know you're on 17 inch Falkens as long as you stay out the ditch, eh?). A large portion of this must also be 'you've got an expensive car, so you can pay more for your bigger boots'.

New tyres on the rear first (irrespective of which wheels are driven) - it's not just marketing guff.

Happy New Year

RF
New tyres - front or rear? - M.M
Robert,

Your related experience also flags up the wicked lack of wet/greasy road grip from some of the budget tyres.

In many ways these can be more dangerous than a part-worn quality make.

It expands the issue into a more complex one. If you fit new budget (rubbish) tyres to the rear they may actually have less grip in the wet than your part-worn Michelin/Pirelli/Continental etc on the front....what to do then??

MM
New tyres - front or rear? - Daedalus
Andy

I get my tyres from Costco and they will not fit new tyres to the front of the car under any circumstances. Best tyres to the back at all times. They will not even allow you to sign a form to say that you asked them to put them on the front and absolve them of all responsibility. I suppose this says something.

Bill
That's interesting, Bill! Last week my daughter had two Pirelli tyres fitted by a branch of Central Tyres that I normally have a fair respect for. She asked for the new ones to be put on the back and the half-worn ones on the front but Central argued that the best tyres should always go on the front because "they are the wheels that do the steering".

She phoned me and asked what to do. I told her to stick to her guns and advise Central to look at the safety recommendations on their parent company's website (they are owned by Pirelli). Central then fitted the new tyres to the rear as she had asked.

I wonder how many hundreds of Central customers have had tyres fitted in a position that contradicts their parent company's technical advice!
Sounds like a letter to their head office is in order - giving out dangerous advice. Think how much you could sue them for!
I agree, Cyd, it is potentially dangerous advice.

However, having criticised the local branch of Central Tyres on this issue, I would also like to say that they have been excellent in all other respects in the many years that I have dealt with them.

Regarding MM's point about the tyre-positioning problem where the part-worn tyres may be high quality and the new ones may be 'budget' - I don't know the answer to this but I'm amazed that people fit budget tyres at all. Not only do we depend hugely on the quite small 'footprint' that each tyre puts down on the tarmac, but budget tyres generally wear out faster in my experience.

I remember buying some Dunlops for my 'hot' Morris 1000 some years ago. These wore out in 12,000 miles so I then went for the cheaper Indias made by the same company and with the same or similar tread pattern. These lasted just 6,000 miles!
sounds like the lazy s*ds at the place didn't want to spend the extra 5 minutes swopping the wheels and re-balancing ...
Oh, That's another one for the motoring myths:
Our local hoodlums advertise a price for tyres, then in the small print:
"Nominal charge for balancing and fitting"
Nominal being 15% of the bill!
New tyres - front or rear? - Andrew-T
A lot of good safety sense has been deposited in this thread, but the fundamental problem will continue to appear because

(a) buying tyres - even 'budget' ones, and especially on big fat wheels - is painful, and economies will always be made wherever possible;
(b) most cars are FWD, so fronts wear out about 3 times faster than rears. New tyres will automatically go on the 'wrong' wheels, unless a two-way switch is demanded;
(c) there is no way to balance out the need for replacements at the front with that for 'best' tyres at the rear, except by dumping tyres with plenty of life left in them.

I suppose a long-term solution is to get two 'best' long-life tyres for the rear, and 2 or 3 times replace the fronts with cheap ones. Next time move rears to front, and start again. Problem is - who bothers with long-term solutions?
Hi again, just an update. I checked the size of the tyres before ringing a few places for quotes today, and I saw that the back tyres are a different size from the front ones! Rear tyres are 215 60 R15, while the front ones are 225 60 R15. The handbook recommends either 205 or 225, but not 215. I never thought to check this when I was buying the car, oh well.
I guess this was probably a contributory factor to the rear wheel skid at low speed. Given that the tyres have probably been there for over 12k miles, I wonder if this has done any harm to suspension/tracking etc.
Well they're finally on - 2 Bridgestone 225 60 R15. Cost £122 including fitting, VAT and balancing, so I don't reckon I was stung too hard. I think I'm going to have to continue with the cautious approach to bends, though - I experienced a slight fishtail pulling into a gap in the traffic when leaving the tyre depot! According to the guy at the depot, the only drawback to having the wrong size on was that my speedo would have read a little higher than it should have.
New tyres - front or rear? - JonM
Of course the fishtailing might be due to the release agent they use to get tyres out of the moulds. Need to take it easy for the first 50-100 miles until it's worn off - something that's particularly important to remember with new motorbike tyres!
New tyres - front or rear? - OAP
I turn to this site as the source of all wisdom on motoring matters.

Needing two new tyres (fronts down to 2mm) I searched and found this thread.

Having read all the posts, I was left in no doubt that the new tyres should be put on the back wheels.

Then I looked at handbook for Golf Mk3 and it says: The tyres with the deepest tread should always be on the front wheels!

So now I am not so sure!

UK sites for Michelin and Continental (makes recommended in 'Which?' report April 2000) don't appear to comment on this issue.

Shall I spin a coin?

No need to spin a coin -- just look again at the websites. I can't get Continental up at the moment but Michelin make it very clear that the best tyres should go on the rear, likewise with Dunlop, etc. It is the tyre industry's standard recommendation.
New tyres - front or rear? - OAP
Thank-you Dizzy...I owe you one!
New tyres - front or rear? - Peter D
On the grounds that the best grip is with the newer tyre( well after a 1000 miles ) then would you, if you were pushing a bit, prefer to loose the back of the car or the front. There you go it is quite clear that you need the front to stick if FWD and the back although may be out of line will follow. Isnt it stange how your tyres always grip the best just before they are worn out. regards Peter
>>Isnt
it stange how your tyres always grip the best just before
they are worn out. regards Peter

Only on a dry road. They are called 'racing slicks'! :)
maximum footprint, marginally less profile...
Yes Ian I meant in the dry and it was a rhetorical question about them being at there best just before they wear put. It is not just the footprint and profile but the compound compliance that helps I own a MkIII golf and I always put the new tyres on the front it keeps the car balanced, I am assuming the same make of tyre I prefere NCT's for the Golf. Regards Peter
New tyres - front or rear? - Nortones2
On the grounds that the best grip is with the newer
tyre( well after a 1000 miles ) then would you, if
you were pushing a bit, prefer to loose the back of
the car or the front. There you go it is quite
clear that you need the front to stick if FWD and
the back although may be out of line will follow. Isnt
it stange how your tyres always grip the best just before
they are worn out. regards Peter

Can\'t understand your argument, I\'m afraid. Have you not been through the condensed wisdom of the previous posts? If the rear end swings out, it does NOT follow the front if adhesion is lost at the rear. It goes its merry way, pretty quickly, depending on your enthusiasm when entering the bend!
Lets not go to extremes here. The point is, would you prefer to loose the front end, i.e. it does not turn in to the bend, or you get a loose back end . At least with a loose back end you can correct for it but to loose the front end then you do not stand a chance of getting away with it. Putting new tryes on front or back depends on the FWD/RWD wheel base and type of suspension but there is no doubt that a Golf MkIII with new tyres on the rear will , if pushed too hard, end in tears.

Regards Peter
All the tyre companies and OEMs put together spend £billions on R+D and making their products safe and then giving out the best safety advice. All these companies universally recommend putting new tyres on the back as the best /safest option overall (taking all sorts of factors and variables into account).

Please explain to me how you are qualified to give out contradictory advice.
If the back end goes on my FWD Opel, I'd probably be able to do something about it, as I grew up [ok, as I got older!] with RWD cars - Cortina through Sierra through Bmw etc.
But a youngster with only FWD experience would probably have a problem.
Having said that, its 'fit the rears' every time for me!
Makes economic sense as well.
Hypothetically, a front tyre lasts 1/2 as long as a rear on a FWD.
Hypothetically again... Imagine 40 000 from a tyre. New car, new 40 000 tyres. First change, the 40 000 NEW tyres go on rear, the 20 000 rear tyres go on front. etc etc etc. By replacing new on front only, you end up changing 2, then next change changing 4.
Certainly lightens the load on the pocket ...

[I think that makes sense! :) ]
Hi Cyd,

I'm not giving advice I'm just saying what I prefer and what best suits my car, and in fact what a Golf MKIII hand book tells you to do.
New tyres - front or rear? - 007

Peter...I need to replace front tyres on my Golf MKIII...I am thinking of either Michelin Energy or Continental 'Contact EP'.

Which of these would you choose and why?
Sorry to add a variable but I prefer Goodyear NCT's. Good all round tyre and controlable in the wet, it rains a lot here. 20 to 22 K out of the fronts 185 60 R14s on alloys in the summer and 185 65 R14's Pirelli M & S's on steels and Mk IV Trims. I ski through the winter thus the M & S's. I think I read one of the threads refered to Michelin Energy as being high on read noise double check that. Regards Peter