Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - rcflyers
Has anyone had a Mondeo with rust on it?
I have had a couple of rusty Fords before and am a bit weary of buying another.
I am looking for a earlyish turbo diesel one, are there any particular points to look out for on the test drive/inspection?
Thanks.
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - Mark (RLBS)
Change your Username please.

Mark (RLBS)
Moderator at Work

mailto:mark_moderator@honestjohn.co.uk
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - Blue {P}
You should check out the car-by-car breakdown, it will give you many of the points that you need to look out for.

My mate has an L plate one, and it is mainly immaculate, apart from body damage that he inflicted on it himself. :)

One wheelarch has a small patch of rust, but it is otherwise entirely rust free, and to be honest, it hasn't exactly been well polished, so I think it's doing pretty well. Also, the little rust that it does have would be easily sorted.

All in all, I think it's a pretty bullet proof car, good engine and bodywork, the first time I think that Ford were ever able to combine those two qualitys in one car. :)

Blue
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - M.M
It is unlikely serious rust on a Mondeo will trouble you before the car is scrapped for other reasons.

However they are nowhere near as good as the "standard" at this price/age point...the Citroen Xantia.

MM
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - kithmo
My 95 LX Has a couple of bubbled paint spots on the offside sill where the road spray has chipped the paint. This probably could have been avoided if I had fitted mudflaps.
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - Miller
Some very early or unloved Mk1's are starting to go on the rear wheel arches, but all the Mk2's are still rust free (unless cause by accident damage).

Im a loser baby....so why don't you kill me?!
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - Dave_TD
If you're looking for an early-ish turbodiesel, check it for signs of taxi use. They stand up to the miles incredibly well, so they get clocked an awful lot. I had an M-reg one that most people, when asked, guessed it had done "just over 100,000 miles", it had actually done well over 300,000! Diesel injection pump lasts around 240,000 miles, £1100 to replace. Turbo 300,000+, £1000 to replace.
It only had rust bubbles at the leading edges of both rear wheelarches and around the base of the tailgate, my main problem with the car was the front suspension wear.
Do Ford Mondeos Rust? - AllTorque
My TD estate is 3.5 years old and shows no sign of rust. It's done 115000 miles and it's history is routine servicing, an aircon pump under warranty and an alternator at 112000. It uses no oil; I change the oil & filter at 5K intervals and it doesn't need topping up when I check it between times.
Drive sensibly and you should get at least 43/44 mpg (some do better than this).
Run it on decent diesel as HJ recommends and this will improve the fuel usage (I use Shell).
It's a great all round car, practical, spacious and cost effective if that's what you want; note that it's no sprinter though and noisy if you wind it up.