Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - mikon

I have a Zafira (B) 05 SRI 16v 2.2 petrol.

I got into it and tried to start it and nothing. All the lights on the dashboard came on and the radio. But it would not start. Initially I thought it was the starter motor. Got it bumped started and I got it to a garage not a vauxhall maindealer. However upon further investigation it appeared it is not the starter motor it could be something related to behind the ignition could this be a faulty CIM? which was replaced as part of a recall.

The days leading up to this all the dashboard lights came on for a split second whilst driving when the key was in position 3.

The mechanic has had it since last Wednesday.

Since then the mechanic has looked at it and now when the key is inserted no lights come on the dashboard, central locking is not working, no lights nothing except the vauxhall sign is displayed on the Radio Console.

The mechanic has told me that the auto electrician has had is TECH 2 Laptop on it and it is not detecting anything its dead. He has told me he needs to tow it to the electricians so that it can be put on the more powerful TECH 2 machine.

I am now very worried that my Zafira is not repairable.

Can anyone help resolve this issue.

Thank you in anticipation

Edited by mikon on 10/01/2012 at 14:43

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - ChannelZ

CIM would be my first guess. Had one replaced on my Mk5 Astra, and the second one started messing about shortly before I traded it in. Only had the car 18 months.

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - sirionman

I did not know what it was. But Google did.

CIM = Control Integrated Module.

It simplifies the car electricity network around the steering column, and by means of reducing the network complexity it improves reliability. Apparently.

Regards

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - elekie&a/c doctor

before you get too involved with this and throw loads of money at it,get your mechanic to check the wiring to the ignition swtch.Make sure there is a good battery supply feed to the red wire,hth

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - unthrottled

If it bump starts easily then there can't me much wrong with ignition or fuel system...

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - mikon

Got the Zafira back today and it has had an electrical fault.

Something blew in the fuse box which blew the Battery and then blew the solenoid on the starter motor. The Auto Electrician said it is a common fault on the Zafira. He advised me to get rid of the car easier said than done.

Cost of repair which included new battery, rewiring and new solenoid for Starter Motor £150.00

Anyone heard of this problem??????

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - elekie&a/c doctor

Interestng.So what part in the fuse box blew the battery and the starter solenoid??Dubious explanation.

Not sure what in the fuse box blew what but that was the explanation given to me by the mechanic.

I am going to speak with the Auto Electrician tomorrow to find out exactly what he has done and what the exact problem was as I am not convinced and also to be told to get rid of the vehicle, why?

I have read on the internet about issues with the fuse box and water leaking through so I am not sure if this has affected my fuse box.

Vauxhall Zafira 05 - 2.2 SRi 16v Petrol - Urgent Help Required - Zafira is tottaly dead. - Victorbox

"I have read on the internet about issues with the fuse box and water leaking through so I am not sure if this has affected my fuse box."

Which when you dig deaper seem to relate to either fuse box cover not being replaced correctly, or worse the cover gets cracked both letting in water.

The diagnosis you've been given does seem a little strange to say the least! More like we kept trying things when we weren't too sure what we were doing (as we don't have the proper diagnostic equipment that Vauxhall dealer would have), but have now recovered the situation ...... we hope! Hopefully you will sell it soon so you don't come back to us.

Edited by Victorbox on 11/01/2012 at 14:31

Victorbox

Thats my gut feeling too. I cannot see how a fuse can blow a battery. If the fuse blows then the current would not get to the battery. I always thought that was the purpose of the fuse!

The question I need to resolve now is :-

1. What the actual problem was?

2. How do I prevent it re-occuring?

3. Why do I need to sell it? If they guarantee the work and it has been done correctly then the car should be as good as new.
Whats your thoughts

Finally spoke with the auto electrician.

He told me that water had penetrated the fuse box and caused some problems within the fuse box, which resulted in the battery blowing and the solenoid on the starter motor blowing. Although he did say he did not diagnose the solenoid problem.

He informed me that I was lucky as some of his previous clients had needed a new fuse box. He has dried mine out and repaired it.

He told me its as good as new.