VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP 2001 130,000 miles - VW Passat diesel fault codes - treaney

My son's VW Passat starts and will run (not smoothly though). When driving it has a tendency to cut out. Our mechanic put it on his computer and said that there were so many fault codes that it is not worth fixing. He mentioned things like crankshaft sensor.

I'm a disbelieving Thomas and was wondering if I purchase one of the Ross-Tech kits will this help me to properly diagnose what's wrong?

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP 2001 130,000 miles - VW Passat diesel fault codes - Peter D

Did the mechanic clear all the codes and then note what came back. Yes you can dowmlaod Vag-Com and purchase a cable off ebay. Regards Peter

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP 2001 130,000 miles - VW Passat diesel fault codes - cws

So many codes not worth fixing, eh? Perhaps more like a) can't be bothered or b) doesn't know where to start.

Anyway..........

Definitely get VCDS (that's the product by Ross Tech, previously known as VAG-COM) and go from there. There are plenty of people/forums/info on the internet who can and will help you.

Whereabouts are you located, as I have already have VCDS and am willing to do a scan on the car.

Good forums for VW TDI issues are myturbodiesel.com and tdiclub.com

If/when you do get the codes scanned, post them up here.

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP 2001 130,000 miles - VW Passat diesel fault codes - treaney

Turned out that the timing belt had slipped a tooth. Lucky to get away without damaging engine. Full new timing belt kit sorted it. Thanks to those who responded.

VW Passat 1.9 TDI 130BHP 2001 130,000 miles - VW Passat diesel fault codes - 659FBE

Two observations:

Sack your "mechanic".

The timing belt slipped a tooth because on this early PD engine, the hydraulic tensioner cylinder was probably not changed at the previous belt change. I hope you changed it this time - otherwise it will do it again. Later PD engines have a modified friction damped tensioner which does not fail in the same way.