BMW 5 Series E39 - Brake pipe corrosion - Tanemera

My MOT station advised me to have the brake and fuel pipes on my 11 year old 5-series BMW cleaned of corrosion and protected. My local garager suggests cleaning off to bare metal and applying grease, but I am concerned that the gease will wash off leaving the pipes unprotected. Is there a product better for the job?

BMW 5 Series E39 - Brake pipe corrosion - Kell

I use a product called Waxoil on the underside of my car and its great for protecting against rust! I give a light coat over the fuel and brake lines, you can get this in a spray can but i have not tried that out yet. Hope this helps.

Kell

Thanks for the advice. Please see also my reply to Gordonbennet.

BMW 5 Series E39 - Brake pipe corrosion - gordonbennet

Castrol CL. Waterproof grease.

Don't forget to buy yourself a aerosol can of Waxoyl before getting down and dirty, most likely be some points where the pipes disappear over subframes etc at the rear and will be almost impossible to reach by hand, and you'll need to spray them..these are arguably more important to protect as they can be an expensive nightmare to change..

Pay special attention to where the pipes pass under clips, they can get very corroded at these points and remain uncheckable unless you remove the clip, Waxoyl aerosol good for getting something under these too.

Whilst down there, check any steel petrol pipes for corrosion.

EDIT, Kell aready suggested Waxoyl, and it wouldn't do any harm to buy a 5 litre can, heat it and splash it about whilst underneath..however i would only do the brake pipes until after the salt has gone and you can wash the underside, if you Waxoyl the underside now you'll be trapping salt underneath.

Edited by gordonbennet on 09/01/2012 at 12:28

Thanks for the suggestion. I contacted my local small garage and he agrees with you. In fact, as well as a lift, he has spraying equipment that can handle Waxoil, so maybe he will just do all the pipes with this. So it's being done on Tuesday.