16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - motorwaycruiser

Hi, I was wondering if a 16 mile each way commute would be a problem for the DPFs in modern diesels?

My commute is roughly 15 motorway miles and 1 on the access roads so about 20 minutes door to door.

I've always bought petrols for myself and diesels for my parter (her commute is much further) but having done the maths on her cars vs mine and test driven her's on my commute to see the real world MPG the weekly savings on a diesel would be considerable. So I'm considering going derv but I don't want to buy one if my commute is so short I'm saving up long term problems.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - unthrottled

No problem at all. Your exhaust gas temperatures should be high enough that DPF regens won't be an issue.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - jamie745

There shouldnt be any problems as far as DPF goes or anything like that. Its really only an issue on cars used primarily in town at low speeds, you'd be using it on a motorway every day which would be fine.

However you will find a diesel model on the used market is more expensive to purchase than its petrol equivalent and can take a year or two to 'pay for itself' but those figures are only really relevent if you want a specific type of car.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - Bobbin Threadbare

Do the Parkers website comparison tool. It'll let you put your values in (local diesel and petrol prices too) and give you an idea of how many years something takes to pay itself back, as it were.

Thanks folks, that's the answer I was hoping for. I know the cost to buy vs sell will also be a factor but we tend to run our cars to death so resale doesn't count for much.

BTW Bobbin, I notice from your other posts that you drive a Mazda 6. Great car, I used to own an '04 2.0 petrol TS2. Unfortunately it had serious rust problems but I think I was unlucky due to a negligent previous owner, great cars and if I was going petrol the new shape 2.0 would be close to the top of the list. It's a pity the 2.0 diesel has such a bad record and the 2.2 is a little bit too new for my budget.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - Bobbin Threadbare

BTW Bobbin, I notice from your other posts that you drive a Mazda 6. Great car, I used to own an '04 2.0 petrol TS2. Unfortunately it had serious rust problems but I think I was unlucky due to a negligent previous owner, great cars and if I was going petrol the new shape 2.0 would be close to the top of the list. It's a pity the 2.0 diesel has such a bad record and the 2.2 is a little bit too new for my budget.

It's an awesome car - I get the impression it will run for a very long time, and I never expected to get that sort of handling and nippiness from that kind of car . I wouldn't touch the diesels though!

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - Avant

I agree with the others that the DPF shouldn't be an issue - but as well as purchase price bear in mind that if you're going to keep your car long-term, as you say, diesels can go expensively wrong at higher mileages.

I'm not sure what your budget is, but if you definitely want a diesel, think about a VW, Skoda or SEAT with the 1.9 TDI PD engine or the newer 2.0 common-rail diesel - avoid the 2.0 PD.

If you and your partner don't each need a big car, you could try one of the newer breed of economical petrol engines (VW etc 1.2 or 1.4 TSI or Toyota Yaris 1.3 or Honda Jazz 1.3 or any Suzuki Swift).

Thanks Avant. Your comment is well noted, We used to own a Passat (Jan '08 2.0 PD) but only had it for 5 months before it was stolen so we never had an opportunity to find out how reliable it would have been. I thought it was a great car but won't buy another for a long long time as sitting in them just gets me angry now.

I don't want this thread to sound like we've had bad luck with every car so I'd just like to add that apart from one rusty mazda and a stolen passat we've never had any serious issues with cars other than general maintenance and we've been buying cars for about 15 years now :-).

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - veryoldbear

With 16 miles the first 5-6 miles may well be taken up by warming through, depending on the size of the diesel lump. So the book consumptions petrol v diesel may be a bit misleading.

With my present 2.2 diesel barge I reckon its ten miles before she's really at her best. YOu pay for efficiency ....

Thanks, I've definitely noticed the same when running my girlfriend's diesel on my commute. Running it for a few weeks I got about 47 mpg (brim to brim) but definitely noticed the economy on the first 10 miles or so was much worse than the last five.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - barney100

I don't think a 16 mile commute warrants a diesel. The extra cash you paid for the diesel will take years to recoup in saved fuel costs.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - Galad

I'd also be very wary of buying a second hand modern diesel without knowing how the previous owner had driven the car. Dual mass flywheel clutches and the dreaded DPF issues when driven predominanty around town are enough to make me steer well clear of them.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - gordonbennet

I'd also be very wary of buying a second hand modern diesel without knowing how the previous owner had driven the car.

Agreed and how many misfuels there are to add to the lottery, and with older ones you don't know if someones been deliberately pouring something other than correct Diesel fuel in the tank.

A used Diesel was a good bet years ago, not such an easy choice any more.

Edited by gordonbennet on 08/01/2012 at 12:19

DMFs usually start rattling (particularly on cranking) so failing ones can often be spotted.

Worn fuel pumps can give starting problems (esp when hot). you can also keep a beady eye on the exhaust smoke, looking for any signs of blue smoke-which should not be there.

There's always a lottery element to buying a second hand car. Happily, prices reflect thgis.

Thanks everyone. The potential problems with a diesel are my main concern. For day to day running costs the diesel wins hands down and the torque cruising along the motorway is very appealing for me compared to a petrol engine in today's heavy cars.

It's the potential for the engine to throw a 1K wobbler that's the main thing putting me off. It's comforting to know my commute is long enough that the DPF shouldn't be struggling but I know there are plenty of other potential problems under the bonnet.

So I now need to decide whether the risk and higher prices of the diesel is worth the saving (about 800 pounds a year for me at today's prices assuming 35mpg from the petrol). My guess is it'll depend largely on whether I find a decent petrol within buying distance, there are a huge number of diesels to choose from but very few petrols with many local dealers not even selling petrols now.

Well, with mainly motorway driving, you won't be putting much stress on the DMF anyway. Yes, an expensive repair bill will negate any fuel savings, but if saving money is your primary concern...

...the most economical car is the one currently sitting on your drive!

That has been my view for a long time too. But having tested out a diesel on the same run for a few weeks and done the sums it's a much bigger saving than I thought it would be.

I also use the car regularly for other purposes so my annual mileage is about 15K. As I can fill up in the south of Ireland I can get diesel for the equivalent of about 125p per litre at today's exchange rate.

16 motorway mile commute on a modern diesel - thunderbird

OP asked about DPF's, unthrottled talks about DMF's.

Mr motorwaycruiser.

Hope the following helps. My daily commute is 15 miles each way. Wifes daily commute is 19 miles each way. Mine is 50% dual carraigeway 50% rural A road. Wifes is 70% motorway and the remainder on urban A roads and about 2 miles in town. Both of us drive diesels with DPF's and so far neither of us has had any problems. They both regenerate when they need too, surprisingly the wifes more often than mine but guess that is down to them being different makes.

Would estimate we both save about £350 in fuel over a petrol. Mine cost £300 more than petrol thus I was in pocket within a year, wifes was £1500 more but since she keeps car 5 years the difference will be recouped easilly. Add to that RFL is cheaper on diesels (about £40 to £60 a year) and the savings are slightly greater, servicing is the same.

But at the end of our ownership periods our diesel cars will always (based on passed experience) be worth more than the equivalent petrol thus the savings are greater than just fuel economy.

Add to that the simple fact that the petrol alternatives were a poor drive and its game set and match in our household at least.

Edited by Avant on 08/01/2012 at 14:58