BMW 3 SERIES 316 SE 2000 X REG - No dash lights when ignition on = no start - judk

Hoping someone can help....

Turned the ignition on and went to start the car but it wouldnt start (just turning over), then realised there were no dash lights on. I had to keep turning ignition on and off several times and wait for the dash lights come on which then allowed the car to start. Obviously there will come a time when that wont work and the car wont start at all so needs to get sorted asap.

Any ideas of what this could be please? Thought id ask here first before i get ripped off by a dealer!

Also have the airbag light on all the time...doubt its to do with the above but thought id mention it.

Thanks guys :-)

BMW 3 SERIES 316 SE 2000 X REG - No dash lights when ignition on = no start - Peter.N.

If you can make it come on by repeatedly operating the ignition switch, that's likely where the fault lies. You should be able to get one from a scrap yard for not to much money.

BMW 3 SERIES 316 SE 2000 X REG - No dash lights when ignition on = no start - elekie&a/c doctor

Ignition switch faulty.part cost around £30.hth

BMW 3 SERIES 316 SE 2000 X REG - No dash lights when ignition on = no start - judk

Ok great, you've both said the same thing so i will go with that. Will ring round a few mechanics tomorrow for a quote of fixing it. Not something id be able to do and i definately wouldnt want to break any nails lol.

Thank you both :-)

BMW 3 SERIES 316 SE 2000 X REG - No dash lights when ignition on = no start - elekie&a/c doctor

This is a very easy job for a competent mechanic.Takes around 30 mins.Use a new part only.hth