Nissan Pathfinder - New car choices - JohnCC

We are at a point where we need to replace both of our cars - a 04 plate Sharan and a V-reg Saab 95 Auto. Budget probably around £16,000 for both cars.

We have 3 kids and a dog and live in the middle of nowhere, so our requirements are this I think:-

• One 4x4 (don't want to get snowed in for weeks again)
  • One seven seater
  • One car reasonably good for occasional long journeys to the inlaws etc that can fit us and 3 kids + luggage comfortably.
  • One car with reasonable consumption for me to use to commute 25 miles each way to work.

Combinations we've come up with so far are:-

• a Sharan or a Previa plus an oldish X-trail or CR-V
  • a Nissan Pathfinder or Volvo XC90 plus an oldish Mazda 3 or similar.

I like the idea of a 7-seat 4x4. I don't want a Landrover. The XC90s look nice but I'm worried about problems at the age we'd be buying (60k miles ish). The Pathfinder looks great but reviews say it's not very refined on the road and is noisy to drive - also lower safety ratings. The CR-V looks great and people love them, but while it could do snow I don't think it will do mud. The X-Trail would be better there but I worry about VW reliability for a Sharan and the Previas are hard to find.

Anyone got any advice about either other combinations of vehicles that would fit our needs, or any comments on the Pathfinder as a road vehicle or the reliability of the XC90?

Thanks in advance!

John

Edited by JohnCC on 29/12/2011 at 10:43

Nissan Pathfinder - New car choices - gordonbennet

Tested a Pathfinder, i liked it SWM didn't, it went into limp mode on the test drive when SWM booted it so that didn't bode well for future durability, the interior was poorly made imo, we bought a new Hilux twin cab instead as 4/5 seats was enough for us.

What's this safety thing that you refer to, i'd rather be in something like this than a normal car safety wise every time.

Remember most vehicles in this class will be £450 VED if regd after March 06, whilst that may not trouble you it might have a constantly increasing effect on resale as the vehicle ages...twin cabbed pick ups being commercials don't have this problem.

Knowing how reliable, and how good the dealers and back up are, i'd be inclined to look at Landcruiser LC5 if you want a proper 4x4.

Refinement isn't what proper 4x4's are about, unless you want to push the boat out and get an Amazon, in which case you get the best of all worlds, but at a hefty price.

I like how proper 4x4's drive and feel, i don't expect or want car like handling from such a vehicle, those who do have to pay very high prices.

Nissan Pathfinder - New car choices - Alby Back

My brother in law has a Pathfinder. Bought it new two years ago. He's a bit in two minds about it to be frank. It's great for towing their twin axle caravan and indeed the seven seats suit their needs but he doesn't like it much to drive. Quite thirsty too apparently. A few niggling quality problems including a collapsing driver's seat squab.

He also has a 2002 Mondeo he bought as a "station" car but to be honest he uses that in preference to the Pathfinder most of the time.

Not a lot of help I know !

Yeah, Amazons look lovely but they aren't cheap! I'm not really in the market for a proper 4x4 but more a "soft-roader" I think. But I think the CR-V may be a fraciton too soft.

Funny that this site gives great reviews to the Pathfinder while other sites generally do not.

I think I need to go an try a Pathfinder and an XC90 and see what they are like. Would love to know how real the reliability concerns on the XC90 are though.

Nissan Pathfinder - New car choices - Avant

Have a look at 'Car Reviews' on this site, and in particular the section 'What's Bad' where any common problems are listed. There are more for the XC90 than the Pathfinder, although in fairness there will have been more examples of the XC90 which sells better.

Yeah, trouble is you can over-analyse this if you read too many reviews, and analysis paralysis sets in :)

Also, the sites have such different opinions. For example this site reviews the Nissan well and comments on general good reliability, but there's comments above to suggest otherwise. I suppose if you look around, you'll find negative comments on any car because people tend to be vocal when unhappy and quiet when happy!

I drove a Pathfinder and it's a great looking vehicle and I like the interior (was a high spec model), but I couldn't live with that gearbox and the engine is really noisy and harsh, so back to the drawing board on that one.

I agree the Subaru Outback looks good but the diesels are too new so no cheaper ones are available yet.

Was momentarily tempted by a Grand Voyager the dealer had that seemed cheap and ideal in lots of ways, but then read the NCAP report and the JD Power survey on it and thought better of it.

Probably off to look at an XC90 next! Thanks for all the suggestions so far.

Nissan Pathfinder - New car choices - gordonbennet
I drove a Pathfinder and it's a great looking vehicle and I like the interior (was a high spec model), but I couldn't live with that gearbox and the engine is really noisy and harsh, so back to the drawing board on that one.

Agree with engine noise, as for gearbox all proper 4x4's will have truck like manual gearboxes and i wouldn't be interested in one anyway, big cars should have proper auto boxes by default.

The auto box in my Hilux (LC's too) was if anything smoother than my old Benz, if you are going into large 4x4's try auto.